Lopez to the Twins

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#61 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:42 AM

Yes, that bloated $500k remaining on Lopez’s contract for the remainder of the season is unsightly. What, does he think he’s an All Star or something?

It has me wondering too, I mean I understood certain moves like booting Alberto, Villar, etc for where we were in rebuild. But it seems every time a guy is about to get a raise, we deal him. 

We shouldn't be in that phase anymore. Sell the damn team. I'm flippin pissed right now. 

#62 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:44 AM

Even if its a firesale, and its not, Elias seemingly could have done better for Lopez. Or at least it feels that way. Something we are missing.

#63 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

The O's also sent "cash considerations" to the Twins. Way to use that payroll flexibility! Lol

#64 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,434 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

It has me wondering too, I mean I understood certain moves like booting Alberto, Villar, etc for where we were in rebuild. But it seems every time a guy is about to get a raise, we deal him. 

We shouldn't be in that phase anymore. Sell the damn team. 

It does have the fingerprints of an ownership driven move. I don’t see how any competent GM does it otherwise.

#65 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:45 AM

Even if its a firesale, and its not, Elias seemingly could have done better for Lopez. Or at least it feels that way. Something we are missing.

It’s right in front of your face. They didn’t plan to be good in 2022. It’s that simple.
  • Mike B likes this

#66 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:46 AM

It does have the fingerprints of an ownership driven move. I don’t see how any competent GM does it otherwise.

I don't get why ownership would request this type of trade at all.

However, let's say they did say trade Lopez for prospects. Elias still has to do better than this. Much better I'd argue.
  • Mackus likes this

#67 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:47 AM

Lopez is not making much money.  I am not sure what ownership gains by either of these deals.  IMO, two bad trades, to add to his collection.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#68 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:48 AM

I don't get why ownership would request this type of trade at all.

However, let's say they did say trade Lopez for prospects. Elias still has to do better than this. Much better I'd argue.

Right. It's like, even if they see hidden value that no one else does, pair that with value that is seen. 

#69 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:49 AM

Lopez is not making much money.  I am not sure what ownership gains by either of these deals.  IMO, two bad trades, to add to his collection.

Trimming the fat. Don't have to pay Mancini rest of this year or extend fan favorite. Don't have to pay Lopez arbitration raise next year. 

#70 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:51 AM

We are playing very small market payroll right now.

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:52 AM

Glad to see everyone seeing the light.

Both trades netted nothing. I guess it took a second one to push you guys over the edge.

I can dislike this trade - which I do - and still believe in the process.
  • JStruds and BSLZachEisner like this

#72 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:53 AM

Who else is looking forward to that Smash Mouth concert and seeing Ubaldo back in Baltimore?
  • DuffMan, bmore_ken and FL O's Fan like this

#73 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

I can dislike this trade - which I do - and still believe in the process.

That is fair,  

Question, do you think his timeline is 2024 at the earliest?  

@mikeghg

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

You think ownership demanded we send cash and our closer to Minnesota?

#75 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:54 AM

If they are trimming fat they can trade guys that cost more than Lopez. This is an Elias move I just am trying to understand the return.

#76 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:56 AM

My opinion as well. Typical O's move though. The names in the front office change, but some things it seems never change.

#77 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:56 AM

If they are trimming fat they can trade guys that cost more than Lopez. This is an Elias move I just am trying to understand the return.

Yeah someone would take Lyles and Santander. Maybe they still will. Lopez isn't going to get a ton next year. Elias wanted to do this, I just don't know why.

#78 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:57 AM

Agree.  Terrible trade.  Not sure if it's Lopez' value or the prospects value that Elias misjudged, or maybe both.  But definitely hard to agree with his evaluations here.

#79 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:57 AM

Well...As soon as you figure it out, could you please let the rest of us know?

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#80 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:58 AM

Who else is looking forward to that Smash Mouth concert and seeing Ubaldo back in Baltimore?

I have tickets to the 5th, thanks to a friend renting a sky box, and then I bought tickets to the 6th.  I was going to leave right after the game on the 6th.  Maybe I should stay for the concert(no chance) and skip the game. :-P

I also have 5 tickets to trade in, and I will probably do that for the Houston series and then I am back on not spending any more.

That will be 9 games and about 40 tickets that I bought this year.  I am a dope, letting these guys screw me again.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=