2648 replies to this topic

#121 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 03:56 PM

Yah our first WR article of the offseason. You want a longer thread than the Hot Stove thread make a Ravens offseason WR thread.

#122 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 04:20 PM

I’m interested in exactly zero of the FAs. Haven’t watched enough of the college crop to make a decision there yet.
  • cprenegade likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#123 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 04:38 PM

The only wide receiver free agents they're going to be interested in are retreads that other teams no longer want and will come cheap. Sound familiar?  That will be as good as it gets, folks.  Just stick to the draft and hope for the best. 

#124 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 January 2023 - 07:18 PM

can we just say "all of them" and leave it at that?  :mrgreen:

#125 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 07:22 PM

Before the season there was talk of Slayton being the odd man out in NY and I thought we could trade for him. Then they had a few injuries and he stayed and played the whole season. At least he would have been healthy.

#126 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 07:44 PM

Someone on reddit posted a comparison of Sean Payton and John Harbaugh and I couldn't believe how similar they are.  Harbaugh has 147 wins, Payton has 152, both were HC 15 seasons, Harbaugh has 1 more playoff appearance and a couple more wins (11-9 vs 9-8)

I feel like the general sentiment from most people (and especially Ravens fans) is that Payton is head and shoulders better, so I was shocked to see that their records are so similar.  Especially when you consider that Payton had a much better quarterback situation for his entire tenure.

#127 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2023 - 07:56 PM

Someone on reddit posted a comparison of Sean Payton and John Harbaugh and I couldn't believe how similar they are.  Harbaugh has 147 wins, Payton has 152, both were HC 15 seasons, Harbaugh has 1 more playoff appearance and a couple more wins (11-9 vs 9-8)

I feel like the general sentiment from most people (and especially Ravens fans) is that Payton is head and shoulders better, so I was shocked to see that their records are so similar.  Especially when you consider that Payton had a much better quarterback situation for his entire tenure.

This is why. Justified or not, I think he tends to receive a lot of credit for resurrecting Brees' career.

#128 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:21 PM

Vinny floated to Haney today sending our 1st rounder to The Colts for Michael Pittman Jr, thinking the Colts may be in for a rebuild. Would do that in a heartbeat!

#129 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:25 PM

Vinny floated to Haney today sending our 1st rounder to The Colts for Michael Pittman Jr, thinking the Colts may be in for a rebuild. Would do that in a heartbeat!

It would be tempting but I still think they need a potential, shutdown cornerback and that's where they'll go with their pick.  

#130 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:31 PM

It would be tempting but I still think they need a potential, shutdown cornerback and that's where they'll go with their pick.  

I hear you but I think a top, young wide out is desperately needed and far outweighs a CB.

#131 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:40 PM

Cerrato still proving how dumb he is. Pittman has 1 yr left on his contract. He's a solid WR. He isnt worth the 23rd pick in this draft. If you are trading a 1st round pick for a WR and paying him an extension its for a guy of higher quality than Pittman.

#132 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:41 PM

I’m interested in exactly zero of the FAs. Haven’t watched enough of the college crop to make a decision there yet.

In total agreement.  The FA class at WR is weak this year.  They either need to trade or draft to get better.

• Mike in STL likes this

#133 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:08 PM

Cerrato still proving how dumb he is. Pittman has 1 yr left on his contract. He's a solid WR. He isnt worth the 23rd pick in this draft. If you are trading a 1st round pick for a WR and paying him an extension it’s for a guy of higher quality than Pittman.

Yeah, disagree entirely, Pittman is a proven, young commodity, at a position the Ravens suck at drafting. I think he would be an ideal candidate. He has had 187 catches, over 2,000’yds with 10 TDs and averaging 11 yards per catch over the last 2 years with compete crap QB’s. He is just starting to scratch the surface of his prime!

PS, Is it really necessary to insult someone every time you make a point?

#134 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:25 PM

This is why. Justified or not, I think he tends to receive a lot of credit for resurrecting Brees' career.

I always found this take weird. Brees played pretty well for the Bolts, its not his fault their front office just wanted a qb with prototypical size.

#135 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, disagree entirely, Pittman is a proven, young commodity, at a position the Ravens suck at drafting. I think he would be an ideal candidate. He has had 187 catches, over 2,000’yds with 10 TDs and averaging 11 yards per catch over the last 2 years with compete crap QB’s. He is just starting to scratch the surface of his prime!

PS, Is it really necessary to insult someone every time you make a point?

History says yes.
  • Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#136 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:44 PM

Cerrato still proving how dumb he is. Pittman has 1 yr left on his contract. He's a solid WR. He isnt worth the 23rd pick in this draft. If you are trading a 1st round pick for a WR and paying him an extension its for a guy of higher quality than Pittman.

It’s pretty much the deal the Cardinals made to get Hollywood. Pittman was almost a Hollywood clone in some PFF stats this past year. So a team could make that trade. I wouldn’t want it to be the Ravens though. Pittman doesn’t get me anymore excited than any of the FAs.
@BSLMikeRandall

#137 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 10:18 AM

Did the post include how often Payton went for it on 4th down in FG range?

#138 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 11:51 AM

In terms of draft prospects, Quentin Johnston is more in the mold of what the Ravens have been missing at the position for a while as a big, physical, contested catch deep threat. JSN has the injury concerns, but he was crazy productive amongst a group of future NFL WRs before that, and Ohio State has been cranking out great WRs for a while now. Brian Hartline has been coaching them up at OSU so these guys are coming in to the NFL much closer to a finished product.

As far as the FA WRs go, I think Jakobi Meyers is underrated as a UDFA who's been playing in a underwhelming NE passing offense. He'd be interesting but it depends on the price.

DHop would be great, but again, depends on the price. His age might make the trade cost pretty reasonable, but there's still the very large cap hit to take on. So they'd need to workout an extension right away. Coincidentally, it seems he's another player who negotiates himself with no agent. Also looks like there's a no trade clause? So I imagine he'd have to agree to be traded to Baltimore if that's true.

#139 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 01:02 PM

It’s pretty much the deal the Cardinals made to get Hollywood. Pittman was almost a Hollywood clone in some PFF stats this past year. So a team could make that trade. I wouldn’t want it to be the Ravens though. Pittman doesn’t get me anymore excited than any of the FAs.

The last thing I’ll say about him is that he is 6-4 230 so is a perfect complement to the run game. And if you look at his numbers they are similar to AJ Brown’s while with the Titans and before he got with Hurts. If I could have him without a 1st then I make it all day but would give ip the 1st. Pittman, Bateman, Andrews, Likely and JK/Gus is a lot of quality weapons!
  • Mike in STL likes this

#140 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:03 PM

I'd LOVE to see what Payton would do coupled with this front office, the defensive talent they routinely acquire, and if he could tweak the offense enough to win a game or three more each year...
  • bmore_ken likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Our Sponsors

width=