1909 replies to this topic

#81 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 02:41 PM

I'm certain that Mullins, Rutschman, Mateo, Urias and Frazier are all good defenders. I think that Henderson will be also. Santander is fine in RF.  Hays, and Mountcastle are the weaker defenders.  Stowers I'd expect to be passable but below average if given more run, comparable to Santander/Hays.  Ortiz and Cowser would be above average if they get their shots.  

Not arguing that it hasn't been pretty shaky to date, but I don't consider team defense a concern moving forward.  And aside from getting Cowser and Ortiz into the lineup, there isn't an external fix that should improve things.  The guys we have need to play good defense, as almost all of them are capable of doing.

• BobPhelan likes this

#82 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 04:36 PM

I am worried. I think we are legit one of the 10 worst teams and will be at the end of the year. Frazier is ok. Urias has surprised me with some of the stuff hes done at 3rd. Like for me that poor grade Urias has hes earned. Doesnt mean he cant and wont get better but hes earned the -4 at this point. Gunnar for one I dont love his reactions and hands at 3b. Also has struggled with accuracy of throws. Not as worried about the throws but I do wonder if the reactions and hands will ever be above avg. Defense peaks early and I believe that. So him struggling like this leads me to believe avg is the best we can hope for with him at 3b. You can see the extra time he gets at SS on batted balls helps him. He cant play there because hes inferior to Mateo and Ortiz as well for that matter. So it has to be 3b IMO. I just worry about the reaction time and hands. Even Mateo has some bad misplays. Not the most surest of gloves ala Bordick or Cal. He just has a cannon and a ton of range which makes up for the inconsistency at times.

Outfield is just OK. Mullins still has range but a weak arm. Santander plays RF in Camden well but IMO is shaky away from home and has a weak arm. Hays a great arm but weak jumps qnd therefore range. All kinda have a fatal flaw.

#83 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 03 May 2023 - 04:45 PM

I'm certain that Mullins, Rutschman, Mateo, Urias and Frazier are all good defenders. I think that Henderson will be also. Santander is fine in RF. Hays, and Mountcastle are the weaker defenders. Stowers I'd expect to be passable but below average if given more run, comparable to Santander/Hays. Ortiz and Cowser would be above average if they get their shots.

Not arguing that it hasn't been pretty shaky to date, but I don't consider team defense a concern moving forward. And aside from getting Cowser and Ortiz into the lineup, there isn't an external fix that should improve things. The guys we have need to play good defense, as almost all of them are capable of doing.

The early season defensive miscues are/were puzzling, but I'm confident it will - at worst - even out going forward.

#84 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 05:54 PM

"Defense peaks early" is generally true, but I believe that's more like 24-26, not 21. Gunnar's played only 1000 innings at 3B in his career, I'm definitely not ready to say he can't improve anymore.

#85 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:33 PM

He can improve. From literally worst in the league to league avg. I just dont buy a very young age has much to do with defense. Is there a bit of a learning curve? Sure, I can get behind that, but youre not gonna see some big transformation. What you see is generally what you are going to get.

#86 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:34 PM

Looks like Stowers will probably be sent down to make room for the new catcher.

#87 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:47 PM

I would guess OHearn is more on the chopping block than Stowers but we will see. Stowers has the option.

Could also just try to pass the catcher through waivers

#88 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:50 PM

Did McCann get hurt?

#89 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:53 PM

Do we really think the new catcher is coming up and they'll have 3, or did they just have a chance to pick up someone they like better than Bemboom in case something happens?

#90 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:54 PM

Did McCann get hurt?

Not that we know but he and Adley are playing together a lot vs lefties

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:23 PM

I hate carrying three catchers. Rutschman DHs a lot but still isn't worth the squeeze, especially with the new extra innings rules that prevents super long games where you may have a pitcher batting a couple times needing to be PH for.

#92 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:25 PM

I'd rather have a third catcher than O'Hearn.

#93 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:27 PM

Jist talked about it in the game thread. If its OHEarn Im good with it for awhile. They are gonna play McCann and Adley a lot vs lefties.

#94 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:28 PM

Bullpen isn’t the biggest need necessarily but wonder what the Nats would want for Hunter Harvey. Been a total stud with them. Still just 27, 3 years of control remaining, arb eligible beginning in 2024. They aren’t there yet, won’t be next year either.

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:30 PM

I'd rather have a third catcher than O'Hearn.

Don't need to limit the options to bad choices.

#96 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:44 PM

Bullpen isn’t the biggest need necessarily but wonder what the Nats would want for Hunter Harvey. Been a total stud with them. Still just 27, 3 years of control remaining, arb eligible beginning in 2024. They aren’t there yet, won’t be next year either.

As soon as we'd get him back his right arm would detach from his body.

#97 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:45 PM

Don't need to limit the options to bad choices.

Kinda do right now. None of the AAA studs are coming up to sit the bench

#98 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:57 PM

I'd have no objection to Ortiz, Westburg, or Norby coming up and Frazier being buried on the bench.

#99 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:59 PM

Problem seems to be that the O's value versatility, yet they have one guy on the roster who can play 1B, which is probably the easiest position on the field. Didn't they talk about Santander filling in at 1B? Rutschman?

#100 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 09:19 PM

McCann and Rutsch can play 1b. Really they could put anyone there if necessary. They arent worried about a backup 1b. Hence why it better be OHearn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=