1909 replies to this topic

#161 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 May 2023 - 02:04 PM

They should be able to DFA O'Hearn to make room. Does anyone else really want to pay him $1.4M to play in AAA?

#162 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 May 2023 - 02:11 PM

Totally get being frustrated with giving the guys days off.

I don't get disliking pinch hitting them late in the game -- they're baseball players -- this is what they do.

I disliked pinch hitting Mullins late yesterday because Hyde completely went against his own rationale of saying Mullins needed a day off. Which pissed me off even more because a simple look at the stat sheet would've meant Mullins should've been leading off yesterday. But since Hyde decided to give Mullins an ill timed day off, give him the day off. However, if you're going to end up using Mullins, use him in a spot that matters, not when no one is on and you're down 3 in the bottom of the 9th.

Everything about yesterday's game just rubbed me the wrong way, I guess.

I'm done now. LOL

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#163 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 02:14 PM

I'm only counting 40 on the 40 man page and that includes Means who is on the 60 day IL and shouldn't count. I'm not sure if Seth Johnson counts as he's on the 60 day IL in the minors. But there seems to be a spot or maybe two if they want it.

Not a lot of position player candidates to drop, O'Hearn I guess, maybe Vavra if they really don't like him but he seems to be the emergency catcher and they really think they need a 3rd. Pitcher candidates would seem like Watkins, Zimmerman, Perez if they want to go that route, then I guess Vespi, Gillaspie, Voth, though I can't see those happening at the moment

#164 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 02:50 PM

Understandable why they prefer to keep more pitching. Watkins in particular seems cuttable to me. Zimmermann prob in the same boat. But yeah as far a position players go OHearn is the only real option

#165 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,653 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 03:10 PM

For all the good Elias does, he also makes some baffling decisions. O'hearn has literally been a worse than replacement level player every year over the past 4 seasons. He had a good 44 game stretch as a rookie in 2018. He has no value to the ML roster.

#166 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,586 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 May 2023 - 04:16 PM

With Torrens DFA’d there is an opening on the 40. RHP starters the next two games (not sure about after that) maybe O’Hearn goes back down soon and Westburg is added.

#167 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 04:30 PM

For all the good Elias does, he also makes some baffling decisions. O'hearn has literally been a worse than replacement level player every year over the past 4 seasons. He had a good 44 game stretch as a rookie in 2018. He has no value to the ML roster.

O'Hearn was baffling to me mostly because of the cost.  When you're generally cheap, $1.4M for a AAAA flier is a lot of cheddar.  I've got no inherent issue with seeing something they thought they could do with O'Hearn (or the other guys they did the same with like Franchy Cordero) and seeing if they can catch fire.  The description you gave of O'Hearn would've applied to Steve Pearce before 2012, for example.  Its just weird for them to have taken on any amount of salary to add such a player.

But that kind of applied to all their moves this offseason.  They paid what seemed like high salaries, albeit only for 1 year, to get all the guys they landed.  Now I'll be very clear that I don't care at all about them possibly overpaying, and especially so on a 1-year deal.  But I do think we could've spent $25M+ in annual salary in a better way if we weren't self-limited to 1-year deals.  And I think they could've added way more than $25M, too.

#168 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,268 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 May 2023 - 05:05 PM

Going to cut and paste a comment I just made on Chris's last 7 next 7 as it fits right in here.

Really makes me question what the hell they were doing in bringing in a  3rd catcher for a few days? This FO is just weird sometimes. Most the things they do make sense. Some things they do you have to really ponder it to sort of understand. And thats ok. But these guys do a few things that just ponder it all you want and it still comes around to WTH?

Just 3 biggies of the top of my  head.

1. Biggest off season signing $8M for a 2B when we had several internal options.

2. $1.4M for an AAA guy.

3. DFA a player to bring in a 3rd catcher to what 3 days then DFA him.

Its getting hard to not be even more jaded about this FO than I am. Forget ownership. They have next to nothing to do with some of this wackiness.

#169 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 May 2023 - 05:55 PM

But these guys do a few things that just ponder it all you want and it still comes around to WTH?

Just 3 biggies of the top of my  head.

1. Biggest off season signing $8M for a 2B when we had several internal options.

2. $1.4M for an AAA guy.

3. DFA a player to bring in a 3rd catcher to what 3 days then DFA him.

Its getting hard to not be even more jaded about this FO than I am. Forget ownership. They have next to nothing to do with some of this wackiness.

I can explain it.  I'd guess your bolded isn't correct.

#170 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 May 2023 - 05:58 PM

But since Hyde decided to give Mullins an ill timed day off, give him the day off.

If this were a Civil Trail and you only needed "preponderance of the evidence" you're looking the wrong direction.

Analytical FOs want Managers to follow the Department.

#171 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,268 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 May 2023 - 06:10 PM

I can explain it.  I'd guess your bolded isn't correct.

I doubt Angelos is involved in most of this crap. Perhaps but if he is down in the weeds at that level then why the hell would Elias work for him?

#172 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 May 2023 - 07:10 PM

I doubt Angelos is involved in most of this crap. Perhaps but if he is down in the weeds at that level then why the hell would Elias work for him?

Well that's why I'm wrong about #1 (and #2 indirectly), I figured he'd bail. 

For whatever reasons he didn't and he's clearly playing second fiddle now.

wrt Torrens, I maybe get what they try to do.  I think it's ridiculous, but whatever.  If you claim a guy then waive him, you may get to sneak him onto your AAA (if you like him or want him to help whatever or think there's something there to try).  If you don't claim him (and nobody does), then he goes to Cubs AAA.  They need to move a reliever for Givens/Tate coming up so you move the RP, get the C you want to stash and then you can make whatever the next move is.

#173 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 May 2023 - 07:17 PM

They probably figure Torrens is an upgrade over Bemboom, so it's worth the chance to see if they can stash him in AAA in case they need him.

#174 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 07:21 PM

They probably figure Torrens is an upgrade over Bemboom, so it's worth the chance to see if they can stash him in AAA in case they need him.

Phelan called this exactly when the move was made. They needed another AAA catcher and went about it this way
  • BobPhelan likes this

#175 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,586 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 May 2023 - 08:58 PM

Yeah it let the taxi squad catcher go back to AAA who needed a second catcher. Torrens was basically a taxi squad catcher on the active roster and now they can try to sneak him through waivers.

#176 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 May 2023 - 01:05 AM

so who bet money that the Orioles would be 5.5 games out of first.... with a .639 winning percentage through 36 games?

#177 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 06:50 AM

so who bet money that the Orioles would be 5.5 games out of first.... with a .639 winning percentage through 36 games?

One of only 4 teams with a .600 win %. Texas is barely there as they are .600 on the nose. Have to just play games and hope TB comes back to the pack a bit.

#178 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 May 2023 - 11:44 AM

One of only 4 teams with a .600 win %. Texas is barely there as they are .600 on the nose. Have to just play games and hope TB comes back to the pack a bit.

It's no surprise that we're in a meatgrinder of a division.  But now that it's the Rays with a .800 winning percentage all I can do is sit back and laugh.  At least there are 3 wild cards.

#179 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 11:52 AM

It's no surprise that we're in a meatgrinder of a division. But now that it's the Rays with a .800 winning percentage all I can do is sit back and laugh. At least there are 3 wild cards.

You know, through parts of our 2012-2016 run there were lulls from the other teams in the East. At least it felt that way. There may end up being some lulls in the coming years with these 4 other teams but it doesnt feel like it right now.

#180 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:44 PM

I think the call for someone for Stowers is coming any day. Either Cowser or Westburg. Vavra is staying because he can be the emergency C. OHearn you can deal with being a sporatic play and lefty PH option off the bench. They need more production out of the DH/OF ABs Stowers has been taking the last 2 weeks. The guy is striking out 36% of the time. He doesnt have an XBH and only 2 hits total. Westburg and Cowser are at over 1.000 OPS in AAA. Stowers massive struggles along with the struggles of Gunnar show that Cowser and or Westburg could easily come up and struggle too. It just cant be worse than what Stowers has done. I said early when it was Vavra getting the ABs that these two guys(Vavra and Stowers) would get their shots but they wouldnt be prolonged looks. They would need to perform relativiely quickly when given the opportunity. You just have to move on for now. An injury could open more ABs in the future but Stowers is giving you literally zero. Cant have that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=