689 replies to this topic

#561 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:40 PM

This will very likely wind up being a team-friendly deal. Tough to turn down generational wealth like that, but Wander likely left a lot of $ on the table. 

#562 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:47 PM

This will very likely wind up being a team-friendly deal. Tough to turn down generational wealth like that, but Wander likely left a lot of $ on the table. 

He could have just taken 12 one year deals!

You're right of course. But it takes away all of his risk. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#563 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, the guy's set for life at age 20, and will be a free agent at 32.  Hard to disagree with signing that deal.

• BobPhelan likes this

#564 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 02:42 PM

I think guaranteed dollars are worth a whole lot more than future potential dollars.  Especially more than 5 years down the road.

Best case for Franco would being due about $50M throughout the 6 years of control and then $40M a year as a FA?  $45M?  That's if he's very near being the best player in the league.  So he'd be underpaid by about 1/3.  Worst case for Franco financially would be if he struggles or gets injured early on and would be sitting on single digit millions a of career earnings in which case he's getting overpaid more than an order of magnitude.

Of course there are several contract options in between, didn't need to sign up for 6 FA years.  But I think this is a huge commitment from the Rays that I can't really see criticizing from an estate-planning perspective.

#565 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:11 PM

It’s 11/$182M. Club option for $25M in year 12. Escalators starting in 2028 that can take it up to a total of $223M for finishing top-5 in MVP voting.

So $16.5M for 11 years. He could very well be a $40M/year guy when FA would have come. Sounds like a team friendly deal.
@BSLMikeRandall

#566 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 05:30 PM

So $16.5M for 11 years. He could very well be a $40M/year guy when FA would have come. Sounds like a team friendly deal.

The first 6 years aren't FA years though, so you can't simply divide the dollars by the years and get a fair AAV.  He has no opportunity to earn $40M a year in those seasons.  He gets basically nothing for 3 years, then about 1/3 of FA rates, 1/2 of FA rates, and 2/3 of FA rates over the 3 arb years.   So 1.5 years of FA value is all he'll make over those 6 years.  So he's really getting paid something like $28M a year ($182M/6.5) prorated for the realities of the MLB service time structure.  That's ignoring the option and escalators, which make it a little more complicated.

So he's taking a contract that guarantees him the equivalent of $28M a year right now as opposed to going yearly and taking on all the risk but having the opportunity to end up getting $35M or $40M or more for the FA years.

• BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this

#567 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 08:59 PM

Interesting a deal with such a young player gets done right before the likely lockout and new CBA. Wonder if it says anything about what will or wont happpen on the service time issue

#568 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:12 PM

The first 6 years aren't FA years though, so you can't simply divide the dollars by the years and get a fair AAV. He has no opportunity to earn $40M a year in those seasons. He gets basically nothing for 3 years, then about 1/3 of FA rates, 1/2 of FA rates, and 2/3 of FA rates over the 3 arb years. So 1.5 years of FA value is all he'll make over those 6 years. So he's really getting paid something like $28M a year ($182M/6.5) prorated for the realities of the MLB service time structure. That's ignoring the option and escalators, which make it a little more complicated.

So he's taking a contract that guarantees him the equivalent of $28M a year right now as opposed to going yearly and taking on all the risk but having the opportunity to end up getting $35M or $40M or more for the FA years.

I get that. What I mean is in 6 years, if he’s a top 5 player in the league, the going rate for that on the market could be $40M/year. The Rays won’t have to pony up that by paying him more upfront.

Thanks for doing the math though. I was lazy.
@BSLMikeRandall

#569 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:30 AM

What I mean is in 6 years, if he’s a top 5 player in the league, the going rate for that on the market could be $40M/year. The Rays won’t have to pony up that by paying him more upfront.

Absolutely.  But if he's just a top-50 player, the going rate for that on the market could be $20M a year, but Franco will still be getting much more than that.  Or if he gets hurt and isn't even a top-500 player and the going rate for that on the market is $3M a year, Franco will be getting 10X that.

Every time a deal like this gets done, its a player prioritizing security over absolutely maximizing potential earnings.  It ends up team-friendly if the player is as good as hoped.  It ends up player-friendly if they fall short of that.  The Rays themselves have had several of these deals and some end up working terrifically for them (Evan Longoria) and others end up going poorly (Rocco Baldelli, though his deal was option-heavy so it didn't cost them a ton).

#570 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 November 2021 - 05:34 PM

Those big market Rays stepping up and stealing one of the Yankees' FA starters, Corey Kluber. 1/8M with incentives to 13M

Love this deal for the Rays and their staff.  

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#571 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:49 PM

Not that he would have ever considered Baltimore, but I'd have gladly thrown more his way for a year or two than whatever Elias eventually gives Harvey for his return.

#572 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:58 PM

Not that he would have ever considered Baltimore, but I'd have gladly thrown more his way for a year or two than whatever Elias eventually gives Harvey for his return.

Would have been an option for me too in the lineup I put the Mullins thread.  I'd have gone 2/25 or something like that with a team option.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#573 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 07:23 AM

FanGraphs: 2021 Roster Review: Tampa Bay Rays

#574 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:04 PM

BREAKING: Major League Baseball has reportedly put an end to plans made by Tampa Bay Rays ownership that would have seen the ball club split its time in Tampa and Montreal.

#575 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:17 PM

BREAKING: Major League Baseball has reportedly put an end to plans made by Tampa Bay Rays ownership that would have seen the ball club split its time in Tampa and Montreal.

This would have been fun -- baseball belongs in Montreal.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#576 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:04 PM

They need to explore Nashville .

#577 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:55 PM

Nashville isn't big enough to support the Orioles and the Rays :D

• BaltBird 24 and dude like this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#578 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 10:31 AM

#579 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 February 2022 - 11:42 AM

It's interesting that Tampa draws more fans than Miami, since the Marlins have that snazzy new ballpark. But I suppose the stadium itself isn't enough to put asses in the seats, when the team is so terrible for so long.

It seems like they have a dedicated fan base, but no one is going to sit in that dreadful dome. I went to a game at the Trop. It was clean, and had wonderful murals of the Florida landscape. But it's just a dreary place to watch a game.

• CantonJester likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#580 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 02:13 PM

It's interesting that Tampa draws more fans than Miami, since the Marlins have that snazzy new ballpark. But I suppose the stadium itself isn't enough to put asses in the seats, when the team is so terrible for so long.

It seems like they have a dedicated fan base, but no one is going to sit in that dreadful dome. I went to a game at the Trop. It was clean, and had wonderful murals of the Florida landscape. But it's just a dreary place to watch a game.

Pro sports seem determined to shoehorn teams into the Florida market because of their population but it's obvious they're not all getting supported.

MLB - Marlins

NHL - TB does well, but the Panthers (miami) not so much.

NFL - TB does well (might change some with no Brady), Miami does ok I'm assuming and Jax is a failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=