Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:39 PM

1.86 ERA in July

He battles and he adjusts as the game goes on.  He has been better than I expected, but I guess that holds true for the 2022 Orioles.

@mikeghg

#82 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:45 PM

They were talking about it a little last night. Lyles going from giving up most HR last year (while pitching in 6th most HR conducive park) to going to OPACY with...coincidence...a fence that has been moved back to make it 26th in HR allowed.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#83 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 August 2022 - 06:57 AM

Tied for 9th for starts of 100 or more pitches

Screen-Shot-2022-08-03-at-7-57-05-AM.png

she/her

#84 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 07:37 AM

Tied for 9th for starts of 100 or more pitches

Screen-Shot-2022-08-03-at-7-57-05-AM.png

When we signed him I was meh about it. But, I think he's played an important role. Without his innings, keeping the bullpen fresh enough would have been impossible. 

#85 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 August 2022 - 07:58 AM

The man is a total professional.  He gives it everything he has, every game.  That is all anyone can ask for.

The young pitchers on the team, like Wells, Kremer and Watkins all seem to like him and hang around him in the dugout.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 08:16 AM

It's so important to have someone you know is going to take the mound every 5th day and most times give you a chance.  
Not everyone has to be a Cy Young.  Average  ish results with plus dependability is valuable. 

#87 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 08:22 AM

Didnt realize his option jumped to 11 mil. They probably have to decline that though its essentially 10 since there is a 1 mil buyout

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 08:29 AM

Didnt realize his option jumped to 11 mil. They probably have to decline that though its essentially 10 since there is a 1 mil buyout

Why? I mean, I'd be lying if I said I think they'll pick it up...  but the $ shouldn't matter.  And yeah, you could possibly find like production for less, but I'd just assume run it back with the guy you know.  And since Means' return will be a question, having Lyles consistency available to you as a starting point (plus Kremer, Wells, etc) I think would be a good thing. 

Then you can concentrate your efforts on finding one front end starter...  vs having to find one front end start, and Lyles 2.0.

#89 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 August 2022 - 08:33 AM

Because it's important we as fans be responsible caretakers of Angelos' money.

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 08:41 AM

Because it's important we as fans be responsible caretakers of Angelos' money.

I don't care if they don't want to spend money. I think they should. I think they have the means to do so, and it's an advantage they can utilize going forward.  But if they want to operate like Tampa, that's fine by me... but then you have to operate like Tampa, and that means never getting attached to any names.  (Obviously not talking about Lyles here.)

#91 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 August 2022 - 08:49 AM

I think they’ll pick it up and trade him over the offseason similar to Iglesias. And then replace him with someone better.

#92 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:33 PM

I just think 11 is too much for him. Someone like Kluber is signed for 1/8 and he is better

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:35 PM

I just think 11 is too much for him. Someone like Kluber is signed for 1/8 and he is better

If they get someone better, fine, but there is no need to worry over paying $11M for a $7M producer for a single season.  Its irrelevant until/unless they start spending a ton and get near whatever the max budget might be.

#94 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:37 PM

Lyles on pace to have about 30-35 more innings than Kluber this year FWIW.

#95 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:38 PM

I have no problem with bringing Lyles back as a 4th or 5th starter. I just think you can do better for the same price

#96 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

If they get someone better, fine, but there is no need to worry over paying $11M for a $7M producer for a single season. Its irrelevant until/unless they start spending a ton and get near whatever the max budget might be.

They absolutely should get someone better. Maybe even two guys better. Yes, though, the price for Lyles is irrelevant.

Actually, let me edit that to it should be irrelevant. Ownership might disagree lol.

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 08:47 AM

FanGraphs: Sunday Notes: Revisiting Jordan Lyles, Who is Winning With The Orioles

#98 IanQuillen

IanQuillen

All-Star

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 09:43 AM

Lyles on pace to have about 30-35 more innings than Kluber this year FWIW.

That's pretty amazing. And pretty important for a club that -- if it does go south down the stretch -- may be because an overused (and depleted after dealing away Lopez) bullpen regresses

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#99 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:57 AM

That's pretty amazing. And pretty important for a club that -- if it does go south down the stretch -- may be because an overused (and depleted after dealing away Lopez) bullpen regresses

I think the Orioles feel the same way about the BP, since they are talking about Hall being a weapon out of the pen down the stretch.

@mikeghg

#100 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:23 AM

Starts of 100+ pitches

Corbin Burnes - 20
Sandy Alcantara - 19