https://www.mlb.com/...-around-catcher

#582 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:21 AM

Rutschman is a stud at every facet of the game.

I'm gonna pivot to general discussion on pitch framing. I still don't really think I like how its applied. At least now I'm seeing tracking stats like "how many strikes on borderline pitches" and comparing that to league average. But 100% of the credit for the ball or strike going to the catcher seems like the major flaw in the analysis. How about the umpire? The pitcher? The hitter? The count? The time of day? The backdrop? I think there are so many more variables here than a lot of other stats that all matter.

And this is a lesser critique, but when I see the pitch framing stat rates converted to something like runs, its because they apply a value to each pitch earned or lost. + something for gettinga strike, - something for getting a ball (perhaps weighted in terms of how often the exact location is called a strike/ball). No influence for count. I get that to an extent, we don't give extra credit in wRC+ for whether a double occurred with a man on base or not, so why give extra credit for an 0-2 pitch that is gained versus a 1-0 pitch. On the other hand, if we're gauging the value of framing and not the amount of skill, then you gotta weigh the count.

All of this is probably moot as soon as Robo Umps take over anyways. Then my windmill tilting against pitch framing can finally die.
  • hallas and makoman like this

#583 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, framing is one of those things I just throw my hands up and admit I have no clue about how much it's worth. It could be anywhere between marginal importance or the most important thing to the pitching staff. Likely moot at some point though, true.

#584 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:23 AM

He's amazing, and a joy to watch.

My prediction is he isn't an Oriole by as early as 2027. 

#585 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:39 AM

He's amazing, and a joy to watch.

My prediction is he isn't an Oriole by as early as 2027. 

We have enough problems in the now, then to worry about that far in advance but if they were smart they would buy up his first couple of years of free agency.  

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#586 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:46 AM

I truly think he will be extended, the sooner the better.
  • Mike B and Old Man like this

#587 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:38 AM

I truly think he will be extended, the sooner the better.

I hope so.  Failure to do so, cost them more money in the long run, or worse yet, they lost the new face of the franchise

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#588 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:39 AM

I hope so.  Failure to do so, cost them more money in the long run, or worse yet, they lost the new face of the franchise

Elias is the face of the franchise.

#589 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 August 2022 - 12:46 PM

Elias is the face of the franchise.

Not to me.  But I am in the minority.  

If he pays us back for the punted baseball seasons then he can put his face wherever he wants.  :-P

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#590 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 August 2022 - 01:07 PM

Not to me.  But I am in the minority.  

If he pays us back for the punted baseball seasons then he can put his face wherever he wants.  :-P

It's World Series or bust for me at this point. That's the only way all this crap was worth it. But anyway, enough is enough, don't need another thread to be come about all that.

Adley Rutschman is the tits. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#591 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 August 2022 - 04:44 PM

He’s the bees knees

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#592 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 04:52 PM

Nathan Ruiz
@NathanSRuiz
Since July 6 — so the past month — the only qualified major leaguer with a higher on-base percentage than Adley Rutschman is Juan Soto.
5:27 PM · Aug 5, 2022·TweetDeck
  • BobPhelan likes this

#593 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:33 AM

Rutschman is a stud at every facet of the game.
I'm gonna pivot to general discussion on pitch framing. I still don't really think I like how its applied. At least now I'm seeing tracking stats like "how many strikes on borderline pitches" and comparing that to league average. But 100% of the credit for the ball or strike going to the catcher seems like the major flaw in the analysis. How about the umpire? The pitcher? The hitter? The count? The time of day? The backdrop? I think there are so many more variables here than a lot of other stats that all matter.
And this is a lesser critique, but when I see the pitch framing stat rates converted to something like runs, its because they apply a value to each pitch earned or lost. + something for gettinga strike, - something for getting a ball (perhaps weighted in terms of how often the exact location is called a strike/ball). No influence for count. I get that to an extent, we don't give extra credit in wRC+ for whether a double occurred with a man on base or not, so why give extra credit for an 0-2 pitch that is gained versus a 1-0 pitch. On the other hand, if we're gauging the value of framing and not the amount of skill, then you gotta weigh the count.
All of this is probably moot as soon as Robo Umps take over anyways. Then my windmill tilting against pitch framing can finally die.

I basically agree with this. I also hate using statistical analysis to determine the run value of baseball's equivalent of leaning into a defender for 3 foul shots.

Even without robo-umps, in theory as umpires receive feedback on their ball/strike calls, the number of missed calls should decrease over time unless catchers find new ways to trick umps.

#594 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:44 AM

I mean, it’s a good problem to have, but one of the issues with having an elite, hitting catcher is you really want to have a 3rd catcher on the roster (or one who can assume that duty so that you retain the use of a DH and lineup flexibility). 

Just how good has Rutschman been this year? 

As of this morning, players with at least 100 balls in play, 80% contact%, 40% hard-hit%, and OPS of .800+:

• Freddie Freeman
• Juan Soto
• Mookie Betts
• Alejandro Kirk
• Will Smith
• Josh Naylor
• DJ LeMahieu
• Adley Rutschman
• Gavin Lux

• BobPhelan likes this

#595 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:35 PM

I mean, it’s a good problem to have, but one of the issues with having an elite, hitting catcher is you really want to have a 3rd catcher on the roster (or one who can assume that duty so that you retain the use of a DH and lineup flexibility). 

Just how good has Rutschman been this year? 

As of this morning, players with at least 100 balls in play, 80% contact%, 40% hard-hit%, and OPS of .800+:

• Freddie Freeman
• Juan Soto
• Mookie Betts
• Alejandro Kirk
• Will Smith
• Josh Naylor
• DJ LeMahieu
• Adley Rutschman
• Gavin Lux

Damn. 3 catchers

#596 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 03:38 PM

2.6 fWAR already. Ced is next at 2.1 Mateo at 2.0

#597 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:37 AM

So after all that, it seems like Adley is very, very likely to finish in the top 2 of ROY voting and get the full year of service anyway.

• DuffMan likes this

#598 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:41 AM

So after all that, it seems like Adley is very, very likely to finish in the top 2 of ROY voting and get the full year of service anyway.

Yup. I think he was going to start the year up here. Kind of a shame. Have to think we would be better positioned to make the playoffs and now we dont get compensation either. Overall though the team health has been good.

#599 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:09 AM

Rodriguez is still the favorite according to Fan Duel but Rutchman is the clear cut #2.

Doubt it happens, but I would love to see the club extend him this offseason.

#600 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:23 PM

He’s already surpassed Julio Rodriguez in fWAR despite playing 32 less games. 

https://twitter.com/...KX7CK43XdPP9fJg

Adley Rutschman is now beating Julio Rodriguez in fWAR (despite playing 32 less games) and OPS. 

He is already the best catcher in baseball. 

This is your AL ROY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=