#101 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

I mean this with all due respect...

You guys realize you spend 365 days a year on an Orioles message board, hoping each and every year to be in position to win the ultimate prize...a WS trophy.

The O's trade a guy who has maybe a 20% chance to be a productive major leaguer for one of the best relievers of our generation, when late inning bullpen help is a huge need, and there are people complaining? Huh?

Very strange to me.

The O's give up someone insignificant to this season and more likely to be insignificant to than significant going forward in future years, in order to make a run in a wide open race this season.

It's a no brainer move. 

• Mashed Potatoes likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#102 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

If I thought KRod was currently at one of the best of his generation level, I would be doing back flips.

#103 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

I also KRod gives them someone to go to as our second closer...when JJ has gone back to back days, etc...

#104 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

I mean this with all due respect...

You guys realize you spend 365 days a year on an Orioles message board, hoping each and every year to be in position to win the ultimate prize...a WS trophy.

The O's trade a guy who has maybe a 20% chance to be a productive major leaguer for one of the best relievers of our generation, when late inning bullpen help is a huge need, and there are people complaining? Huh?

Very strange to me.

The O's give up someone insignificant to this season and more likely to be insignificant to than significant going forward in future years, in order to make a run in a wide open race this season.

It's a no brainer move. 

Yes because only the best ball players sign minor league deals....

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#105 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Best of our generation? I'll have what he's having.

#106 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

If I thought KRod was currently at one of the best of his generation level, I would be doing back flips.

Well as we all know, bullpen arms are very volatile year to year. He's been dominant in 2013, which is the only year we'll be needing him. His experience has to count for something as well. He's been there, done that, pitched in big games before.

@PeterDiLutis

#107 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Brittany Ghiroli @Britt_Ghiroli 8m

Brewers asked for Delmonico three weeks ago, but were told he was unavailable.

Brittany Ghiroli @Britt_Ghiroli 6m

But the competition for K-Rod and the O's need won out and Duquette parted with the infield prospect. Organization was high on his bat.

#108 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Best of our generation? I'll have what he's having.

So K-Rod isn't one of the top 10 closers of the last 10 years? 

@PeterDiLutis

#109 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

To me...the bottom line is this...even if you think this is too much to pay, you have to love them going for it. You have to respect the process.

#110 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

So K-Rod isn't one of the top 10 closers of the last 10 years?

He is saying he isn't that guy anymore(ie not as good).

#111 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Yes because only the best ball players sign minor league deals....

Not sure what this even means. LOL. I don't care how he pitched last year or that he was injured. I care that he's pitching like an absolute beast in 2013. In less than 3 months, we'll have no use for him anymore. I care what he does in the next 3 months. I don't see any reason to think he's going to instantly start sucking right now.  

@PeterDiLutis

#112 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Well as we all know, bullpen arms are very volatile year to year. He's been dominant in 2013, which is the only year we'll be needing him. His experience has to count for something as well. He's been there, done that, pitched in big games before.

He hasn't been as good as his ERA suggests. If he had a 3 ERA, would you be as excited?

BTW, I don't hate the trade and as I said, it's exciting to see them being aggressive. I'm not against making moves to help now, I think my infatuation of Cliff Lee shows that.

#113 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli 8m

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli 6m
But the competition for K-Rod and the O's need won out and Duquette parted with the infield prospect. Organization was high on his bat.

Ok, so the team did like him...since they specifically mentioned his bat, I assume they see him as a DH/questionable fielder.

#114 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli 8m

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli 6m

Ok, so the team did like him...since they specifically mentioned his bat, I assume they see him as a DH/questionable fielder.

You can't take those comments at face value.

#115 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Obviously. I didn't mean to imply that. I meant that he has tremendous big game experience and that the moment wouldn't be too big for him, as it was for Jim Johnson in the playoffs last season.

Combine that with the fact that he's currently pitching lights out, and it's a tremendous move. 

I think sometimes people forget that prospects aren't ONLY for developing and keeping 1 out of 15 for 7 years because the team sucks. Good teams make trades like this all the time. The Rangers just gave up quite a big haul for 3 months of Garza, and people are now picking them to go to the WS. This is what winning teams do...you trade future assets to win in the present. For the O's, this move significantly helps their present and the effect on their future is yet to be determined. If they hoist the trophy, it won't even matter regardless of how good Delmonico becomes.

@PeterDiLutis

#116 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

He hasn't been as good as his ERA suggests. If he had a 3 ERA, would you be as excited?

BTW, I don't hate the trade and as I said, it's exciting to see them being aggressive. I'm not against making moves to help now, I think my infatuation of Cliff Lee shows that.

How has he not been as good as his ERA suggests? 

@PeterDiLutis

#117 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

He does have a lucky HR/Fb ratio...and an FIP that suggests he is more like a 3ish ERA guy.

But even so, that has value.

#118 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

I don't want to spark that argument in this thread. I'm pretty sure you know what I mean, and I'll leave it at that.

I'm not confident in him having a sub 2 ERA the rest of the way. Are you?

#119 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Yeah, this. He's been a beast for my fantasy team stat wise but when I watch the games he never looks impressive.

#120 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yeah, this. He's been a beast for my fantasy team stat wise but when I watch the games he never looks impressive.

Yeah, his stuff isn't what it once was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=