• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

It's not about Delmonico ending up being a great MLB player. It's about value.

Delmonico has more value to the org. as a player & a trade chip than K-Rod does as a reliever. I'd bet almost anything that you could approximate K-Rod's ROS production with internal options.

Maybe. You could have used Britton or Gausman... or a Steve Johnson when he got back.

You make good points about giving up the value... I understand the hesitations you have here.... but I do like the move. I think it will prove to have a positive impact for the pen as a whole. I think with Hunter showing some struggles lately, they felt even more pressure to make the move.

#62 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

I would have rather gotten Peavy, who we have next year and could offer a qualifying offer and gotten picks.

But the Orioles wouldn't spend the money on Peavy.

Btw, you are fully committed to this year now... Go get a bat.

#63 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Like, don't love, getting KRod. Hate giving up Delmonico for him.<br />

This is where I sit too.

@JeremyMStrain

#64 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Another late inning arm was a need IMO.

Bottom line is this is why you build up a minor league system. Delmonico is probably a 7-10 ranked prospect for a Top 10 minor league system. Nothing wrong with giving that away for arguably the best RP on the trading block.  It looks worse because we don't have any minor league depth.

• Icterus galbula and Atomtastic like this

#65 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

- good numbers this year

- still only 31

- tons of playoff experience

His impending free agency should certainly be a motivator and going back to the "tapped out" conversation the O's would be on the hook for $600-650K at most. Maybe therein lies his value.

@Thyrl

#66 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

I guess one way to look at it is that the team gave up a second tier prospect to solidify the 4th righthanded arm in their bullpen.

Maybe, at best, that is worth about 1 win...maybe more if someone gets hurt.

It is a steep price.

#67 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

I firmly believe that relievers are relatively fungible unless you have a guy like Kimbrel or Chapman.

If you think a reliever is the difference then any of Britton, Gausman, S. Johnson could be options. Heck, they might be better off putting Hammel out there

@JeffLongBP

#68 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

I thought traded players no longer qualify for picks?

Correct.  Picks have not been transferrable since 2012.

• Icterus galbula likes this

#69 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Miguel Cabrera has his share of problems as well. Bottomline, is as bad as this sounds, this stuff gets overlooked if you perform on the field to an extent.

That's what I said lol.

#70 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

I guess one way to look at it is that the team gave up a second tier prospect to solidify the 4th righthanded arm in their bullpen.

Maybe, at best, that is worth about 1 win...maybe more if someone gets hurt.

It is a steep price.

It depends what that one win is worth.

#71 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'd venture to say the difference in Rodriguez over Asenscio for 20-30 innings is just as much as any difference you would get from Garza or Peavy over Hammel / Britton / Gausman in their innings...  and you get that equal difference without also have to use Schoop and E. Rodriguez to make the acquisition.

I think Gausman can be really good, but KRod more valuable than KRod or Garza for the rest of the season? Come on. That's crazy.

Opportunity cost you've got an argument, but no possible chance is KRod more important than a very solid starting pitcher.

#72 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Like others have said, I don't love this move but I see that they want to win now.

If they go out and get a RH bat or another SP after this move, then it makes the "win now" move even more believable.

#73 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

I understand why someone would be upset at trading Delmonico, but this legitimately could be a move that makes the difference between playoffs or not. It also takes away an option for another team. I read the 3 finalists were all in the AL. Since that is the case, and the playoffs are a crapshoot once you're in, I'm on board overall with this.

#74 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Eh, I like that they're being aggressive and KRod is good reliever (not as good as his numbers this year), but I think Gausman or Steve Johnson were good candidates to be approximately as good, and Delmonico is a high price to pay with that assumption in mind imo.
  • JeffLong likes this

#75 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Would Cishek have cost a lot more? I have to imagine the Marlins would move him.

#76 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

I doubt it really is one win's worth though.  High leverage innings will primarily go to O'Day and Johnson.  Rodriguez will likely see less important situations.

#77 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

I understand why someone would be upset at trading Delmonico, but this legitimately could be a move that makes the difference between playoffs or not. It also takes away an option for another team. I read the 3 finalists were all in the AL. Since that is the case, and the playoffs are a crapshoot once you're in, I'm on board overall with this.

Or he could get shelled pitching here. RP of his tier are extremely volatile and not worth legit prospects. I wouldn't have given up a top 10 guy for him.

Big risk, but I was a huge Delmonico fan...so maybe I'm just too biased.

@JeremyMStrain

#78 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

I think Gausman can be really good, but KRod more valuable than KRod or Garza for the rest of the season? Come on. That's crazy.

Opportunity cost you've got an argument, but no possible chance is KRod more important than a very solid starting pitcher.

That's not exactly what I was saying.

I'm saying I think the difference of KRod in 20-30 innings over Ascensio (I know I'm killing the spelling), I think is going to be close in difference to Garza or Peavy over Hammel (or Britton, or Gausman)... and KRod just costs Delmonico, while Garza would have likely cost Delmonico, +

If there was a difference tilted to Garza or Peavy over Hammel vs.  KRod over Ascensio... it's not worth that additional prospect haul.

#79 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

I doubt it really is one win's worth though.  High leverage innings will primarily go to O'Day and Johnson.  Rodriguez will likely see less important situations.

That is assuming JJ keeps his act together and O'Day stays nails. Neither are sure things.

#80 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

IG...I accidentally deleted your post but since we would have Peavy next year, he can be offered a qualifying offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=