#101 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,923 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 January 2023 - 01:32 PM

People are mad at Ed Reed for not just accepting failure? Which is what he would’ve been doing by not asking for the commitment to the facilities and infrastructure that he was asking for. Don’t blame him at all.
  • BSLMikeLowe and Mike B like this

#102 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2023 - 02:16 PM

DeCosta was just asked about Ben Powers. Sounds like he's all but gone. He played well and likely priced himself out of town.

Ben was very. Good tis year.  He is going to get paid.  Ben is another Oline guy the RAvens developed, and got good production from.  Next!

@mikeghg

#103 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 02:22 PM

Beb was very. Good tis year. He is going to get paid. Ben is another Oline guy the RAvens developed, and got good production from. Next!

Let Ben Cleveland out of the dog house!
  • Mike B likes this
@DaKittenz

#104 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 02:55 PM

Funny how social media has a way of turning up character flaws that would otherwise go unnoticed.  If only people could stay off of it.......

I've said many times, it's the worst thing to happen to professional sports

• PrimeTime, cprenegade and JStruds like this

#105 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:21 PM

People are mad at Ed Reed for not just accepting failure? Which is what he would’ve been doing by not asking for the commitment to the facilities and infrastructure that he was asking for. Don’t blame him at all.

I agree Ed should have been given a clean office and the team shouldn't be responsible for cleaning trash out of their own practice field, but there are better ways of handling this. Ed should have gone to the school directly and quietly. Instead, he immediately throws them under the bus by ranting online. It was unprofessional. Generally, it is not a good idea to rant about your employer online before you even start. I don't blame the school one bit for recognizing the hiring mistake and heading this off.

#106 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 21 January 2023 - 05:34 PM

I've said many times, it's the worst thing to happen to professional sports

And maybe humanity too.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#107 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2023 - 09:06 PM

My buddy told me that Harbaugh said if they were playing this week that Lamar would be able to play
I think he’s literally trolling us at this point. Says nothing about injuries ever. The first week we don’t have a game, he can play now!

Follow up question, was any of this contract related?

I think John was trying to be positive.  He was not and should not have thrown LJ under any buses at this point.  If Lamar checked out on the season, the Ravens will move on and get him out of town for a good price.  One way or the other, this will be done by the NFL draft.  The Ravens are a good organization.  

By the wayhe question was asked whether they thought LJ was sitting out because of the contract.  They both said he was working hard to get back.

@mikeghg

#108 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2023 - 09:07 PM

Let Ben Cleveland out of the dog house!

I really don’t think he was in it.  Who was he going to replace.  It is his turn.

@mikeghg

#109 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2023 - 09:14 PM

If Ed wants to coach, there will be better opportunities for him.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#110 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 22 January 2023 - 09:27 PM

If Huntley doesn't give up that fumble then maybe we play in the afc championship game. The Bills looked like ass today.

#111 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,693 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 10:27 PM

If Huntley doesn't give up that fumble then maybe we play in the afc championship game. The Bills looked like ass today.

We woulda played KC

#112 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,789 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 January 2023 - 10:49 PM

I’m sure it was a bunch of things, but it seems one thing he was fed up with was all the trash on campus. So he organized the team to do a trash pickup, and several other teams joined them. I’m sure the administration didn’t like having that on social media, but really, if you want to raise standards, both academically and athletically, you sure can’t sit there and tolerate a bunch of garbage all over your campus.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#113 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,923 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 January 2023 - 10:52 PM

I’m sure it was a bunch of things, but it seems one thing he was fed up with was all the trash on campus. So he organized the team to do a trash pickup, and several other teams joined them. I’m sure the administration didn’t like having that on social media, but really, if you want to raise standards, both academically and athletically, you sure can’t sit there and tolerate a bunch of garbage all over your campus.

It just seemed to me at least that the hire was clearly window dressing. It appears after a few weeks, Ed thought the same and got out of town. Good for him. They were setting him up for failure. You hire a man like that and can’t even clean the trash up before he shows up his first day? Get out.

#114 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,789 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 11:16 PM

It just seemed to me at least that the hire was clearly window dressing. It appears after a few weeks, Ed thought the same and got out of town. Good for him. They were setting him up for failure. You hire a man like that and can’t even clean the trash up before he shows up his first day? Get out.

I think there’s fault on both sides. I don’t blame Ed for wanting to hammer the administration for the conditions there. But go in front of the administration and do it. Don’t do it in front of the team and for sure don’t put it out on social media. But I think you’re right too, they just wanted Ed as window dressing to cover up their own laziness and complacency. If Ed’s serious about a career in coaching, he may have dodged a bullet by not getting that job, but hopefully he learns from this too.

#115 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 22 January 2023 - 11:45 PM

We woulda played KC

Well forget what I said then. Other than the part about the Bills looking like ass today.

#116 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 January 2023 - 08:38 AM

I think there’s fault on both sides. I don’t blame Ed for wanting to hammer the administration for the conditions there. But go in front of the administration and do it. Don’t do it in front of the team and for sure don’t put it out on social media. But I think you’re right too, they just wanted Ed as window dressing to cover up their own laziness and complacency. If Ed’s serious about a career in coaching, he may have dodged a bullet by not getting that job, but hopefully he learns from this too.

And if administration does nothing about it, what should he have done then? Perhaps I'm too pessimistic but I really don't think going to them directly was gonna make a real dent.    

#117 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,789 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 11:59 AM

And if administration does nothing about it, what should he have done then?

Walk away. If they promised him something during negotiations, then refuse to put it in the contract, then they're just setting you up to fail and it's not worth it.

And I have no problem with Ed's statement after all this where he points that out. I think when someone of his stature simply backs out, stating the reason was you failed to live up to your promise to fix the terrible conditions at the school (and not just for football), that would have put 100% of the scrutiny on the administration. Instead, it seems sentiment is split 50-50 because of the way Ed publicly went off on them....which might make it less likely things change there for the better.

#118 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,581 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 03:11 PM

Ravens.com: DeCosta's Take on Pending Free Agents And Other Roster Decisions

https://www.baltimor...VhqRgdZnIklOhlY

#119 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,789 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 04:51 PM

Don't want to derail this thread too far, but for those who want a sense of how substandard things at BCU were/are, check out this video clip where the coach has to call a timeout during a game because a player trying to get on the field had to wait for a player coming off the field to give him his helmet. Ed could've approached it more diplomatically, but what he was talking about was real.

https://twitter.com/...976045482938375

#120 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,581 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 03:46 PM

Ravens.com: 15 WR's Who Could Interest The Ravens

https://www.baltimor...85-b6f9022dd2ae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors