1909 replies to this topic

#101 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 07:29 AM

McCann and Rutsch can play 1b. Really they could put anyone there if necessary. They arent worried about a backup 1b. Hence why it better be OHearn

Yeah, if it were up to me it would be O'Hearn.  But I think they're going to choose Stowers.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

#102 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 12:27 PM

O'Hearn optioned for Torrens, per Roch. Still don't know why we need 3 catchers. The risk of losing the DH if one of the catchers is there isn't a big deal IMO. But sending down O'Hearn isn't a big deal either so I guess it doesn't matter much.

#103 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 May 2023 - 12:38 PM

I wish MLB didn't have restrictions on Ps because that last roster spot would be much better utilized in the bullpen right now, whereas with the Orioles at least it seems to be a waste on position players.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#104 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 12:42 PM

O'Hearn optioned for Torrens, per Roch. Still don't know why we need 3 catchers. The risk of losing the DH if one of the catchers is there isn't a big deal IMO. But sending down O'Hearn isn't a big deal either so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Whos the other option for 26th man right now. Or 13th position player. They arent going to call up a AAA stud to sit the bench. And Westburg, Norby, and Cowser arent even on the 40 man. So you'd have to go a step further just to have those 3 up here. Guess Vavra could come back up but that ship has sailed for awhile. Think it would take an injury for him to get a real look at major league playing time again.

The positive thing that all this tells me is they are go to let Stowers run with PT vs right handed pitching. I know theyve talked about playing both McCann and Rutsch more often vs righties in addition to always playing together vs lefties. Just think Stowers is gonna get a real look and thats a good thing.

#105 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 May 2023 - 12:55 PM

Whos the other option for 26th man right now. Or 13th position player. They arent going to call up a AAA stud to sit the bench. And Westburg, Norby, and Cowser arent even on the 40 man. So you'd have to go a step further just to have those 3 up here. Guess Vavra could come back up but that ship has sailed for awhile. Think it would take an injury for him to get a real look at major league playing time again.

The positive thing that all this tells me is they are go to let Stowers run with PT vs right handed pitching. I know theyve talked about playing both McCann and Rutsch more often vs righties in addition to always playing together vs lefties. Just think Stowers is gonna get a real look and thats a good thing.

I am not sure Vavra got a real look at ML playing time.  I think with O'Hearn being optioned, any AB's he was getting should go to Stowers.  I also hope they have plans in the near future to give Westburg a shot.  

@mikeghg

#106 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:01 PM

Again, dont take this as being a Westburg hater but how is he going to get time short of an injury. Apparently hes been playing some LF. Not sure how often hes played 2b this year but Ortiz is the guy to replace Frazier or Mateo. Westburg might get the call if it were to be Gunnar. Just think hes gonna be a corner infield guy and only an emergency SS or 2b.

#107 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:20 PM

I wish MLB didn't have restrictions on Ps because that last roster spot would be much better utilized in the bullpen right now, whereas with the Orioles at least it seems to be a waste on position players.

There should be zero, literally zero, restrictions on the roster makeup. Teams should have 26 spots to use and field a team as they see fit. If you want to carry 11 field players and 15 pitchers who cares? Its a risk and if the team is willing to go that route then have at it.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#108 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:39 PM

There should be zero, literally zero, restrictions on the roster makeup. Teams should have 26 spots to use and field a team as they see fit. If you want to carry 11 field players and 15 pitchers who cares? Its a risk and if the team is willing to go that route then have at it.

I never understood the 13 pitcher limit as a tool to limit pitching changes. I think the 3-batter minimum addressed that just fine, and coupled with the more recent rule changes to speed up the game the roster limit is completely superfluous.

#109 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 May 2023 - 12:33 PM

With last night’s awesome win over the Braves, the O’s would be in 1st place in any division in the majors, other than, of course, the AL East.

BTW, if looking at the standings and seeing Toronto, Boston and New York all down there looking up doesn’t make it move at least a little, see a doctor.

I realize it’s May 6th. I don’t care that it’s May 6th. This is pretty thrilling stuff.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#110 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 12:51 PM

With last night’s awesome win over the Braves, the O’s would be in 1st place in any division in the majors, other than, of course, the AL East.

BTW, if looking at the standings and seeing Toronto, Boston and New York all down there looking up doesn’t make it move at least a little, see a doctor.

I realize it’s May 6th. I don’t care that it’s May 6th. This is pretty thrilling stuff.

My boy
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#111 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 06 May 2023 - 03:56 PM

I never understood the 13 pitcher limit as a tool to limit pitching changes. I think the 3-batter minimum addressed that just fine, and coupled with the more recent rule changes to speed up the game the roster limit is completely superfluous.

Duquette used to abuse this by having 14 pitchers and a taxi squad of about 9 relievers that he'd rotate in and out. But they've attacked this from multiple angles now, first with the 3 batter limit, second by restricting how frequently someone can be called up and sent down. The pitcher restriction seems a little overkill at this point.

#112 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 07:53 AM

MASN: Wondering about possible roster moves, Mountcastle's streak ends, Santander's streak stretches, Baker's streak

https://www.masnspor...r-s-streak-ends

#113 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 09:36 AM

Mateo just had his first really bad week this season.  Very interested in seeing how long the slump lasts and how deep it gets.  Avoiding months-long stretches of 550 OPS hitting is what'll allow him to be a 4-5 WAR player and not just a 2-3 WAR guy.

He's basically already matched the one hot month that he had from last season.  He was punishingly bad at the plate outside of that month.  So any weeks/months the rest of the way that he avoids being a total black hole will be improvements over last season.

• BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#114 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 May 2023 - 11:42 AM

With getting off to the hot start and having a season full of promise, how far down the road do we go with some struggling players? The guys that come to mind are Stowers, Henderson and Cionel Perez.

With Perez in particular, he's looking more like afterthought waiver claim, 6 plus ERA guy from 2021 than the dominant late inning reliever of last year. I'm guessing the return of either Tate or Givens will be the end of the road for Perez. Unless being left handed somehow buys Perez more time, carrying a late inning reliever with a 2 WHIP on a contending team is an untenable situation.

Regarding Stowers and Henderson, I understand that they're young players but again, this isn't 2019 where the standings don't matter. Specifically to Henderson, I know he's has been drawing walks but outside of that, he's been mostly unproductive. His SLG% is way down from last year, his OPS+ is below league average. His swing % is down from last year and his contact rate is down across the board. So Gunnar is swinging at less pitches and when he does swing, he's making contact less, both inside and outside the strike zone. I think Henderson is capable of getting through his but how long of a leash does he have before we give him a trip to Norfolk to sort things out? 

With Stowers, perhaps he's the proverbial 4A guy and we overestimated him. Again, I know development and success isn't linear but an .095 SLG% isn't getting it done. Could it be time to give Cowser a shot?

I'm not pretending to have the answers here but it's winning time. Every at bat matters now, we can't afford to waste any.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#115 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 11:50 AM

Tate in particular doesnt seem ready. Also not sure what to expect from him when he returns considering he had an arm injury. Its possible he just wont have good enough stuff. Akin or Baumann will be the first to go though. They have options.

#116 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 May 2023 - 11:56 AM

I always expected Tate to take longer.  I think he lost part of his off season program, then did not throw in ST.  Givens, I think did get some ST action.

I think Akin is the first, but I still would not rule out a Perez IL move to buy time.  I think I saw him sneeze yesterday.  That should buy the Orioles 10 days plus a rehab assignment.  :-P

@mikeghg

#117 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:03 PM

I'd give Henderson all season unless he actually starts to struggle much more than he has been or unless we just have to find room for 3 of the other guys in the infield because they're all playing great (whatever combo of Mateo, Urias, Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby that would be) and Henderson just gets squeezed out.  A 340 OBP will never really hurt you, even if its mostly all walks. But certainly he can't continue like this, that statline is too bizarre, so it'll either get worse (i.e. the walks go away) or it'll get better (i.e. the hitting and pop returns) and in either case there won't be a complicated decision to be made.

There is a mental aspect to it, so if the coaches feel that he'd be well suited with a break and refresh down in Norfolk, then that's fine.  But there is no performance reason to demote him yet.  

#118 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:04 PM

I'd give Henderson all season unless he actually starts to struggle much more than he has been or unless we just have to find room for 3 of the other guys in the infield because they're all playing great (whatever combo of Mateo, Urias, Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby that would be) and Henderson just gets squeezed out. A 340 OBP will never really hurt you, even if its mostly all walks. But certainly he can't continue like this, that statline is too bizarre, so it'll either get worse (i.e. the walks go away) or it'll get better (i.e. the hitting and pop returns) and in either case there won't be a complicated decision to be made.

There is a mental aspect to it, so if the coaches feel that he'd be well suited with a break and refresh down in Norfolk, then that's fine. But there is no performance reason to demote him yet.

I dont think you can run this Henderson out there all year. He has to show improvment. Especially considering we have other options. Not just at AAA but already here. Right now Ill argue the best infield is Urias, Mateo. And Frazier. You keep Gunnnar in there with the thought he breaks out. Im fine with that in early May. But hes not the best 3 we can play right now.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#119 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:14 PM

I dont think you can run this Henderson out there all year. He has to show improvment. Especially considering we have other options. Not just at AAA but already here. Right now Ill argue the best infield is Urias, Mateo. And Frazier. You keep Gunnnar in there with the thought he breaks out. Im fine with that in early May. But hes not the best 3 we can play right now.

This all walks approach can't continue, so something will change.  Frazier has played better than Gunnar so far this season, but I'll happily bet on Henderson being better than Frazier from today onward.  And I'd make that bet every day for the rest of the year, Henderson would have to really faceplant to change my outlook on that at some point.

#120 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:28 PM

I dont disagree but again he has to improve. When to make the call to play him less or send him down is a question better answered by the people there. As you mentioned there are other factors to consider. Things we arent privy to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=