BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

.564 OPS against... 

Interesting splits...

LHB 5 for 49, .102 baa, .369 OPS against

RHB 12 for 37, .324 baa, .823 OPS against...

#22 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

When Ray Lewis beats up old men and women, let me know.

I'm not going to argue what kind of arrest is worse like you obviously want to. I'm just pointing out that being arrested and charged with things doesn't matter to most people involving sports. The Rays have a pitcher who raped a girl, the Ravens had Stallworth and Lewis, etc. If he pitches well nobody will care about his past. If he sucks they will.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Eh, I have a line.  At some point, baseball becomes simply a game.

I can respect that. I do have to say that abuse on a woman is as low as it gets.  I understand that troubling anyone.

#24 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Rodriguez is a capable arm and definitely improves the pen. He was also strongly linked to Boston so the O's picking him up hurts a division rival which is an added bonus.

@gabefergy

#25 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm not going to argue what kind of arrest is worse like you obviously want to. I'm just pointing out that being arrested and charged with things doesn't matter to most people involving sports. The Rays have a pitcher who raped a girl, the Ravens had Stallworth and Lewis, etc. If he pitches well nobody will care about his past. If he sucks they will.

I recognize that.  My point is that it matters to me.

I also think the team sold themselves pretty short to give up a B level prospect for a second tier reliever who has issues.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Wow...I'm surprised by this... First of all, I thought they would get more for KRod.

Secondly, I'm surprised we would give up Delmonico here...However, maybe the Orioles think he has no position and his bat won't be that great as he advances and they are dealing him now before his value drops.

A lot of mixed opinions on him...I have to look into KRods numbers for this season but this is a we are going for it move...and I can respect that.

The question is, will we look back and regret it?

• Russ likes this

#27 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

"@Buster_ESPN: K-Rod was the best available late-inning option on the market, and the Orioles get him. Depth is really scarce right now."

#28 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

My thoughts on Delmonico:

http://baltimorespor...-prospect-list/

7. Nick Delmonico – 1B/3B

Ceiling: Above Average Third Basemen, Marginal First Basemen
Likely: Bench Bat, Marginal First Basemen
Floor: Minor League Depth, Bench Bat
Previous Ranking: 4
Report: Advanced plate approach and discipline for his age and level. Has a good, level swing through the zone, and has worked to minimize the loop in the swing since being drafted. Not highly athletic, which begs the question of whether he can stick at third base. Might be better suited as a first basemen or corner outfielder, which brings the question whether he will hit enough. Seems to have that “injury prone” label. Tough to say that about a player in his second year of professional ball, but he has been injured a lot, which effects his ability to grow and learn. Overall, good player with some raw power and good approach, but might not be an impact player.
Ryan Minor on Delmonico

wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in LF either.

• Mike in STL likes this

#29 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

I just hate every part of this trade. You should be trading relievers for prospects like Delmonico, not acquiring them.

@JeffLongBP

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Wow...I'm surprised by this... First of all, I thought they would get more for KRod.

Secondly, I'm surprised we would give up Delmonico here...However, maybe the Orioles think he has no position and his bat won't be that great as he advances and they are dealing him now before his value drops.

A lot of mixed opinions on him...I have to look into KRods numbers for this season but this is a we are going for it move...and I can respect that.

The question is, will we look back and regret it?

I don't care if we regret this later. What you said about going for it, is what matters to me.... this team is built to win now, but needed help. They needed this move. If we regret it later, so be it.... but I'm excited to see them recognize they needed help, and work to address it.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Looking at his numbers, I expect to see more homers hit off of KRod but overall, he should be a very solid arm out of the pen for us.

#32 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

"@masnSteve: "I didn't know I was traded straight up for him," Delmonico said. "When you see that on paper, it's pretty cool.""

#33 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

"@Buster_ESPN: K-Rod was the best available late-inning option on the market, and the Orioles get him. Depth is really scarce right now."

I didn't really think about that. This hurts the Tigers and other teams looking for relievers. I'm still not a fan of the move though

#34 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I just hate every part of this trade. You should be trading relievers for prospects like Delmonico, not acquiring them.

I can't disagree any more here. When your team is a piece or two from being a serious postseason player picking up an extra relief pitcher can be the difference needed to take the next step. How many saves have been blown by the pen this year? Too many, that's for sure.

@gabefergy

#35 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Duquette on getting K-Rod: "He gives us a little more depth to our bullpen. ... He has got experience and he’s a competitor." #Orioles

Yippee.

@JeffLongBP

#36 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Looking at his numbers, I expect to see more homers hit off of KRod but overall, he should be a very solid arm out of the pen for us.

Yea, the WHIP and ERA are bound to get worse, but he is still getting more than a K per inning. His BB rate seems mostly sustainable too.

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

That's what we were doing when we weren't contenders, now it's the other way around. Not saying it's right or wrong, just what happens.

@levineps

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

First reaction was WTF.....Is KROD really that expensive.

2nd and 3rd reactions were positive. One, it proves that the O's are very serious about this year and two, the O's have to have soured on Delmonico a  bit.  Wasn't there rumors of attitude problems.

#39 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

I'm not a fan of giving up Delmonico for a RP rental, but I am ok with the Orioles making moves to win.

At the end of the day, that's really the only thing that matters. Time will tell whether it was the right move.

• Oriole85 likes this

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

I don't care if we regret this later. What you said about going for it, is what matters to me.... this team is built to win now, but needed help. They needed this move. If we regret it later, so be it.... but I'm excited to see them recognize they needed help, and work to address it.

Yep...End of the day, this is how you need to look at this IMO.

We aren't a crap team anymore...we have a chance at a World Series title...if you have to give up some questionable prospects to get what you want, you do it...oh and you get him 8 days early too. May not be a lot but could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=