• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1909 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 01:50 PM

Mychal Givens tossed a scoreless inning with a strikeout today on his injury rehab assignment with AA Bowie. Dillon Tate followed and allowed 2 runs and 3 hits with a strikeout in 1 1/3. #orioles #baysox

#62 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:04 PM

Some tough decisions coming when Givens and Tate are ready.

#63 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:21 PM

Some tough decisions coming when Givens and Tate are ready.

Voth has been better but he still has to be the top choice to go.

Fangraphs says Akin has an option so I'd pick him next. I know, you're losing a lefty, but I don't want to send down any of the righties they've all been great. Between him and Perez I pick the guy with an option, and it's not like either has been good. Give Perez mop up duty and hope he can figure out what he's been missing from last year.

#64 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:32 PM

It will prob be Akin as the first. Whenever that happens. Just because he has an option. 2nd likely a RHP. Could be Voth but they seem to want to keep him. He gives length. More than anyone else really. Baumann is essentially a 1 inning guy now.

#65 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:49 PM

I can not see moving both Voth and Akin.  They are really the only 2 that provide length.  Do we really want a BP made up of 8 guys who are used for 1 inning at a time?

@mikeghg

#66 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, seems like Bautista, Baker, Baumann, Coulombe, and Cano are safe. 

That leaves Voth, Perez, and Akin.  Voth is out of options.  Perez and Akin are two of the three lefties in the bullpen. Voth and Akin are the long men.

You're only allowed to have 13 pitchers on the 26-man roster, so it can't be a position player.

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:06 PM

I mean Akin IMO is clearly the first to go. After that, my guess for the 2nd guy would be Perez. Dont have to have 2 lefties. Youd have Vespi, Hall, Hernandez, and Akin eventually in AAA you can call up if you wanna go back to another lefty

#68 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:10 PM

With the 3-batter minimum rule it seems like lefty-righty matchups are less important now. You just want guys in the BP who get hitters out.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#69 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:12 PM

Speaking of Hernandez he has and has always had ridiculous K rates. Just had ridiculous walk rates to go with it. Granted SSS but Norfolk has his walks per 9 at the lowest its ever been at essentially any level of his career. If they have worked out some control issues like the seemingly have with Bautista and Cano look out.
  • BobPhelan, BaltBird 24 and makoman like this

#70 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:15 PM

I can not see moving both Voth and Akin.  They are really the only 2 that provide length.  Do we really want a BP made up of 8 guys who are used for 1 inning at a time?

Baumann was a full time starter until last year, when he was a half time starter. He's gone more than 1 inning a few times this year. He could do it as needed IMO.

Akin's gone less than an inning in 6 of 10 appearances, more than 1 inning only once. He's not exactly providing length at the moment.

Voth is definitely the longer guy in the bullpen, and as I said he is doing better lately. I could see keeping him if they feel that is a necessary job, but then I guess you lose Perez for nothing. I don't see anyone else going, unless they send down Baumann since he has options but I don't like that idea.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#71 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:38 PM

I would send down Akin and DFA Perez but I think they'll send down Akin and Baumann.

#72 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:41 PM

Sending down Baumann doesn't send a great message. He's been, arguably, their best RP so far not named Cano.

#73 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:44 PM

FWIW, I think the Orioles would be reluctant to DFA Voth.  If Bradish and Kremer continue to struggle and Irvin continues to be mediocre at Norfolk, Voth may be needed in the rotation.

@mikeghg

#74 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:53 PM

Sending down Baumann doesn't send a great message. He's been, arguably, their best RP so far not named Cano.

I agree but I don't think they're gonna want to DFA Perez or Voth.

• B00E00N00 likes this

#75 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:00 PM

I don't think they can afford to be that patient with Perez. It seems like a waste to keep a guy who you no longer trust in high leverage situations *and* doesn't give you more than an inning in low leverage spots. They caught lightning in a bottle with him last year, consider that a win and move on.

#76 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:08 PM

I don't think they can afford to be that patient with Perez. It seems like a waste to keep a guy who you don't trust in high leverage situations *and* doesn't give you more than an inning in low leverage spots. They caught lightning in a bottle with him last year, consider that a win and move on.

I agree, thats what I would do. And hey, maybe he makes it through waivers and you can let him try to figure things out in AAA.

#77 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:13 PM

I agree, thats what I would do. And hey, maybe he makes it through waivers and you can let him try to figure things out in AAA.

That would certainly be ideal, though given what he did last year I imagine some team will pick him up and take the chance he can turn it around. But I don't think the Orioles should keep him around because of that, assuming he doesn't figure it out here pretty quick.

How soon do they have to bring up Givens and/or Tate?

• BobPhelan likes this

#78 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:50 PM

That would certainly be ideal, though given what he did last year I imagine some team will pick him up and take the chance he can turn it around. But I don't think the Orioles should keep him around because of that, assuming he doesn't figure it out here pretty quick.

How soon do they have to bring up Givens and/or Tate?

A pitcher can be on a rehab assignment for up to 30 days but I would imagine at least one of them will be back by this weekend or early next week.

#79 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 05:09 PM

I really dont think they are overly committed to Perez. They have lefties in AAA. Again, I fully expect Akin to be the first move for whoever is first between Givens and Tate. That may buy what an extra week or two at most.

#80 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 02:20 PM

How bad is the Os defense. Min of 100 innings

3b: Gunnar and Urias tied for dead last in baseball at -4 OAA

2b: Frazier 22 out of 28. -1 OAA. ( Funny enough Urias in his limited time has 1 OAA at 2b.)

1b: Mounty 32 out of 33. -3 OAA

C: Adley 26th out of 40 listed for defense. They dont do OAA on fangraphs. Just list a defensive grade.

LF: Hays 26th out of 30. -2 OAA

CF: Mullins has 1 OAA

RF: Santander has 1 OAA

Both Ced and Mullins are fine in that regard but really bad arms on each bring their fangraphs grade to negative overall.

Add it all up and Os are quite clearly 29th out of 30 teams in both OAA and defense grade on fangraphs. Only Colorado is worse but those two in particular are a bit clear of the rest of the field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=