1909 replies to this topic

#1 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 06:27 AM

Canton Jester, you get your wish!   Take it away gents. 

#2 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 April 2023 - 07:46 AM

Last night, Nashville brought in a lefty to face Stowers. He singled. So glad we're carrying 3 catchers.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 April 2023 - 08:33 AM

Last night, Nashville brought in a lefty to face Stowers. He singled. So glad we're carrying 3 catchers.

I think he is there for awhile.  I think O'Hearn will be up by weeks end.

@mikeghg

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 April 2023 - 10:15 AM

I think he is there for awhile. I think O'Hearn will be up by weeks end.

It’s super important to keep hoping bad players like O’Hearn do good things rather than take lumps and develop non-alpha prospects. Pretty head scratching stuff. Stowers and Vavra have not been handled well going back to last summer.
  • Mashed Potatoes, BSLJamieSieck and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2023 - 10:22 AM

I think he is there for awhile.  I think O'Hearn will be up by weeks end.

Gotta get something out of the highest paid minor leaguer.

(I don't know that's actually the case, but I bet there are very few making at least $1.4M)

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 April 2023 - 12:44 PM

It’s super important to keep hoping bad players like O’Hearn do good things rather than take lumps and develop non-alpha prospects. Pretty head scratching stuff. Stowers and Vavra have not been handled well going back to last summer.

I look at it differently.  I would rather have a guy like O'Hearn riding the pine than have a young prospect doing the same.  I agree, I do not understand, why Stowers received so little playing time.

@mikeghg

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 April 2023 - 12:45 PM

Gotta get something out of the highest paid minor leaguer.

(I don't know that's actually the case, but I bet there are very few making at least $1.4M)

Money is no object for the Orioles.

@mikeghg

#8 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 12:51 PM

I look at it differently.  I would rather have a guy like O'Hearn riding the pine than have a young prospect doing the same.  I agree, I do not understand, why Stowers received so little playing time.

Maybe Hyde went to the John Harbaugh School of Coaching in the offseason and aced the course Player Management 101.  Here's an excerpt from one of the chapters...."above all else, if a player is practicing poorly, he should not play.  Contrary to media bewilderment and fan outrage, following this rule will help you sleep better at night despite little to no improvement in winning games." 

• makoman likes this

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 01:07 PM

Money is no object for the Orioles.

At least they are willing to be upper-tier spenders somewhere.

Of course we really shouldn't be discussing this, as it is still Passover. Moses would find it very inappropriate.

#10 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 01:23 PM

Maybe Hyde went to the John Harbaugh School of Coaching in the offseason and aced the course Player Management 101.  Here's an excerpt from one of the chapters...."above all else, if a player is practicing poorly, he should not play.  Contrary to media bewilderment and fan outrage, following this rule will help you sleep better at night despite little to no improvement in winning games." 

In this alternative timeline...Despite the fact that John Means had Tommy John surgery less than one year ago, and the timeline is generally always at least 14 months, Hyde seemed optimistic on his return:

You know, I'm not sure exactly where we're at. He's kind of in a throwing realm at this point. I know people want to know but it's so hard to predict. But we're really hopeful that he's close. He's probably going to be week to week here. I think he has a real chance, maybe even to be activated this weekend when we go out to Chicago if all goes well. I know he's in great shape. But you'll have to ask him that. It really comes down to the player and how comfortable he is at this point. I know we'd love to have him but it boils down to the player thinking he can be his best, if he feels like he's ready to go out there and throw. You'd love to see it but he has to make that decision here.

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 01:34 PM

In this alternative timeline...Despite the fact that John Means had Tommy John surgery less than one year ago, and the timeline is generally always at least 14 months, Hyde seemed optimistic on his return:

You know, I'm not sure exactly where we're at. He's kind of in a throwing realm at this point. I know people want to know but it's so hard to predict. But we're really hopeful that he's close. He's probably going to be week to week here. I think he has a real chance, maybe even to be activated this weekend when we go out to Chicago if all goes well. I know he's in great shape. But you'll have to ask him that. It really comes down to the player and how comfortable he is at this point. I know we'd love to have him but it boils down to the player thinking he can be his best, if he feels like he's ready to go out there and throw. You'd love to see it but he has to make that decision here.

It's funny but sometimes I forget Means is even on the team.  I really do.  I rarely think about him and didn't until you just posted this. But you better believe he's important going forward, especially with the rather lackluster pitching performances so far this year.  They need starting pitching badly.  Hopefully Rodriquez settles in and begins to realize his talent consistently, Means gets back to being a quality pitcher and maybe even Hall comes up at some point and throws well as a starter.  It's still very early so I'm hopeful for those possibilities. 

#12 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 April 2023 - 02:51 PM

What's even stranger about the Stowers situation is that Hyde seems to be doing a fine job of rotating Gunnar, Mateo, Urias and Frazier amongst the 3 IF spots but seemed to be incapable of doing the same with the 4 OFers.

But as long as Ryan McKenna-Hyde gets his playing time, all is right with the world.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 April 2023 - 11:39 AM

So I was driving downtown today and the Warehouse has an “office space available” banner on the side like it’s a freaking strip mall in Columbia.

Is it just me or is this a disgrace?
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 12:05 PM

So I was driving downtown today and the Warehouse has an “office space available” banner on the side like it’s a freaking strip mall in Columbia.

Are you referring to the vacancy in general, or the sign advertising it? Lots of office space in cities all over are still sitting empty after COVID.

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 April 2023 - 01:12 PM

It is happening all over the country.  I don't know what left the warehouse, but I am guessing the cost of office space there is pricy.  I am not sure it even has anything to do with the Orioles.

@mikeghg

#16 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 April 2023 - 01:53 PM

Are you referring to the vacancy in general, or the sign advertising it? Lots of office space in cities all over are still sitting empty after COVID.

The sign

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 08:12 PM

Os are near the top of the leaderboard in many offensive categories. They are currently #1 in OBP. Refreshing to see Os teams work ABs and take walks. Something that was never the case even in the good times between 2012-2016.

#18 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 06:20 AM

Very encouraging to see the OBP leading the league.  Never thought I'd see that day.  I think it's been an organizational shift during the rebuild and it's something that Elias knew had to be addressed and improved upon.  You can see the younger guys coming up have an impressive awareness of the strikezone and how to work counts.  If only they could get Mountcastle, Hays and Santander to be more selective, this line-up would be a major nightmare for opposing pitchers.  Even without them, it still has to be a headache for pitchers to deal with because they know they're going to be throwing a ton of pitches when facing the Orioles. 

#19 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 07:56 AM

Os are near the top of the leaderboard in many offensive categories. They are currently #1 in OBP. Refreshing to see Os teams work ABs and take walks. Something that was never the case even in the good times between 2012-2016.

Very highly likely to be unsustainable but it's nice that the offense has bailed out the bad pitching.

Hopefully once the offense cools down the pitching will right itself.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 08:02 AM

Very highly likely to be unsustainable but it's nice that the offense has bailed out the bad pitching.

Hopefully once the offense cools down the pitching will right itself.

What exactly is unsustainable. Being #1 in OBP? Yeah that aint likely. I do think there are real under the hood changes that have been made and are being made that make them legit in some of these offensive categories.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Our Sponsors

width=