1235 replies to this topic

#1121 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:40 PM

Holliday was at least +1400 at one site to go #1 earlier today. That wouldve been a nice little ticket to cash.

Do agree with Mack that this puts to rest any concerns that the Os are too college and or underslot heavy early in round 1.

#1122 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:41 PM

Who do we like at #81 tomorrow?

Well, eliminate all the pitching. That should make it easier to take a guess. Lol.

#1123 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:45 PM

Don’t draft gators, for the zillionth time

@fuzydunlop

#1124 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,111 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:49 PM

I would like a player who's primary job is delivering the ball to the plate, please.

#1125 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,477 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:52 PM

Well, eliminate all the pitching. That should make it easier to take a guess. Lol.

They've never taken a P prior to the 5th Rd under Elias. They already broke one trend this year taking a HS in the 1st Rd.

Not sure how their board syncs with MLB.com's, but if they are close then taking another college bat will require a bit of a reach....Luke Gold (2B, Boston College) is the top available, rated #87.

#1126 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 07:08 AM

I don't think Porter is feasible, even on an all-in play.

Gotta think minimum he needs to sign would be $5M (that's #10 pick bonus).  Even if the O's punt the rest of their picks (draft only 4th/5th year seniors and sign for $5-10k bonuses) and use all of their 5% overage they'd only be able to scrape together about $3.7M.  

The first four picks might sign for a bit below slot altogether, but with no big reaches I don't think there is a combined $1.5M savings.  

#1127 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 July 2022 - 07:14 AM

They've never taken a P prior to the 5th Rd under Elias. They already broke one trend this year taking a HS in the 1st Rd.

Not sure how their board syncs with MLB.com's, but if they are close then taking another college bat will require a bit of a reach....Luke Gold (2B, Boston College) is the top available, rated #87.

It is amazing to me, how little draft capital they spend on pitching.

I guess it is a strategy he believes in.

I would caution everyone not to get to attached to any of the position prospects, because some will almost definitely be traded for pitching.

@mikeghg

#1128 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 07:19 AM

Holliday bats left

Beavers bats left

Cowser bats left

Reed bats both

Kjerstad bats left

Rutschman bats both

Henderson bats left

Stowers bats left

Some of these picks are before they could have been considering the stadium changes, but lots of top picks committed to LHB.  RHB in the mix as well of course (Wagner, Fabian, Norby, Rhodes, Westburg, Haskin, Mayo, Watson, Ortiz, Hernaiz) but it does feel intentional to me that they are focusing so much on LHB to try and give an advantage at home where they think its going to be a much easier time for lefties than righties (haven't looked to see if the splits are actually borne out in the first half season, and half season is too small to consider telling anyways in this regard).

#1129 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 07:41 AM

Holliday bats left

Beavers bats left

Cowser bats left

Reed bats both

Kjerstad bats left

Rutschman bats both

Henderson bats left

Stowers bats left

Some of these picks are before they could have been considering the stadium changes, but lots of top picks committed to LHB.  RHB in the mix as well of course (Wagner, Fabian, Norby, Rhodes, Westburg, Haskin, Mayo, Watson, Ortiz, Hernaiz) but it does feel intentional to me that they are focusing so much on LHB to try and give an advantage at home where they think its going to be a much easier time for lefties than righties (haven't looked to see if the splits are actually borne out in the first half season, and half season is too small to consider telling anyways in this regard).

It does seem intentional

#1130 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2022 - 08:22 AM

I love all that.

#1131 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 08:26 AM

Ciolik did say that some pitchers they were interested in went right before they were on the clock.  Definitely looked like he was being genuine.

#1132 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:17 AM

I'm all for favoring players that should benefit from the change to the park.

#1133 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:23 AM

I don't think Porter is feasible, even on an all-in play.

Gotta think minimum he needs to sign would be $5M (that's #10 pick bonus). Even if the O's punt the rest of their picks (draft only 4th/5th year seniors and sign for $5-10k bonuses) and use all of their 5% overage they'd only be able to scrape together about $3.7M.

The first four picks might sign for a bit below slot altogether, but with no big reaches I don't think there is a combined $1.5M savings.

Yeah Porter seems destined for Clemson but hey maybe the Os called him last night or today and he is willing to come down a bit from where he was.

#1134 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:26 AM

I'm all for favoring players that should benefit from the change to the park.

Agree, its a easy way to get an advantage.  My only concern would be that lefty bats tend to have sharper platoon splits than righty bats.  So could be opening up to some issues with LHP, but even if that happens I don't think it'd cancel out the full benefit that could be gained from the roster construction preferences.

#1135 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:33 AM

Yeah Porter seems destined for Clemson ....

I have a dollar on Porter at 4-109.

• Mackus likes this

#1136 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:42 AM

I have a dollar on Porter at 4-109.

You think Rocker is far enough underslot that they can throw more at Porter?  Every remaining slot they have left and all their 5% overage would only get them to about $2M.  If Rocker takes $5.5M, then Porter can get about $4.5M.  Does either side sign for that?

#1137 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:48 AM

You think Rocker is far enough underslot that they can throw more at Porter?  Every remaining slot they have left and all their 5% overage would only get them to about $2M.  If Rocker takes $5.5M, then Porter can get about $4.5M.  Does either side sign for that?

Rocker agreed to $5.2m already. Tells me that the Rangers have a plan with SOMEONE. Could make sense. OR they just could have been putting aside to go after SOMEONE that dropped and others have been picked. Hard to say. This year was weird in that sense...I blame COVID and the adapting a lot of these kids did.

• Mackus likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#1138 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:51 AM

If you were convinced a divisional rival was going to draft a talent in say the 5th round or even 4th round would you consider drafting him 1st even though you know you have no chance of meeting his demand. You are wasting a pick and its pretty unfair to the kid and probably unethical too.

#1139 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 July 2022 - 10:14 AM

Rocker agreed to $5.2m already. 

Crazy.  I don't know why they want to be buddies with Boras, but they bailed him out and screwed themselves at the same time.

...and I'm someone that is all about getting to your end-state, so do what you want and own it, but UGH.

#1140 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 10:19 AM

If you were convinced a divisional rival was going to draft a talent in say the 5th round or even 4th round would you consider drafting him 1st even though you know you have no chance of meeting his demand. You are wasting a pick and its pretty unfair to the kid and probably unethical too.

No, these guys aren't reliable enough in terms of developing into something useful to be doing things like that.

You also lose the bonus slot if you don't sign the guy, so your overall ability to sign guys goes down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=