#42 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 09:19 AM

Every team in the AL Beast has a winning record

I believe I saw this month was the best monthly record for any division since they went to 5 team divisions.

#43 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 May 2023 - 09:42 AM

True balanced schedules please.

other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

#44 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 May 2023 - 11:28 AM

Gunnar has a higher wRC+ and OPS+ than Mountcastle. Still feels like Gunnar is scuffling a bit while with Mounty it feels like he has been meh but not horrible since the hot start. Just shows what taking walks and the refusal to take walks does overall to your offense. Mounty has one of the 3 worst walk rates in all of baseball while Gunnar has one of the 5 best in baseball.

If you look at most stuff Mountcastle can control....contact rate, LD%, exit velocity, etc, he's been very good. He's a year plus run of some of the crappiest luck I've ever seen. Not just with the eye test but the difference between expected and actual BA and SLG, he's the unluckiest hitter in the league. 

Granted, his K rate is a bit too high and he's never going to walk a ton but Mountcastle is not someone I'm remotely worried about. If he keeps barreling balls like this, things are bound to shake loose for him. 

• BSLSteveBirrer and JStruds like this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#45 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 May 2023 - 11:32 AM

True balanced schedules please.

other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

This version is fine. Unless you want to scrap divisions all together you need to play your divisional opponents more than others.

It would also add a lot more travel time if you’re playing Seattle the same amount of time as Boston

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#46 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:13 PM

This version is fine. Unless you want to scrap divisions all together you need to play your divisional opponents more than others.

It would also add a lot more travel time if you’re playing Seattle the same amount of time as Boston

Yes, I am scraping outdated and useless divisions. And you can deal with the travel time easy enough especially since I'd cut the season to 154 games. 11 against each of the other 14 teams. 

Or I'd be ok if a reasonable salary cap (and minimum) were put in place.

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:20 PM

If they’d just let commercial airliners use these physics defying “UFO’s” our govt is rocking, travel time wouldn’t even be a thing anyway.

#48 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:23 PM

11 against each of the other 14 teams. 

There are 29 other teams.

I guess you can wish for the elimination of interleague play and shortening the schedule, as long as you realize that it's just not going to happen in real life.

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:23 PM

Keep the Orioles in the AL East. It'll keep them from getting lazy and complacent. I just don't want to hear them making any more excuses....stop the whining and play baseball. Besides, the two dirt cheap teams are the ones currently leading the division.

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:24 PM

ESPN’s (Insider - ESPN+) first month grades - https://www.espn.com...es-all-30-teams

The Orioles get an A:

sxYDf2D.jpg

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:26 PM

Sounds like it would've been an A+ if McKenna could catch.

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:34 PM

I think it is time to let McKenna out of the dog house.  He had a horrible error but it happens.  He was a big part of us winning a game on Saturday so let's move forward.

• JStruds likes this
@mikeghg

#53 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:37 PM

I think it is time to let McKenna out of the dog house.  He had a horrible error but it happens.  He was a big part of us winning a game on Saturday so let's move forward.

Agreed.  .795 OPS as a part-time player.  0.857 against lefties.  And he's a very good defensive outfielder despite that gaffe.  And let's not forget, Bautista still had to serve up the dinger after the error.

I was as mad about the error as the next guy but McKenna has performed his role very well since then, including a few key hits as you mentioned above.

• Mike B likes this

#54 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:39 PM

Gotta be a Boston fan.

I think O's fans are over it. I mean, Pedro has straight up blocked it out, for example. So I think McKenna is safe in these parts.

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:48 PM

McKenna is pretty close to an ideal 4th OF. Even for a contending team. Has always been unfairly crapped on around these parts. You want defense. You want speed. You want enough offense. He brings it all. You cant expect a guy who never really know when hes going to play or get live ABs to be a great hitter when he does play.
  • Mike B likes this

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:49 PM

Agreed.  .795 OPS as a part-time player.  0.857 against lefties.  And he's a very good defensive outfielder despite that gaffe.  And let's not forget, Bautista still had to serve up the dinger after the error.

I was as mad about the error as the next guy but McKenna has performed his role very well since then, including a few key hits as you mentioned above.

Yea, had that play occured in the middle of the game, it would have been largely forgotten.  Timing is everything.

But as Pedro has told us, it never happened and we won.

@mikeghg

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:50 PM

McKenna is pretty close to an ideal 4th OF. Even for a contending team. Has always been unfairly crapped on around these parts. You want defense. You want speed. You want enough offense. He brings it all. You cant expect a guy who never really know when hes going to play or get live ABs to be a great hitter when he does play.

Agreed, and he is an ideal 4th OF for a contending team.

@mikeghg

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:55 PM

Yea, had that play occured in the middle of the game, it would have been largely forgotten. Timing is everything.
But as Pedro has told us, it never happened and we won.

Absolutely. Without naming names we have seen some pretty bad errors by others this year. Not just 1 guy. Those werent in as high a leverage situation or ultimately didnt cost us a win so they are forgotten. Ryan just made the bad error at the wrong time in that series. Literally every other OF made bad mistakes in that series. They just weren't in an extremely high lev situation

#59 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:59 PM

Absolutely. Without naming names we have seen some pretty bad errors by others this year. Not just 1 guy. Those werent in as high a leverage situation or ultimately didnt cost us a win so they are forgotten. Ryan just made the bad error at the wrong time in that series. Literally every other OF madr bad mistskes in that series. They just weren't in an extremely high lev situation

Agreed, I have never seen an outfield group have such a bad series collectively.  They have righted the ship.

@mikeghg

#60 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 02:19 PM

They all have flaws in the OF, but have leveled out. Hays has the arm but no range. Mullins has the range but no arm. Santander is a liability anywhere but RF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=