756 replies to this topic

#61 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

And I thought they were semi-bullet-proof. Shows how much I know...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#62 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

So does Mike Trout still win ROY since he "reinvigorated" this team?
@levineps

#63 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

So does Mike Trout still win ROY since he "reinvigorated" this team?

Why wouldn't he? He's the best rookie in baseball. And the AL MVP.

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Why wouldn't he? He's the best rookie in baseball. And the AL MVP.

He's the best PLAYER in baseball.

#65 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

Big error on my part, I meant MVP. Obviously he's winning ROY, there's no one close to him, should be consensus.
@levineps

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,353 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Baseball Analytics: The Fading Jared Weaver
http://www.baseballa...red-weaver.html

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,353 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Hardball Times: What would a Mike Trout contract extension take?
http://www.hardballt...extension-take/

#68 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Really goofy finish to the Angels/A's game last night..Oakland scored two in the top of the ninth to take a 6-3 lead..Anyway, Angels get two quickly off of Balfour and then have 1st and 3rd with no out..Pujols on first. Ok, now I know it's easy to second guess, and clearly Scoscia figured they'd at least tie the game, so he brings in Bourjos to pinch run for Albert, which is a logical move, but you have to figure on him running there to get two in SP or to avoid the double play...Anyway, Morales strikes out, Bourjos isn't running, and then Kendrick grounds into the game ending DP.

My thought is IF you're going to take a shot and get Pujols out of the game, wouldn't it be an obvious thing to have Borjous running at some point? If not, and then you only tie it, then you have a weak hitter in Albert's spot the rest of the night...At least try to WIN the game there in the ninth. I don't know, I guess it's easy to second guess obviously. It's why I'm sitting here on a computer, and Mike Scoscia has won a World Championship.
@beginthebegin71

#69 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Really goofy finish to the Angels/A's game last night..Oakland scored two in the top of the ninth to take a 6-3 lead..Anyway, Angels get two quickly off of Balfour and then have 1st and 3rd with no out..Pujols on first. Ok, now I know it's easy to second guess, and clearly Scoscia figured they'd at least tie the game, so he brings in Bourjos to pinch run for Albert, which is a logical move, but you have to figure on him running there to get two in SP or to avoid the double play...Anyway, Morales strikes out, Bourjos isn't running, and then Kendrick grounds into the game ending DP.

My thought is IF you're going to take a shot and get Pujols out of the game, wouldn't it be an obvious thing to have Borjous running at some point? If not, and then you only tie it, then you have a weak hitter in Albert's spot the rest of the night...At least try to WIN the game there in the ninth. I don't know, I guess it's easy to second guess obviously. It's why I'm sitting here on a computer, and Mike Scoscia has won a World Championship.

I think maybe Bourjos can score while Pujols might not be able to on a ball hit into the gap or similar situation. Just wanting to give your team the best chance to win and not really thinking about extra innings. If you get to extras and you lose Pujols bat, it's a good problem to have. In retrospect, sure Scoscia should've been more patient given the results.
@levineps

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,353 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

Making their move.

Angels.com: Angels' path to the postseason
http://losangeles.an...ws_ana&c_id=ana

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,353 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

Beyond the Boxscore: The LA Angels: A Colossal Disappointment
http://www.beyondthe...s-angels-season

#72 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

ESPN: Angels bringing Mike Scioscia back

http://espn.go.com/l...ger-next-season
@levineps

#73 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

ESPN: Tony La Russa dislikes long deals

http://espn.go.com/m...rt-pujols-smart

Appearing Wednesday on "ESPN First Take," La Russa said any commitment longer than six years carries plenty of risk, and that if he were a team executive, a term beyond that is something he would not consider.

@levineps

#74 Slappy

Slappy
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Selfishly glad the Angels are out of the playoffs. IMO, they are the most talented team in baseball. That 6-14, pre-Trout start killed them. Not playing him out of the gate might have been the worst executive decision in baseball this year. I thought Jerry DiPoto was the next great GM? :D
The world's most concise Baltimore Orioles Twitter feed - @OneWordBird

#75 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Selfishly glad the Angels are out of the playoffs. IMO, they are the most talented team in baseball. That 6-14, pre-Trout start killed them. Not playing him out of the gate might have been the worst executive decision in baseball this year. I thought Jerry DiPoto was the next great GM? :D

Well.....

#76 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

I thought Jerry DiPoto was the next great GM? :D

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I'm not going to write him off though for one underachieving year. Sort of like when everyone was saying the same thing with the Heat because they failed to win a title in the Big 3 first year together.
@levineps

#77 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

The Angels are going to be, at worst, the sixth-best AL team by record. Ahead of the Tigers, in a far tougher division, too.

#78 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,066 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I'm not going to write him off though for one underachieving year. Sort of like when everyone was saying the same thing with the Heat because they failed to win a title in the Big 3 first year together.

What happens with the Angels over the next few years won't have anything to do with Jerry DiPoto.

It doesn't take a genius GM to give out the biggest contract in MLB history to the best hitter of a generation, it doesn't take a genius GM to sign the best starting pitcher on the market to the biggest deal (and get a hometown discount), and it doesn't take a genius GM to call up the #1 prospect in baseball (and watch him become an instant MVP candidate). All that takes is an owner with a ton of money and willingness to spend it and walking into the best prospect in a very long time. He doesn't get any extra credit for any of that, just like he shouldn't get the blame because the team fell short this year.

His genius, or lack thereof, won't be put to the test until several years into his tenure. And it may never, if Moreno keeps letting him have an essentially limitless payroll. He could just become Cashman West. A guy who probably could do good things with a competitive payroll, but with a limitless payroll, there isn't any reason to not take major risks, so you don't get a good idea of how smart he really is.

#79 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

What happens with the Angels over the next few years won't have anything to do with Jerry DiPoto.

It doesn't take a genius GM to give out the biggest contract in MLB history to the best hitter of a generation, it doesn't take a genius GM to sign the best starting pitcher on the market to the biggest deal (and get a hometown discount), and it doesn't take a genius GM to call up the #1 prospect in baseball (and watch him become an instant MVP candidate). All that takes is an owner with a ton of money and willingness to spend it and walking into the best prospect in a very long time. He doesn't get any extra credit for any of that, just like he shouldn't get the blame because the team fell short this year.

His genius, or lack thereof, won't be put to the test until several years into his tenure. And it may never, if Moreno keeps letting him have an essentially limitless payroll. He could just become Cashman West. A guy who probably could do good things with a competitive payroll, but with a limitless payroll, there isn't any reason to not take major risks, so you don't get a good idea of how smart he really is.

While a lot of what you say is true, Cashman still had to take advantage of what he was given without doing anything too stupid. There's a reason he has lasted so long--he's the third-longest-tenured GM in baseball behind Sabean and Beane despite dealing with the unpredictability of two generations of Steinbrenners.

DiPoto needs to do the same thing. He needs to take advantage of his resources (like the Pujols signing), while avoiding major disasters (the dual-edged sword of trading for Vernon Wells and trading away Mike Napoli that was a big part of Tony Reagins decapitation).

#80 Slappy

Slappy
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Well.....

The point being that if it was DiPoto's decision to hold Trout back for a month, he probably cost his team a playoff spot.
The world's most concise Baltimore Orioles Twitter feed - @OneWordBird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=