#141 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 May 2023 - 12:57 PM

Heard it will be Vavra. And Drew Rom for a fresh arm.

Who does Westburg have to bribe?

@mikeghg

#142 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:01 PM

Who does Westburg have to bribe?

Hes not on the 40 man

#143 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:03 PM

Heard it will be Vavra. And Drew Rom for a fresh arm.

Urias to IL?  Who else going down? 

#144 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:04 PM

Id prefer Ortiz though. Im assuming Urias is going on the DL but maybe they are dropping the 3rd catcher?? If its Urias DL Id def prefer the righty bat. If its DFA the catcher then Vavra is ok.

I have no idea who Rom is for. Akin since he pitched two last night and is unavailable today is my guess.

#145 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:07 PM

Urias to IL? Who else going down?

Im hoping ts the 3rd C and not Urias. Otherwise the righty bat of Ortiz akes more sense. And Ortiz is the better defender. I mean a Vavra for Urias swap just makes no sense. Vavra I guess can play the Inf but not like Ortiz and hes left handed. On the other hand Vavra caught a few games in the minors last week so he can be the emergency C here when we use Adley and McCann in the same lineup.

Rom has to be for Akin. Just has to

#146 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:07 PM

Haven't seen transactions posted, but the active roster on MLB includes Rom, Vavra and O'Hearn.  Urias, Akin, and 3rd catcher whose name escapes me right now are not listed.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#147 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:08 PM

Haven't seen transactions posted, but the active roster on MLB includes Rom, Vavra and O'Hearn. Urias, Akin, and 3rd catcher whose name escapes me right now are not listed.

Good catch. Not having Ortiz up as a true uti Inf that quite honestly should be playing as much as Urias was playing is baffling.

O Hearn is available to come back up this soon btw??

#148 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:08 PM

Haven't seen transactions posted, but the active roster on MLB includes Rom, Vavra and O'Hearn.  Urias, Akin, and 3rd catcher whose name escapes me right now are not listed.

Yep

https://twitter.com/...993661128048649

Torrens DFA, Akin optioned, Urias IL.

edit: to answer 2035, my guess is maybe O'Hearn is technically coming up for Urias, so he can come up so soon to replace an injured player.

#149 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:09 PM

O Hearn is available to come back up this soon btw??

10-day thing is waived if its for an injury.  So he's the move for Urias, technically.

#150 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:13 PM

I really hate not using Ortiz vs OHearn or Vavra. Maybe we arent scheduled to face any lefties is my only logical thought for this. But still you have lefties in pens. Now Frazier and Henderson play every day vs lefties. I hate that. And no defensive infield value on the bench either. Youd cover you eyes if Vavra had to play 2b or 3b.

#151 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:14 PM

Hes not on the 40 man

Find a spot.  The Orioles need bats, and he is killing it.    He is approaching 500 AAA at bats, is hitting .288 in AAA over 2 seasons, has hit 26 homeruns with an OPS over .900 and 13 stolen bases.  It is time he got his shot.

@mikeghg

#152 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:16 PM

Find a spot. The Orioles need bats, and he is killing it. He is approaching 500 AAA at bats, is hitting .288 in AAA over 2 seasons, has hit 26 homeruns with an OPS over .900 and 13 stolen bases. It is time he got his shot.

Im just telling you why its not him. That and he wouldnt play every day. Id personally be fine with him getting some Henderson ABs right now. Especially since Urias is down and Gunnar is espefially bad vs lefties. But they value the roster spot

#153 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:16 PM

Not quite as down on Vavra's defense as you, but I'd also rather it be Ortiz, Henderson, and Mateo in the infield regularly while Urias is out.  Frazier on the bench. 

Really curious as to why they called Ortiz up two weeks ago if they aren't going to call him up now when there will be more clear opportunities for at least 10 days.  Inconsistent. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#154 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:19 PM

I wonder if they plan for Rom to stay or if he's just like a few day bridge to Givens. I thought it seemed like Givens was close.

#155 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:21 PM

Not quite as down on Vavra's defense as you, but I'd also rather it be Ortiz, Henderson, and Mateo in the infield regularly while Urias is out. Frazier on the bench.

Really curious as to why they called Ortiz up two weeks ago if they aren't going to call him up now when there will be more clear opportunities for at least 10 days. Inconsistent.

Its def baffling me. Your last paragraph. He did everything you could want him to do. I dont know maybe they arent scheduled to face lefties for awhile and will move OHearn for him soon enough. I do get having Vavra and the versatility he brings being able to essentially play all 8 positions defensively.

#156 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:22 PM

I wonder if they plan for Rom to stay or if he's just like a few day bridge to Givens. I thought it seemed like Givens was close.

My guess is a stopgap long man in case of a short outing in the next couple days.  He's been nearly exclusively a starter in the minors, so if they were thinking of him replacing Akin (or Perez) as a lefty middle reliever, I'd have expected to see a few Norfolk relief appearances and see if he can ramp it up a bit.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#157 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:23 PM

Urias is a bigger loss than most prob realize. As far as position players go I could argue hes only behind Adley, Mateo, and Ced when it comes to importance and who I wouldnt want to have hurt.

#158 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:24 PM

My guess is a stopgap long man in case of a short outing in the next couple days. He's been nearly exclusively a starter in the minors, so if they were thinking of him replacing Akin (or Perez) as a lefty middle reliever, I'd have expected to see a few Norfolk relief appearances and see if he can ramp it up a bit.

Agreed.I think hes a longman for tonight or tomorrow or when another long man is needed and then likely goes for Givens

#159 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:26 PM

Also with a hammy strain and not knowing the severity it could end up being quite awhile for Urias.

#160 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:37 PM

Im just telling you why its not him. That and he wouldnt play every day. Id personally be fine with him getting some Henderson ABs right now. Especially since Urias is down and Gunnar is espefially bad vs lefties. But they value the roster spot

I understand he is not on the 40 man, but right now, with Adley, Gunnar, Stowers, Mateo and others struggling, the Orioles desperately need a bat.  I am a proponent of bringing a guy up when he is hot and that is Westburg.  It is not going to happen because of the 40 man spot, but they are going to have to create one sooner than later.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=