1909 replies to this topic

#201 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:30 PM

16-12 with that schedule doesn't sound bad at all, but with the way they've played lately, they definitely feel to be trending downward.

#202 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:34 PM

16-12 with that schedule doesn't sound bad at all, but with the way they've played lately, they definitely feel to be trending downward.

5-5 in the last 10. Find your balls

#203 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:35 PM

FIND YOUR BALLS

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#204 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:36 PM

5-5 in the last 10. Find your balls

Could've easily been a 1-5 homestand. They tried their hardest to blow that 8-1 lead last night.

Rough stretches happen during a 162 game season, but they definitely aren't playing good baseball right now.

#205 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:38 PM

As I said, I expect June to be a grind. So maybe we arent that far apart. But I absolutely believe the players have the balls to do what it takes to get through the grind
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#206 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:49 PM

If they're still 10+ games over .500 by July I'll be satisfied.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#207 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:09 PM

If they're still 10+ games over .500 by July I'll be satisfied.

The O's are 14 games over. They play 24 times in June. To end June +10 they'd be 45-35 meaning they have to go 10-14 in June.  If they are less than that then there are in trouble.

#208 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:28 PM

The O's are 14 games over. They play 24 times in June. To end June +10 they'd be 45-35 meaning they have to go 10-14 in June. If they are less than that then there are in trouble.

Could be a tough month without Ced. Need Santander and Rutschman to stay hot and could use some help from Henderson, Mountcastle, Urias.

#209 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 08:23 AM

I wonder what you have to do to get fired as the manager of travel.

Spenser Clark, who was dismissed as the Orioles manager of travel on Friday, confirmed the firing to The Athletic. He said it was "unexpected" and "I’m proud of what I accomplished there and I look forward to future opportunities with another major-league club."

#210 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 June 2023 - 08:31 AM

Spenser Clark, who was dismissed as the Orioles manager of travel on Friday, confirmed the firing to The Athletic. He said it was "unexpected" and "I’m proud of what I accomplished there and I look forward to future opportunities with another major-league club."

Had to pay for Hicks some way.

• Mike in STL likes this

#211 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 June 2023 - 08:32 AM

As I said, I expect June to be a grind. So maybe we arent that far apart. But I absolutely believe the players have the balls to do what it takes to get through the grind

Agreed. We knew these types of stretches were coming. There are flaws. But there's also a lot of character. Not worried, but I am a bit annoyed. Now watch Cleveland immediately return to scoring 3 runs a week.

#212 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 08:38 AM

Dan Connolly@danconnolly2016·

Especially middle of the season. Have to think he F'd up pretty bad in some way

#213 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:58 AM

Especially middle of the season. Have to think he F'd up pretty bad in some way

Looking back recently, the team getting back into Baltimore via train around 4 am after a night game in NYC might have something to do with it? The game ended at 10:02 pm, and it took almost six hours to get from Manhattan to Penn Station. The Acela takes 2h 20m to travel that distance, and the regional about 2h 50m. Something probably went wrong where the players’ clothes weren’t brought to the station on time? There’s no way they go back to the hotel to pack, right? That had to take place while the game is played or even hours before. 

#214 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:03 AM

^that’s just idle speculation. Perhaps some opportunities were missed that risked the team getting back very late and it revealed a pattern of behavior.

#215 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:03 AM

Did they promote the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary to fill the role?

• DuffMan likes this

#216 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:10 PM

Was brought up in the minor league thread. May be time to start benching Mountcastle much more often vs righties. .560 OPS. Easily the worst on the team. I suspect he keeps getting run out there in June to see what happens but you cant have a 1b OPSing .560 from the strong platoon side all year. You have to find better. Plus, hes a very bad defender according to metrics

#217 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:30 PM

Mountcastle has options.  If he doesn't get turned around quickly it'll be time to send him to Norfolk to work on things there.  I wouldn't bother with any trial period of protecting him from righties. He was barely passable this year and has taken a big step backwards so far.  He's used up most of his leash, IMO.

He's capable of getting lighting hot, but he's gotta do that real quickly here.  All the games count, so this is cherry picking, but if you take away his two best games then he's only left with 7 HR and 24 RBI with a 629 OPS.

#218 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:39 PM

Mountcastle’s problem is compounded by the fact the O’s usually are hitting him 4th. He’s overmatched there. 

#219 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:48 PM

Mountcastle has options. If he doesn't get turned around quickly it'll be time to send him to Norfolk to work on things there. I wouldn't bother with any trial period of protecting him from righties. He was barely passable this year and has taken a big step backwards so far. He's used up most of his leash, IMO.

He's capable of getting lighting hot, but he's gotta do that real quickly here. All the games count, so this is cherry picking, but if you take away his two best games then he's only left with 7 HR and 24 RBI with a 629 OPS.

Next year only the first year of arb or was he a super 2. Either way, I dont think hes a non tender guy yet but he could be by the end of the year. Crazy to say but hes been a very bad baseball player this year

#220 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:49 PM

And the lack of walks is never going away. Like ever. Its his stupid mindset to swing swing swing at all times

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Our Sponsors

width=