689 replies to this topic

#521 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

Much prefer this from the Cardinals end. Liberatore is a top 50ish prospect.

#522 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:50 AM

Rays' Snell: Playing for reduced pay 'not worth it'

#523 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:38 AM

"Bro, I'm risking my life," Snell said. "What do you mean it should not be a thing? It should 100% be a thing. If I'm gonna play, I should be getting the money I signed to be getting paid. I should not be getting half of what I'm getting paid because the season's cut in half, on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there -- so I'm really getting, like, 25%.

"On top of that, it's getting taxed. So imagine how much I'm actually making to play, you know what I'm saying?"

Poor guy, he'll only potentially be making $1.75 million for a shortened season.  I'm sure all the other people risking their lives to care for patients, test covid samples, keep food stocked, etc can sympathize although they're making far, far, far less.

#524 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:35 AM

I see his point but this sounds like a whiney, entitled athlete. Not a good time to sound like that.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#525 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:34 AM

I see his point but this sounds like a whiney, entitled athlete. Not a good time to sound like that.

In general baseball has a tendency to act like a tool.  The other sports seem to be trying to not have their financial squables out in the open, but Baseball is going to battle it out over $$$, when people and businesses around the country are losing everything.

@mikeghg

#526 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

Snell is either stupid or uninformed.

1) His Union has already agreed to play for a pro-rated season pay based on Games Played....so in an 81 game season, he's already agreed to play for half his salary.  There are zero conditions at this point where he 'gets 100% of his salary'.  That's not a thing at this point, suggesting it is a thing means he's either stupid or uniformed.

2) I haven't read the proposed agreement (so I agree to defer this comment if it's wrong), but I haven't seen it reported as the stacking of cuts.  The 50/50 split is a buffer against the challenged revenue generation risks.  I'm guessing someone has already done the math so they think they know what it is....but couldn't the revenue split actually wind up giving them more money than they've already agreed to give up?

3) Taxes?  Did you really just say that?  Are you the only one paying taxes?  Have you not paid taxes in the past?  Does the proposed agreement change tax rates?  WTH.  You are already sitting in a state that doesn't have state tax.  Baseball has the complication of every State you play games in trying to get their portion of your pay.....but suggesting you are concerned about the hit you take in taxes, as if that's some consequence of any of this agreement  - current or proposed, is horribly and patently dumb.

4) The "risking my life" thing is incredibly stupid.  Baseball Players will not be 'risking their lives' playing baseball.  You have a greater opportunity to get infected going to buy groceries.  There will be testing and controls throughout the system.  Everyone in your ecosystem will be controlled.  

5) The away from the families thing is equally stupid.  If you have kids in school and you go to Spring Training, aren't you already "away from your family" for 6 weeks?  When you go on a 10-14 day road trip aren't you already away from your family that whole trip?  You are not at risk.  Your family is not at risk.  You guys live in a mansion.  It's sunny out.  You have a pool.   You aren't being asked to leave your family and never see them again.  All of this is temporary.  When a Soldier goes to Korea for a year, they get one trip back mid-tour to see their family.  You deploy to Theater for 15-month tours where your life is actually at risk.  It's part of the deal.  Health-care workers are putting in big hours to sit in the middle of the crisis and help the people that ARE infected around them. 

Baseball has the real opportunity to help heal some elements of this country, but there's nearly no sacrifice AT ALL for you to provide that service AND you get back to your millions dollar (which I'm fine with) salary.  You opinion is misguided and horrible.  You are welcome to it, but it's still a horrible opinion.

6) Finally.  Fine, stay home.  If you think whatever you think and you can't go to work because of whatever perceived (largely uninformed) risks or challenges you think you have, then I think there should be a provision in the agreement for any players not interested to stay home.  If you don't want to play for a portion of your salary, ok, you can not play for nothing. 

Nobody will miss you, we'll be talking about the guys that showed up.

• ivanbalt likes this

#527 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:55 PM

I see his point too.

I said in other threads that while I would watch the games, playing baseball at this pointseems like more trouble than it's worth.

That said, I also agree that he sounds extremely whiney and ridiculously ( the tax rate!) entitled.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#528 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:25 PM

I see his point but....

I see his point too.

I think his points are specifically wrong.

We agree, regardless, it's a bad look, but even if it a bad look, he should at least be correct on his point.

#529 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:07 PM

When Snell first said this I thought..."sounds like a Boras client".  You had Harper chiming in to agree with him.

I checked and he was listed with another agency.

Guess who actually just changed to Boras.  

#530 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:53 AM

https://www.mlbtrade...layer-pool.html

#531 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 08:50 PM

FanGraphsThat Name Again Is Brandon Lowe

#532 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:21 AM

CBS Sports: Why the Tampa Bay Rays are well positioned to contend again in 2021
https://www.cbssport...-again-in-2021/

#533 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:15 PM

Rays sign RHP Wacha to 1-year, $3M contract

#534 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:38 PM

FanGraphs: After Snell Trade, Tampa Bay's System Depth Approaches 20,000 Leagues

#535 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:10 PM

Chris Archer back to Tampa Bay

@mikeghg

#536 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:00 AM

ESPN: Pitchers Rich Hill, Collin McHugh agree to deals with Tampa Bay Rays, reports say
https://www.espn.com...ays-reports-say

#537 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:54 PM

FanGraphsThe Rays Finally Have a Full Rotation, At Least For Now

#538 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:22 AM

CBS Sports: Rays 2021 season preview: Projected lineup, rotation and things to know about reigning AL champs
https://www.cbssport...ning-al-champs/

#539 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:43 AM

What a grab... 

http://www.espn.com/...lip?id=31200308

#540 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner