414 replies to this topic

#41 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

I can't disagree any more here. When your team is a piece or two from being a serious postseason player picking up an extra relief pitcher can be the difference needed to take the next step. How many saves have been blown by the pen this year? Too many, that's for sure.

How much of an impact can he really make? How many innings will he pitch? What guarantee do we have that he'll even perform decently well in the ALE?

His FIP is 2 full runs higher than his ERA. AND he's moving to the more difficult league, and the toughest division in said league.

@JeffLongBP

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Like, don't love, getting KRod. Hate giving up Delmonico for him.<br />

#43 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yep...End of the day, this is how you need to look at this IMO.

We aren't a crap team anymore...we have a chance at a World Series title...if you have to give up some questionable prospects to get what you want, you do it...oh and you get him 8 days early too. May not be a lot but could help.

If you want a WS title, than you package Delmonico with Schoop, Avery, etc. and go after a guy like Garza or Peavy. K-Rod is not the difference between this being a WS team, and it not IMO.

@JeffLongBP

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yea but Jeff, if he is a 3ish ERA pitcher going forward, that is still valuable for us...he also has closing experience, which could be needed for all we know.

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

I'm not going to argue what kind of arrest is worse like you obviously want to. I'm just pointing out that being arrested and charged with things doesn't matter to most people involving sports. The Rays have a pitcher who raped a girl, the Ravens had Stallworth and Lewis, etc. If he pitches well nobody will care about his past. If he sucks they will.

Miguel Cabrera has his share of problems as well. Bottomline, is as bad as this sounds, this stuff gets overlooked if you perform on the field to an extent.

@levineps

#46 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

If you want a WS title, than you package Delmonico with Schoop, Avery, etc. and go after a guy like Garza or Peavy. K-Rod is not the difference between this being a WS team, and it not IMO.

You just saw what Garza was fetched for, you are talking Rodriguez, Schoop, Delmonico +1 for that. It would be strip mining.

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Bullpen will be more important in the playoffs. I don't think it matters as much in the regular season, although he'll be working high leverage situations.

@levineps

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm not going to disagree here. But they are cheap, so no Peavy...and they weren't going to beat the Rangers offer for Garza.

#49 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

How much of an impact can he really make? How many innings will he pitch? What guarantee do we have that he'll even perform decently well in the ALE?

His FIP is 2 full runs higher than his ERA. AND he's moving to the more difficult league, and the toughest division in said league.

It's a risk that is very much worth taking. There are no guarantees here, but he has tons of postseason experience and is an upgrade in the bullpen anyway you slice it. If he performs well in just a handful of big moments it is well worth it.

There are also no guarantees that a prospect in A ball will ever become a player either. 

• Greg Pappas likes this
@gabefergy

#50 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

You just saw what Garza was fetched for, you are talking Rodriguez, Schoop, Delmonico +1 for that. It would be strip mining.

Again, if the goal is to win a WS then I'd rather make a serious (and impactful) move than move a decent prospect for a reliever who's due for regression & won't pitch more than 20 innings for us.

@JeffLongBP

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Like, don't love, getting KRod. Hate giving up Delmonico for him.<br />

I agree...but if its ND or you don't get KRod, what are you doing?

#52 JHTerp01

JHTerp01
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

You kept him away from Boston and Detroit as well, so those are positives. He was super cheap this year, is DD thinking ahead with this move as well since we aren't paying JJ ten million next year?

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'm not a fan of giving up Delmonico for a RP rental, but I am ok with the Orioles making moves to win.

At the end of the day, that's really the only thing that matters. Time will tell whether it was the right move.

Great post here from Tucker -- if they advance far in the playoffs with him, it's worth it. If Delmonico ends up sticking as an everyday player and we don't make the playoffs, it looks a lot worse.

@levineps

#54 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

It's a risk that is very much worth taking. There are no guarantees here, but he has tons of postseason experience and is an upgrade in the bullpen anyway you slice it. If he performs well in just a handful of big moments it is well worth it.

There are also no guarantees that a prospect in A ball will ever become a player either. 

It's not about Delmonico ending up being a great MLB player. It's about value.

Delmonico has more value to the org. as a player & a trade chip than K-Rod does as a reliever. I'd bet almost anything that you could approximate K-Rod's ROS production with internal options.

@JeffLongBP

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Why pay that the price it would have taken for Garza or Peavy..... ? You have 4 clear starters in Gonzalez, Chen, Tillman, and Feldman... if you have to replace Hammel you have Gausman and Britton as internal options.

You paid a price to get Rodriguez... but as of today, he is basically replacing Ascenscio. His presence takes pressure off of Johnson, O'Day, and Hunter. I think that is huge.

I'd venture to say the difference in Rodriguez over Asenscio for 20-30 innings is just as much as any difference you would get from Garza or Peavy over Hammel / Britton / Gausman in their innings...  and you get that equal difference without also have to use Schoop and E. Rodriguez to make the acquisition.

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Again, if the goal is to win a WS then I'd rather make a serious (and impactful) move than move a decent prospect for a reliever who's due for regression & won't pitch more than 20 innings for us.

So you'd rather make a more risky move? And give up more players for a rental?

@levineps

#57 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Not crazy excited about giving up Delmonico, but I'm happy that the FO is making moves to try and improve the team immediately. Shows all of us that they are trying to win and go for it all.

Looking forward to seeing him come out of the pen. 

#58 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Delmonico has more value to the org. as a player & a trade chip than K-Rod does as a reliever. I'd bet almost anything that you could approximate K-Rod's ROS production with internal options.

I'm pretty sure we have been down that avenue, and the results haven't been that great. 

@gabefergy

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Like, don't love, getting KRod. Hate giving up Delmonico for him.

I agree...but if its ND or you don't get KRod, what are you doing?

Depends if I think I can land a lesser, though still solid, reliever in a different deal.

I'd prefer someone a step below Delmonico (our top prospect aside from Bundy IMO) for someone a step below KRod. I won't call this a stupid move by Duke, I just don't really like it. I'm probably higher on Delmonico than most.

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Who are these internal options you speak, just wondering?

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=