SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Happy 21st Birthday, Mike Trout!

I could be his Dad, but I sort of have a man crush on him.. :)

Funny to look at this thread now and see the Hamilton over Trout for MVP talk a few months ago.

His WAR is just under 7...and he missed the first month of the season!

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Some analyst I forget who said it, said you should reverse the backloaded contracts in terms of logic which I think is a good idea. Think of Pujols as making $20+ million this year and making $12 million in his final year.

That analyst obviously wasn't an economist.

Time value of money is very important. That's why deals aren't frontloaded even if it makes more sense to pay guys for their production in the years they are likely to be producing. Backloading deals is a team-benefiting option. Players would obviously love to get frontloaded deals, since they are measurably more valuable than the same overall dollar contract paid out in reverse annual sums.

#43 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

His WAR is just under 7...and he missed the first month of the season!

Incredible stuff. Impossible to believe that he's a rookie.
@beginthebegin71

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

Incredible stuff. Impossible to believe that he's a rookie.

The biggest question is this...if he were available next year, would you break your $30 rule? :D

#45 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

The biggest question is this...if he were available next year, would you break your $30 rule? :D

Ha.

Well, you see how the $30 rule has helped me the past two years, so it might be time to adjust a bit.
@beginthebegin71

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Baseball Prospectus: Considering a Trout Extension
http://www.baseballp...#commentMessage

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

I don't subscribe to BP, so I can't read it(so I apologize if this is alreeady mentioned). Sure the Angels can try to do an extension, but they don't have the same pressure as a small market team(see Longoria and the Rays). You could end up seriously overpaying for projected stats whereas the Rays would need to make a move to ensure he doesn't get priced out. Moreno has shown that they will spend, they are in a big market even if they are the #2 team in it. I wouldn't worry too much about it. He has two cheap years coming up and under team control for 3 years after that.
@levineps

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

Yahoo: Big-name rotation failing to deliver
http://sports.yahoo....-no-return.html

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

SI: Angels falling off the playoff path
http://mlb.si.com/20...12_a2&eref=sihp

#50 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

Angels have to be the team that make the least sense to me. They've got a solid lineup, with a handful of absolute studs, arguably the best pitcher in the game (Weaver) and 2 other guys that would be the no doubt aces of most staffs (Wilson and Greinke). Yet they're in danger of missing the WC. I still expect them to get hot and rattle off a great couple week stretch, but who knows. Look out if they do make the playoffs though. Probably would be the team I'd least like to face.

@AdamWolff

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Angels have to be the team that make the least sense to me. They've got a solid lineup, with a handful of absolute studs, arguably the best pitcher in the game (Weaver) and 2 other guys that would be the no doubt aces of most staffs (Wilson and Greinke). Yet their in danger of missing the WC. I still expect them to get hot and rattle off a great couple week stretch, but who knows. Look out if they do make the playoffs though. Probably would be the team I'd least like to face.

I hate to say to sound like a broken record, but I completely agree with Adam here in a one-game the worst case scenario to me is having to fly to LA and face Jered Weaver in a one-game playoff.

I wouldn't say they are the most disappointing, I think that falls to the Red Sox or Phillies. The Angels are definitely underachieving, I wonder if they have second thoughts about Pujols deal right now?
@levineps

#52 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

I hate to say to sound like a broken record, but I completely agree with Adam here in a one-game the worst case scenario to me is having to fly to LA and face Jered Weaver in a one-game playoff.

I wouldn't say they are the most disappointing, I think that falls to the Red Sox or Phillies. The Angels are definitely underachieving, I wonder if they have second thoughts about Pujols deal right now?

Detroit with Verlander or Tampa with Price wouldn't exactly be a picnic either.. That's why we have to win the division!!
@beginthebegin71

#53 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Detroit with Verlander or Tampa with Price wouldn't exactly be a picnic either.. That's why we have to win the division!!

No doubt. If the game is in LA, I think Weaver is the toughest. He's insane at home. 1.23 ERA at home vs 3.11 on the road this year. Obviously 3.11 still crazy good, but almost 2 runs higher than at home.

@AdamWolff

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yeah I agree and I was thinking that myself. I still rather face either of those two teams in their respective parks.
@levineps

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Angels have to be the team that make the least sense to me. They've got a solid lineup, with a handful of absolute studs, arguably the best pitcher in the game (Weaver) and 2 other guys that would be the no doubt aces of most staffs (Wilson and Greinke). Yet they're in danger of missing the WC. I still expect them to get hot and rattle off a great couple week stretch, but who knows. Look out if they do make the playoffs though. Probably would be the team I'd least like to face.

They're the inverse of the O's in terms of teams/situations that don't make much sense.

#56 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Their bullpen is in the bottom third in baseball in ERA and the bottom fifth in fWAR. While they have those starters, Grienke has been terrible since the trade, Santana has been even worse all season, and Haren is having a very down year.

#57 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Another awful outing by Greinke today and a loss yesterday after being up 8-0. They're on the verge of being on the wrong end of a 4 game sweep, at home nonetheless. They continue to dramatically underperform and this has to be a pretty deflating series overall.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

@AdamWolff

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Another awful outing by Greinke today and a loss yesterday after being up 8-0. They're on the verge of being on the wrong end of a 4 game sweep, at home nonetheless. They continue to dramatically underperform and this has to be a pretty deflating series overall.

Might not have been such a bad thing that we couldn't obtain Greinke.
@levineps

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

FanGraphs: The August of the Fallen Angels
http://www.fangraphs...-fallen-angels/

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

FanGraphs: The August of the Fallen Angels
http://www.fangraphs...-fallen-angels/

Saw this AM that the Mariners are only 3.5 back of them now.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=