Lopez to the Twins

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#41 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:19 AM

This is just a putrid, putrid trade. I don't care if those lotto tickets are aces in 4 years. 

Subject to be wrong. But there's a lot we can know as fans now. And the value just doesn't seem there at all. And there was no need to trade Jorge right now. 

#42 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:20 AM

As much as I want to support the current management structure this trade is beyond even my comprehension. This is just a bad trade. Period.

#43 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:20 AM

Povich has comparable numbers at A+ at 22 y/o as Kevin Smith did at A+/AA as a 22 y/o.  We got Kevin Smith for Miguel Castro.

Yeah but what is Povich's spin rate? Probably much higher than Smith's. :D

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#44 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:21 AM

We have guys that can help as early as this year already in the minors.

If these moves help us compete in 3-4 years I am fine with that.

Just sucks to be over .500 in August and on the fringe of the WC and trade away two of our better players, including one who was probably our best, and get a handful of lottery picks for them.

I'll agree that we should have Stowers up to replace Mancini.

Not sure who we can call up to replace Lopez/Bautista.... assuming Bautista takes over the closer role.

#45 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:22 AM

I'll agree that we should have Stowers up to replace Mancini.

Not sure who we can call up to replace Lopez/Bautista.... assuming Bautista takes over the closer role.

The Yusniel Diaz of BP pitchers of course.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

This is just a putrid, putrid trade. I don't care if those lotto tickets are aces in 4 years. 

It is reprehensible to me that 4 years in to his "Rebuild Process" we are trading good players for lottery tickets.   We have traded 2 of the better guys on the team for a pitcher who will likely not throw a ball until 24 and a series of guys at the bottom of their teams prospect list. 

I have zero confidence that the Stat Pack will be active in this off season.

@mikeghg

#47 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Glad to see everyone seeing the light. 

Both trades netted nothing. I guess it took a second one to push you guys over the edge.

@BSLMikeRandall

#48 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Not rebuilding. Still tearing down.

• Mike B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#49 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,864 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:28 AM

I'm just adding misery to the miserable at this point, but that trade is proposterous!  Can we add ONE PLAYER through 2 trades we think will actually crack this team before most of us are all dead?!  

2.5 games out of a WC spot and we're selling without getting jack sh*t back!  Horrible...

• Mike B likes this
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#50 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:29 AM

Not rebuilding. Still tearing down.

4 years in.  It is very hard to take.  

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#51 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:30 AM

Glad to see everyone seeing the light. 

Both trades netted nothing. I guess it took a second one to push you guys over the edge.

I mean for me, Mancini trade was OK. Two months left, get what you can get. 

This one is a head scratcher and makes you question everything. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#52 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:32 AM

4 years in.  It is very hard to take.  

And also this org. was in such a terrible place when Elias took over. Then 2020 happens. I'm OK with targeting 2023. 

2012-2016 I think we were deluded that that was a championship roster. And we tried to extend it until 2018. 

But this is almost to the opposite extreme. If you're gonna make trades with players that could be of value to the beginning of your "championship window", you damn well better flip your strength to combat a weakness. 

We should be able to build system depth other ways than this.

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:33 AM

We’re being trolled.

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:33 AM

And also this org. was in such a terrible place when Elias took over. Then 2020 happens. I'm OK with targeting 2023. 

2012-2016 I think we were deluded that that was a championship roster. And we tried to extend it until 2018. 

But this is almost to the opposite extreme. 

What about these 2 trades makes you think 23 is the target?

@mikeghg

#55 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:34 AM

The only possible solace is that the Bundy trade looked similarly useless at the time. All were ranked around 30th on the Angels I think. Maybe they have traits they can do something with. But gambling in the 2019 offseason is far different than 2.5 games out.

#56 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:35 AM

What about these 2 trades makes you think 23 is the target?

I think it just made sense to target 2023. Mancini trade I was OK because he wasn't going to be apart of 2023. 

Second trade, as I've stated, is a real head scratcher and doesn't seem to fit any sensible goals other than trimming the fat for a sale. 

#57 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:40 AM

I think it just made sense to target 2023. Mancini trade I was OK because he wasn't going to be apart of 2023. 

Second trade, as I've stated, is a real head scratcher and doesn't seem to fit any sensible goals other than trimming the fat for a sale. 

Yes, that bloated $500k remaining on Lopez’s contract for the remainder of the season is unsightly. What, does he think he’s an All Star or something?

#58 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

The only possible solace is that the Bundy trade looked similarly useless at the time. All were ranked around 30th on the Angels I think. Maybe they have traits they can do something with. But gambling in the 2019 offseason is far different than 2.5 games out.

I agree with this. Adjust to the current stage we should be in. Plus, Lopez could have value for us in the future. We didn't have to get rid of him. 

Other than more sinister things going on. I am as hardcore of a fan as they come, as most of us are. 

This one has me livid right now and wanting to boycott until they actually sell the team, if that's where this is headed. I could use my time on something else. 

I'm being extreme right now and emotionally reacting. But this one seems hard to spin. 

We don't need 4 filler prospects. We could use a high floor, controllable starter. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#59 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

I think his goal is 24, maybe.   Sorry to those who want to think the guy is a savior but no one, should be allow to phone in 4 or 5 baseball seasons.  

@mikeghg

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:42 AM

Deivy Cruz seems like a decent comp for Rojas.  Cruz started this year at 18 at FCL, but he's been promoted to Delmarva (low-A).  They've got similar H, HR, and K numbers.  Way fewer BB for Rojas than Cruz (6.2 per 9 vs 1.2 per 9).  Maybe Rojas' reat BB-rate moves him ahead of cruz, but Cruz is a level up at the same age so that's an advantage.

Bob ranked Cruz #37 in our system.  So put Rojas in that vicinity I think.

Drew Rom would be the best case comp for Povich.  Rom is 22 and been at AA all year with 11 K, 2.8 BB, 1.2 HR and 9.6 H per 9,  Povich is 22 at A+ with 12 K, 3.0 BB, 1.0 HR, and 8.1 H/9.  Slightly better peripherals but he's at a lower level at the same age.

Scouting is more important than stats, especially in FCL, so maybe the scouts give an advantage to the Minnesota guys over our comps, but also maybe they don't.  Hard for us to judge that right now.

Bob ranked Rom #14 in our system.  So put Povich slightly below that.

#15 and #35 isn't nearly good enough for 2+ years of Lopez while the team is above .500 in August.  Its a Dillon Tate package, IMO.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=