• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#1 BradJohnson

BradJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:49 AM

And there's really no way to spin this as a purposeful swap. They added a bunch of inventory arms, all of whom project to throw fewer than 50 big league innings in their careers (and likely closer to 0).

Cade Povich, Yennier Cano, Juan Nunez, and Juan Rojas are the return. Povich is on a dev path to become a back-end SP or swingman. Cano is roughly big league ready as a 28-year-old who could be a passable middle reliever. I'll need a minute to dig up more on the other pair as they're both well-off-radar.

Nunez is pitching well in the complex as a 21-year-old which is quite old for the level. He's undersized and I can't find notes on his repertoire. Rojas might be the prize of the deal. He's pitching well in the complex and is an age-appropriate 18 years old. There's almost nothing out there on both these guys.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:50 AM

The Pittsburgh Orioles ladies and gents.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:51 AM

Cade Povich

Yennier Cano

Juan Nunez

Juan Rosas

#4 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:52 AM

I would love to know what Hyde thinks of this...

#5 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:53 AM

This is the white flag move. 

Trey is beloved, but wasn't going to strongly influence how '22 plays out. Lopez has and certainly would have continued to help the team.  

• bmore_ken likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:53 AM

Part of me thinks this comes from upstairs -- your brother is suing you -- get rid of any possible long term expenses.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:54 AM

Ok. What the hell is going on. I was OK with Mancini trade. But if 2023 was a contending season, Lopez has a lot of value. I.e. we should get lots of value back. 

For example, a mid rotation, controllable starter ready to go, possibly next year. I mean the Bundy trade netted Bradish. What's going on right now? 

• Greg Pappas and fishteacher like this

#8 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:54 AM

So we traded for Zac Lowther, a nobody relief pitcher, and two lottery tickets.

#9 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:56 AM

Part of me thinks this comes from upstairs -- your brother is suing you -- get rid of any possible long term expenses.

This is my fear as well. And I haven't been thinking this way. Didn't want to think of Elias as a shill for same old B.S. 

This franchise has not necessarily been cheap. PA would just meddle and spend money at the wrong times in the wrong places. 

But initial impression seems rough on this one. 

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:56 AM

Yennier Cano is a 28 y/o who got shellacked in his first cup of coffee earlier this season.  He's a zero.

MLB.com rates Cade Povich #22 for the Twins.  He's a 22 y/o SP at high-A.  Unremarkable ERA but decent peripherals.

Juan Nunez is 21 y/o in the FCL.  Good peripherals, high ERA.  Not in the Twins top-30 according to MLB.com.

Juan Rojas is an 18 y/o in the FCL.  Good peripherals.

Will try to find bonus info for Nunez and Rojas.

#11 BradJohnson

BradJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:57 AM

That's the fear. And if so, boy is this terrible timing. They need to be investing. 

It might just also be a case of turning a guy who was a non-asset 5 months ago into something before he turns pumpkin.

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:58 AM

Don't worry guys. We're guaranteed to be better next year.

This is pathetic.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:00 AM

That's the fear. And if so, boy is this terrible timing. They need to be investing. 

It might just also be a case of turning a guy who was a non-asset 5 months ago into something before he turns pumpkin.

What about him would say he's a pumpkin though? Mentality maybe? Because the stuff plays since he's been moved to the bullpen. 

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:00 AM

Maybe Yennier Cano has an ungodly spin rate with that 9 ERA and his .968 OPS against.

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:02 AM

Is this really all they got for Lopez? If so, this seems like a horrendous trade.
  • FL O's Fan likes this

#16 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:02 AM

What about him would say he's a pumpkin though? Mentality maybe? Because the stuff plays since he's been moved to the bullpen. 

I know track record isn't there to prove it. But why not keep him around for next year's window that's opening? It does just start to reek of prepping to the sell the team.

Which was not PA's MO. This is meddling in an entirely different way. Make things skinny for a sale. 

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:03 AM

You guys are nuts, this is the way Elias thinks. It has nothing to do with Angelos. Elias is the smartest guy on the planet and a competitive 2022 wasn’t supposed to be a thing.
  • Mike B likes this

#18 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:04 AM

This is pathetic for a guy under team control through the 2024 season.

At some point, you have to switch gears. Just trading current value for future (suspect) value forever doesn't work.

#19 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Unless the trade details are inaccurate, this appears --at first glance-- to be VERY underwhelming.  I hope we're going to see some info on these pitchers that alleviates the concern, but not a good look at this time.

#20 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

I'm just about always in favor of trading relievers, but man this return just feels so light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=