2648 replies to this topic

#81 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:04 PM

My buddy told me that Harbaugh said if they were playing this week that Lamar would be able to play.

I think he’s literally trolling us at this point. Says nothing about injuries ever. The first week we don’t have a game, he can play now!

Follow up question, was any of this contract related?

Sounds like Harbaugh was just trying to make nice.

#82 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 09:20 PM

Like I said, I could be reading it wrong or seeing what I wanted to see but the way EDC answered the question certainly gave me the impression that he had every intention of retaining Lamar Jackson. But again, what do I know?

He would have to sound that way even if they had already agreed internally to trade LJ to the highest bidder.  They would want everyone to think that the Ravens have no intention of letting him go to make them come with a bottom offer that is pretty good and be prepared to sweeten the pot.  If it looks like they are hesitant in re-signing other teams will try to low ball them.  

• Mackus likes this

#83 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 06:36 AM

Technically he's still under contract until the beginning of the league year. 3/15 is that date. Tagging begins on 2/21-3/7. I'm not sure if during that time if they tag Jackson on 2/21 that the team can gage interest and he can see what kind of money he would be offered. Then the team announces the trade 1st day of league year.

I don't think that's how it is done. It would help the team know if they need to sign another QB before FA starts. There is no perfect way for this.

It would let Jackson know what kind of money is available to him.  

#84 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:12 AM

Technically he's still under contract until the beginning of the league year. 3/15 is that date. Tagging begins on 2/21-3/7. I'm not sure if during that time if they tag Jackson on 2/21 that the team can gage interest and he can see what kind of money he would be offered. Then the team announces the trade 1st day of league year.

I don't think that's how it is done. It would help the team know if they need to sign another QB before FA starts. There is no perfect way for this.

It would let Jackson know what kind of money is available to him.  

That's where Lamar not having an agent is going to make trading him more difficult on the Ravens as well.

If they were going to tag and trade, the agent could be communicating with teams to guage if they could get a deal done to even make the trade feasible.

I'm sure the Ravens are factoring that into their decision.

#85 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:20 AM

That's where Lamar not having an agent is going to make trading him more difficult on the Ravens as well.

If they were going to tag and trade, the agent could be communicating with teams to guage if they could get a deal done to even make the trade feasible.

I'm sure the Ravens are factoring that into their decision.

Lamar and/or his agent if he had one would need the Ravens permission to negotiate with any other teams (assuming he's hit with the exclusive tag).  Maybe he's allowed to negotiate after the Ravens apply the tag but before he signs the sheet, but I am not sure about that. 

If they're gonna look to trade him, they'll probably grant that permission, but not definitely.  Watson's trade appeared to be contingent on a deal, but WIlson's wasn't, for example.  Ravens could allow Lamar to seek out his own deal with one of the teams that are interested or they could tell those teams they need to trade for him without knowing.  Plusses and minuses to each approach, in terms of leverage for getting the best trade return.

#86 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:25 AM

Lamar and/or his agent if he had one would need the Ravens permission to negotiate with any other teams (assuming he's hit with the exclusive tag).  Maybe he's allowed to negotiate after the Ravens apply the tag but before he signs the sheet, but I am not sure about that. 

If they're gonna look to trade him, they'll probably grant that permission, but not definitely.  Watson's trade appeared to be contingent on a deal, but WIlson's wasn't, for example.  Ravens could allow Lamar to seek out his own deal with one of the teams that are interested or they could tell those teams they need to trade for him without knowing.  Plusses and minuses to each approach, in terms of leverage for getting the best trade return.

If they were trading him, I think they would absolutely give the agent permission to negotiate with teams. I think it makes their job of trading him easier.

#87 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:27 AM

If they were trading him, I think they would absolutely give the agent permission to negotiate with teams. I think it makes their job of trading him easier.

Unless he has reached an agreement for his biggest contract with one team and then that team doesn't make the strongest trade offer.  Then you've a potential problem.  Maybe that offer is still bigger than what the best offer would be by a team that isn't certain they can sign him, if it is, then not a problem.

#88 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:03 PM

Unless he has reached an agreement for his biggest contract with one team and then that team doesn't make the strongest trade offer. Then you've a potential problem. Maybe that offer is still bigger than what the best offer would be by a team that isn't certain they can sign him, if it is, then not a problem.

Honestly, the Jets probably will do both. They're all in on pursuing Jackson, and they aren't being shy about it. Pretty much have said they'll make a very aggressive offer for him if he's available. And if they're willing to part with a ton of capital to get him, I'd imagined they'd also pay him whatever he wanted to get it done as well.
  • cprenegade likes this

#89 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:05 PM

Honestly, the Jets probably will do both. They're all in on pursuing Jackson, and they aren't being shy about it. Pretty much have said they'll make a very aggressive offer for him if he's available. And if they're willing to part with a ton of capital to get him, I'd imagined they'd also pay him whatever he wanted to get it done as well.

After Harbaugh and EDC spoke the other day I think it's more likely than not that he is re-signed, even if it's for an amount that I think is a mistake. With that said, I think you at least have to check in with the Jets to see how stupid they're willing to get.

#90 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 12:26 AM

Well if the Jets offer more than two number ones, and multiple other picks, I don't see how the Ravens could refuse.  It gets Biscotti off the hook of having to cave in to the guarantee, and it gives the draft team so much to work with over the next few years.  You trade a great player and a salary headache for a future of possible great players on a cheap salary.  

#91 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 January 2023 - 01:20 AM

I don't think the Jets have the ammo to trade for Lamar and blow us away unless they include Sauce, and the consensus seems to be that they are going to hold on to him. Only 1 first this year and it's pick 12. Subsequent year firsts get devalued by at least 1 round, and they can only trade up to 2 drafts after the upcoming one. If the Texans are in on him they can offer 2 and 12, which beats the Jets offer if they included every pick in the next 3 drafts.

#92 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 02:15 AM

Houston has too many other holes to fill to be giving up considerable draft capital in one blockbuster trade. Sure, they could improve the quarterback position dramatically and quickly by such means, but they also need offensive help on both the line and at wide receiver. Their front seven could use a few difference makers as well.

#93 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 06:48 AM

Houston has too many other holes to fill to be giving up considerable draft capital in one blockbuster trade. Sure, they could improve the quarterback position dramatically and quickly by such means, but they also need offensive help on both the line and at wide receiver. Their front seven could use a few difference makers as well.

I still think Atlanta might be the best trade option.  They need a quarterback, Lamar would be close to his home state, they're close to being a play-off contender in a lousy division and they have a solid running attack to compliment him.  Hell, they could take Roman with him, although who knows what Lamar felt about his offensive schemes.  It just makes the most sense to me. 

#94 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:53 AM

I still don't think Lamar is going anywhere. 

#95 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 January 2023 - 11:14 AM

Sorry if I missed a thread just for this topic somewhere but Ed Reed appears to no longer be the head coach at Bethune-Cookman

https://twitter.com/...829582325460992

she/her

#96 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 12:03 PM

Sorry if I missed a thread just for this topic somewhere but Ed Reed appears to no longer be the head coach at Bethune-Cookman

https://twitter.com/...829582325460992

Looks like Ed has a social media meltdown about his new employer, BCU, and they didn't like it. I saw he apologized, but I can't find what he said that pissed them off. Does anyone know what happened? When will people learn not to rant on social media?

#97 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 12:13 PM

Ed has always had a screw loose. My fav Raven ever but I coulda told you being a HC wasnt going to work

#98 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 12:31 PM

Funny how social media has a way of turning up character flaws that would otherwise go unnoticed.  If only people could stay off of it.......

#99 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 01:07 PM

Looks like Ed has a social media meltdown about his new employer, BCU, and they didn't like it. I saw he apologized, but I can't find what he said that pissed them off. Does anyone know what happened? When will people learn not to rant on social media?

He complained about the facilities (not just Athletic) and conditions at BCU.

#100 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 01:26 PM

I still think Atlanta might be the best trade option.  They need a quarterback, Lamar would be close to his home state, they're close to being a play-off contender in a lousy division and they have a solid running attack to compliment him.  Hell, they could take Roman with him, although who knows what Lamar felt about his offensive schemes.  It just makes the most sense to me. 

You could be right, but Atlanta, like Houston, is still a developing team. Is their roster good enough to compensate for the picks they'd have to surrender? If the DeShaun Watson trade is any bellwether, it's not only the high cost of first-rounders, but likely the additional picks which could inhibit Atlanta's ability to add depth to their squad. 

Atlanta certainly has cap room, but those aren't the only costs they or any other team would need to consider before making such a monumental move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=