#1 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:18 PM

21 year old catcher - Oregon State

Second 1-1 pick in Orioles history, first in 30 years.

Immediately a top 5-10 prospect in baseball.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:19 PM

Curious how quick he signs, where he starts, and how fast he moves.

Selfishly hope he at least makes a brief stop in Aberdeen so I can drive 15 minutes up the road and see him.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

Mike Elias said on 105.7 that he expects the Orioles won't have any issues signing top pick Adley Rutschman, and on his development plan this year, said: "With a bat as special as what we think his is, we have to decide how much we want him to catch going forward." #Orioles

This didn't seem to be saying he's not going to be a catcher as much as saying that he's caught so much already in college that they can take it easy on that front, but I'm sure he'll clarify later

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

Interesting. Wonder if he means as he works his way through our system or in general.

Randall will be happy haha.

• Mike in STL likes this

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

Here’s the thing though.

If you don’t keep him at C, why not just draft Vaughn then?

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

Here’s the thing though.

If you don’t keep him at C, why not just draft Vaughn then?

They just flat out liked his bat better?

I think hes talking about limiting his reps at catcher in the minors since hes pretty much major league ready defensively already.

#7 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

Jon Shepherd is reporting that the O’s and Rutschman basically agreed to terms weeks ago.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

Jon Shepherd is reporting that the O’s and Rutschman basically agreed to terms weeks ago.

Might be true...as i said, you likely know what he is signing for considering they are all about making sure they have money for the other guys tonight.

My guess is they get him for about 8M.

I think slot is 8.5M. Last year’s #1 pick signed for about 500k less than slot I believe.

I’m guessing something similar.

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

Probably helps that Oregon State was eliminated over the weekend.

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:19 PM

Very happy with this pick.

#11 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

@NathanSRuiz:

“Mike Elias said the Orioles had somewhat of a "tiebreakers" discussion between Adley Rutschman and Bobby Witt Jr. when it came to when they would be ready and whether their prime would come when the Orioles would be ready to contend. They settled on Adley.”

https://twitter.com/...4487453697?s=21

Looks like we’re expecting to contend starting in 2022-2023?
  • You Play to Win the Game and FFH like this

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

@NathanSRuiz:

“Mike Elias said the Orioles had somewhat of a "tiebreakers" discussion between Adley Rutschman and Bobby Witt Jr. when it came to when they would be ready and whether their prime would come when the Orioles would be ready to contend. They settled on Adley.”

Interesting, both are very young.  I hope they will both be in their prime, when we are contenders.  I am not getting any younger, so let's hope they hurry the hell up.

@mikeghg

#13 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

Adley is only two years older than Witt. It's not like one is 24 and the other is 18.
  • DJ MC likes this

#14 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

@NathanSRuiz:

Two things that I really like coming out of this. 

1. They are really working together as a team to come to these decisions.  There was an earlier post that said there were 30 people in the room all with inputs.  That is awesome. 

2. Adley really was the best choice when all is said and done.  He is far more advanced right now than Witt, who isn't much younger.  Considering the picks they've made in the subsequent rounds, this really shows how they look at this as a puzzle, and I think they are finding the right pieces.  

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

Adley is only two years older than Witt. It's not like one is 24 and the other is 18.

Yep. While Aberdeen is a pretty likely choice, as it is for lots of college players. Single A is a tempting thought, with as well as that team has been playing, and as lights out as that pitching staff has been. Letting him get going there and finish the season in a playoff hunt is tempting. Then you move him to Frederick next year, Bowie the year after, AAA in 2022 and you are talking ML ready '22-23. That's probably a legit chance to get the ML team competitive.

Just a thought though.

@JeremyMStrain

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:21 PM

Yep. While Aberdeen is a pretty likely choice, as it is for lots of college players. Single A is a tempting thought, with as well as that team has been playing, and as lights out as that pitching staff has been. Letting him get going there and finish the season in a playoff hunt is tempting. Then you move him to Frederick next year, Bowie the year after, AAA in 2022 and you are talking ML ready '22-23. That's probably a legit chance to get the ML team competitive.

Just a thought though.

If he is in the minors that long, he will be a disappointment.

No way he should be spending an entire year in A ball and an entire year in AA and then still need AAA time.

An advanced college bat should never need that much time.

He should go to Delmarva or Frederick this year.

By AS break 2021 at the latest, if he is as good as they say he is.
  • FFH likes this

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

If he is in the minors that long, he will be a disappointment.

No way he should be spending an entire year in A ball and an entire year in AA and then still need AAA time.

An advanced college bat should never need that much time.

He should go to Delmarva or Frederick this year.

By AS break 2021 at the latest, if he is as good as they say he is.

It's not about NEEDING that time, it's about a normal development. If he's destroying any particular level then it advances things...which kind of sucks if he's ready two years before we can realistically be any good, but is what it is.

There's NOTHING wrong with him being at high A next year and AA the year after. And this regime firmly believes in giving players time at ALL levels in the minors, so no more skipping from AA to ML.

Let the production dictate, sure, but setting this expectation in your head of what is a failure if he isn't on some timeline is exactly the kind of thinking we should be avoiding around here. Just let him play in the minors, and when he's ready he's ready.

I mean you are talking about the Buster Posey method with your timeline. He played low A after the draft, went to high A the next year, and then skipped straight to AAA and got a sept call up the next year. SF was also in the playoff hunt down the stretch that year though. Then he played about half a season in AAA the next year before coming up for good.

@JeremyMStrain

#18 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

I’m thinking Aberdeen-Delmarva this year, Frederick-Bowie next year, Bowie-Norfolk-Baltimore 2021.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:33 PM

It's not about NEEDING that time, it's about a normal development. If he's destroying any particular level then it advances things...which kind of sucks if he's ready two years before we can realistically be any good, but is what it is.

There's NOTHING wrong with him being at high A next year and AA the year after. And this regime firmly believes in giving players time at ALL levels in the minors, so no more skipping from AA to ML.

Let the production dictate, sure, but setting this expectation in your head of what is a failure if he isn't on some timeline is exactly the kind of thinking we should be avoiding around here. Just let him play in the minors, and when he's ready he's ready.

I mean you are talking about the Buster Posey method with your timeline. He played low A after the draft, went to high A the next year, and then skipped straight to AAA and got a sept call up the next year. SF was also in the playoff hunt down the stretch that year though. Then he played about half a season in AAA the next year before coming up for good.

If he needs a full year in A ball, he isn’t that good. I stand by that.

I’m advocating even what was done with Wieters.
How many advanced college bats (and above average defender) spend a full year in A ball and a full year in AA...and I mean of guys that are highly successful ML players?

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:33 PM

I would be pretty surprised if they put him in Aberdeen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=