#622 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 November 2022 - 08:08 AM

2 writers didn't even have him on their ROY ballot because????

#623 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 08:10 AM

2 writers didn't even have him on their ROY ballot because????

Think I saw that some declined to vote because of the impact the first two places has on service time. I could be wrong but I thought I saw that recently

#624 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 08:13 AM

Think I saw that some declined to vote because of the impact the first two places has on service time. I could be wrong but I thought I saw that recently

Wow, if true, what a horrible reason to abstain.  Should lose their credentials.

#625 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 November 2022 - 08:28 AM

Heard the rookie of the year announcements on the radio this morning. No mention of second place. Just like there never is. But we lose a year of Adley. Cool.

#626 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 08:32 AM

Wow, if true, what a horrible reason to abstain.  Should lose their credentials.

A first- or second-place finish for Rutschman would give him a full year of service time under the new collective bargaining agreement. That’s a year closer to arbitration and free agency. And it’s why some writers were uncomfortable with the ballot or declined to vote.

From the MASN article Stoner linked a page back

#627 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 08:56 AM

I agree, if they don't like it they should give up their vote. Their job is to vote for ROY without regard to the other stuff, which is collectively bargained and not the concern of the writers. If everyone did that sure it'd be great for the O's, but they could have cost Adley a lot of money for no real reason. But it's not surprising, given that there always seem to be some weird protest HOF votes.

#628 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 November 2022 - 09:54 AM

I expected Adley to finish second.  Trying to be unbiased, I would have voted for Rodriquez too.  I dislike the new rule, costing the Orioles a year of service time.  Too bad, Adley did not finish 3rd.

@mikeghg

#629 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 11:17 AM

I think the idea of the new rule is to give teams incentive not to play the service time game, and just bring up their best prospects at the beginning of the season.  The O's might have had Adley on the OD roster, but his injury messed things up.

#630 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 11:54 AM

Explanation from the guy who voted for Adley.

Ben Nicholson-Smith on Twitter: "Congrats to Julio Rodriguez on winning AL Rookie of the Year. A deserving choice. As the only BBWAA voter who put Adley Rutschman ahead of Rodriguez, I want to offer my thought process to Mariners fans, Orioles fans & any others interested in the process." / Twitter

#631 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 12:58 PM

They can avoid the loss of service time by extending him.
  • DuffMan, Mike in STL and CantonJester like this

#632 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 01:14 PM

Bingo

@BSLMikeRandall

#633 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 01:30 PM

I agree, but it affects the cost of the extension, because the price in $ and years at 1.000 service time is surely different than the price at 0.140 service time or whatever. As much as I hate to say it, if the cost is higher it's probably less likely the O's do it.

• Mackus likes this

#634 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 01:42 PM

Bigger factor than cost is that Rutschman is closer to FA so he's inherently less likely to sign. Its only a years difference, but that's not trivial. There is less risk on his end going year-to-year for 5 years before a big maximum payday than there is doing so for 6, and it's also hitting FA at a younger age which increases his earnings potential.

I think we can still extend him, but the price to do so is a lot higher now with a full year's service.
  • makoman likes this

#635 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 04:09 PM

When's the last time the Orioles gave a big extension to a home grown talent? Markakis and his 6 year, $66 million deal in 09? Roberts got a 4 year, $40 million deal in 09 as well.

O's are never ahead of the curve in extending their own young talent.
  • Mackus likes this

#636 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 04:15 PM

When's the last time the Orioles gave a big extension to a home grown talent? Markakis and his 6 year, $66 million deal in 09? Roberts got a 4 year, $40 million deal in 09 as well.

O's are never ahead of the curve in extending their own young talent.

Jones got one as well. I think he's the last guy.
  • makoman likes this

#637 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 04:15 PM

Jones has to count for this exercise, since he was acquired with under a year service time.

#638 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 04:44 PM

The O's have never done an early extension for anyone, as far as I can remember.  Markakis got his extension after 3 years.  They should have done one for Manny, but that's water under the bridge, I guess.

For a while, though, they were really good at extending their own players once they were close to free agency.  At that point, I don't think homegrown really has anything to do with it.  Besides Jones, Markakis and Roberts, they also extended guys like O'Day, Hardy (twice), and Trumbo.  I guess Davis wasn't really an extension, since he had hit free agency, but they spent big money there.  They gave Wieters a QO, etc.

They basically need to sign Adley to an extension or catch him 140+ games a year.  They should make a big push for Gunnar, too.

• Mackus likes this

#639 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 04:56 PM

O'Day, Trumbo, and Davis had all reached the open market and were resigned. Small distinction from an extension. Hardy's second deal was after the playoffs began so really was absolutely last minute before him also hitting the market
  • Nigel Tufnel likes this

#640 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 04:57 PM

Doesn't make it impossible, but Gunnar is a Boras client. An extension is very unlikely. Don't hurt to ask, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=