155 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2021 - 02:24 PM

$7M is what it costs the Orioles to get a scrap heap SP. Wouldn't be surprised if the guy would have taken half that much to sign with anyone else.

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 02:56 PM

$7M is what it costs the Orioles to get a scrap heap SP. Wouldn't be surprised if the guy would have taken half that much to sign with anyone else.

I'd be shocked if the Orioles outbid anybody to get him.

So this is a rock and hard place situation.

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

I'd be shocked if the Orioles outbid anybody to get him.

So this is a rock and hard place situation.

I don't think they did either. If they outbid anyone, it was themselves. I think he said if you want to sign me, this is the price, otherwise I'm happy to take my chances after the lockout.

This is where the Orioles are as a franchise....having to pay a premium for a replacement-level pitcher. Still, a little surprised they actually paid it.

#44 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,580 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:57 PM

Meh. We payed 4.5 mil between '07-'08 for Trachsel to give us 180 innings and an ERA+ of 86. 7 mil in '21 for likely no worse and possibly a bit better seems like a deal!

Yeah, his 2008 was beyond terrible. His 2007 performance would've been, by far, our second best pitcher in 2021.

#45 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:14 PM

I think it’s much more likely the offer was out there and he decided to agree to it right before the lockout.
  • Mike B likes this

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:24 PM

I am not optimistic that Lyles is going to develop into a solid starter, but the willingness to spend 7 M, surprises me in a good way.

@mikeghg

#47 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:37 PM

I always thought a good rule of thumb was every 1 WAR was worth about $5 million.

So considering Lyles, at best 0 WAR, and realistically a NEGATIVE WAR..... he should be basically free.

the number has moved up quite a bit from that point.  It's around 8 million right now, which is where it's hovered for the past several years.

Regardless, it could be 30 million, and the answer's still the same.

#48 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:20 PM

This move is great too. High ERA / high WHIP 30 year old to complement Odor and his low AVG / low OBP, high K rate.

Can't wait to see them face each other in spring intrasquad!!!

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:57 PM

This move is great too. High ERA / high WHIP 30 year old to complement Odor and his low AVG / low OBP, high K rate.

Can't wait to see them face each other in spring intrasquad!!!

I'm picturing something like this one-on-one game from Big Bang Theory.

• Ravens2006 likes this

#50 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,725 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:32 AM

Hadn't heard this earlier but I just read it in one of the articles on espn (I think)....

Manfred's competitive-balance conversation accompanied a week in which union leader and right-hander Max Scherzer signed a contract to receive in 2022 more than the entire Baltimore Orioles roster is due next year.

If my math is generally correct, the 7M promised to Lyles takes the Orioles, if you include the 2022 payments to Chris Davis, just over 43M....which in theory....nullifies this MLBPA talking point.

I mean it doesn't really nullify the talking point (because it's absurd that the Orioles have the payroll they do) but from the perspective of math it does (unless you live in Portland).

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#51 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,580 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:47 AM

Hadn't heard this earlier but I just read it in one of the articles on espn (I think)....

If my math is generally correct, the 7M promised to Lyles takes the Orioles, if you include the 2022 payments to Chris Davis, just over 43M....which in theory....nullifies this MLBPA talking point.

I mean it doesn't really nullify the talking point (because it's absurd that the Orioles have the payroll they do) but from the perspective of math it does (unless you live in Portland).

I doubt that's why they decided to throw an absurd amount of money at Jordan Lyles, but if their intent was to simply be above a certain salary threshold, I wish they'd have spent the money on a more talented player.

#52 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:01 PM

I dont know how anyone doesnt buy into the Baltimore effect on pitchers. Its not just the young guys who came up through the system who either flame out or m9ve on and succeed elsewhere. Look at vets like Miley and Cobb and what they do outside of Baltimore vs what they do here.

The performances by guys like Chen and Hammel kind of invalidates this part of your  theory. 

#53 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,965 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:18 PM

The performances by guys like Chen and Hammel kind of invalidates this part of your  theory. 

Chen for sure. Buck was great at matching him up and managing him through outings. Hammel Ill call a wash. His 2nd season here wasnt  good and he went to the Cubs and  had 3 solid seasons. His ERA+ here ended up being worse than his 3 seasons immediatedly after he left. There are cases both ways and multiple factors to consider  but I think you can find numerous cases of success post Baltimore. Its a tough park and usually a strong offensive division. Thats not to use its an excuse, or that you cant be a great pitcher here, but it is a factor and Im sure it has a psychological affect on some guys. I mean Miley for example, you could see he was too often afraid to throw the ball over the plate.

#54 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:22 AM

BSL: Thoughts On The Orioles Signing Jordan Lyles; And His Slider

https://baltimorespo...and-his-slider/

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan and Mike B like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#55 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:06 PM

Since he's a former Astro, does Elias maybe know something about him that could translate into improved success?

#56 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:07 PM

Since he's a former Astro, does Elias maybe know something about him that could translate into improved success?

Nope...

• Mike B and BaltBird 24 like this

#57 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,580 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:09 PM

He definitely worked some magic on Rio Ruiz.

What's the old saying.... you can't polish a turd?

#58 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:59 PM

He definitely worked some magic on Rio Ruiz.

What's the old saying.... you can't polish a turd?

I've heard "you can't put a silk hat on a turd."  I assume the meaning is similar...and I will no longer be purchasing Jordan a lovely silk hat for Christmas.

#59 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:45 AM

I've heard "you can't put a silk hat on a turd."  I assume the meaning is similar...and I will no longer be purchasing Jordan a lovely silk hat for Christmas.

I understand why you can't polish a turd... but I don't see why can't you put a silk hat on one if you want to.  Why can't you?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#60 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,256 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:49 AM

I understand why you can't polish a turd... but I don't see why can't you put a silk hat on one if you want to.  Why can't you?

Its a scientific principle. Put a low coefficient of friction item on another low coefficient of friction item and they slide apart. So while you can do it the desired outcome is very short lived.

• Dr. FLK and RShack like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=