• 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2021 - 10:01 AM

Here is the current 2022 MLB Draft order, as of September 10, 2021:

1) Arizona
2) Baltimore   0.5 GB

3) Pittsburgh  5.0 GB
4)Texas          6.5 GB

The O's have 23 games remaining, the D'Backs have 22. In the event of a tie between the D'Backs and O's, the O's would pick 1st, based on tie-breakers. Also, Pittsburgh and Texas both hold tie-breakers over the O's and D'Backs.

Here is where you can see updated standings: http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

• Mike B likes this

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 10:06 AM

If Elijah Greene is, in fact, the type of once in a decade kind of talent..... then I fully expect the Orioles to be good enough to earn the #2 pick.

#3 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2021 - 10:43 AM

If Elijah Greene is, in fact, the type of once in a decade kind of talent..... then I fully expect the Orioles to be good enough to earn the #2 pick.

He is a seriously special talent, no doubt.  Naturally, it's too soon to know who will emerge the favorite to go #1 overall as we get close to the draft, but Greene is certainly the current favorite.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:02 AM

Last time I found myself rooting for the Diamondbacks was 20 years ago in the WS.

• Greg Pappas and Don Quixote like this

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:08 AM

Here is the current 2022 MLB Draft order, as of September 10, 2021:

1) Arizona
2) Baltimore   0.5 GB

3) Pittsburgh  5.0 GB
4)Texas          6.5 GB

The O's have 23 games remaining, the D'Backs have 24. In the event of a tie between the D'Backs and O's, the O's would pick 1st, based on tie-breakers.

Arizona has actually played 1 more game than us.  They are 45-95 and we are 45 -94.

We have 23 left and they have 22.

We have  7 against the Jays, 6 against the Red Sox, 3 with NYY, 3 with Philly and 4 with Texas.

The Dbacks play the Mariners for 3, Dodgers for 6, Astro's for 3, Atlanta 4, Giants 3 and Rockies to end the year for 3..

Both teams really stink, and both finish with tough schedules but the Orioles schedule may be a little tougher.  I think we can out lose them.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@mikeghg

#6 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:12 AM

He is a seriously special talent, no doubt.  Naturally, it's too soon to know who will emerge the favorite to go #1 overall as we get close to the draft, but Greene is certainly the current favorite.

Yeah I think you can find plenty of people declaring Bobby Witt a future Oriole in September 2018 and then Adley had probably the greatest offensive season from a college catcher ever 

she/her

#7 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:14 AM

Also this website is your best resource for the #1 pick standings http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

• Greg Pappas and Mike B like this

she/her

#8 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:29 AM

Arizona has actually played 1 more game than us.  They are 45-95 and we are 45 -94.

We have 23 left and they have 22.

We have  7 against the Jays, 6 against the Red Sox, 3 with NYY, 3 with Philly and 4 with Texas.

The Dbacks play the Mariners for 3, Dodgers for 6, Astro's for 3, Atlanta 4, Giants 3 and Rockies to end the year for 3..

Both teams really stink, and both finish with tough schedules but the Orioles schedule may be a little tougher.  I think we can out lose them.

Yes, I was mistaken about the D'Backs # of games.  Thank you.

#9 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:30 AM

Also this website is your best resource for the #1 pick standings http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

It's where I go, so thank you for bringing it up. Adding that to the OP.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:33 AM

Thanks, this is good.

I like the site name.   Tankathon, the Orioles have become a tenured member.

@mikeghg

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:38 AM

I am surprised our SOS is as low as 7.   

@mikeghg

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 09:33 AM

When you're looking at making the playoffs, you usually track "games behind in the loss column", because as the team trying to catch up you assume you have a chance to win every game so only the games behind that you've already lost are ones you can't make up.

Similarly, the thing to track for the #1 pick is games ahead in the win column.  

Diamondbacks have won 45 games

Orioles have won 46 games

Rangers and Pirates have won 51 games

Arizona has 21 games left, the Orioles have 22.  Should be close.

Even with this small amount of a season left, I can't bring myself to root for a loss or to be upset if they win.  Maybe if it gets down to the final few games.  I can bring myself to root for the Diamondbacks to win, so that the O's could maybe play slightly more tolerable ball and still land that top pick.  Which as I've said many times previously, is clearly better than the 2nd pick, though still not immensely valuable.  Certainly not worth tanking all season and I think anyone who thinks it is worth that is as wrong as wrong can be.  But since you've already come this far, I can understand wanting to at least get that top pick at this point since we're here and only looking at a few more weeks of play.

• Greg Pappas and BobPhelan like this

#13 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:16 AM

1) Arizona
2) Baltimore   1.5 GB

#14 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:25 AM

ProspectsLive.com listed their Top 150 Prospects for the Draft, as of three days ago. I'll list the Top 5 (+ 2 bonus prospects):

1. Brooks Lee
Shortstop, Cal Poly

A name many expected to hear called in the 2019 MLB Draft, Lee decided to forego MLB to play for his dad at Cal Poly. Listed at 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Lee is an extremely physical, barrel-chested shortstop with a significant strength throughout his frame. Big for the position, Lee carries his size extremely well on the dirt where his fluidity on the dirt and huge arm really standout on defense. He receives high marks for his instincts and leadership on the field, captaining the defense in-between plays. A switch-hitter with power from both sides of the plate, Lee showcases a big bat with a plus hit tool and thump. Extremely quick hands. It’s plus raw power that he’s getting into, spraying missiles to all fields. Scouts believe there’s significant power coming. Lee may eventually have to shift to third base, though his toolset fits the position nicely. He’s a fringy runner, but his athleticism more than makes up for any foot speed he may lack.

2. Jace Jung
Second Base, Texas Tech

Jace, the younger brother to 2018 first round pick Josh Jung, can flat out mash. A power-oriented corner infielder, Jung hit almost .500 as a senior in high school before stepping in and starting immediately for the Red Raiders. He hit 4 home runs in 16 starts for Texas Tech in 2020 and pumped out 21 more as a true sophomore in 2021. His .337 average was among the best in the Big 12. At 6-foot, 205 pounds, Jung is a thick, super strong middle infielder with serious thump at the plate. He draws a ton of walks and limits his strikeouts to healthy levels. A second baseman now, Jung could probably move to third base at the next level. He’s got an average arm and fringy lateral mobility, but he’s quick enough on his feet where scouts think he may be able to handle the hot corner. That said, we’re certainly talking about a bat-first prospect who could eventually end up a plus-plus hitter with plus juice.

3. Elijah Green 
Outfield, IMG Academy

One of the most exciting players in the country, Green is a do-it-all, powder-keg package of explosivity and bottled energy on the baseball diamond. Already 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, he’s a physical specimen built different than his colleagues. Simply put, there’s not much Green cannot do. At this stage, Green might be the best prep prospect the MLB Draft has seen in quite some time. Some evaluators believe he could be a plus hitter with plus-plus raw power, and he’s already tapping into that juice in-game. He’s currently at least a 70-runner with a 70-arm as well. There can be some swing and miss in his game, and that’s a huge part of prospect evaluation, so it’ll be something scouts are keeping a close eye on. There aren’t too many warts in his game. Green is a very special talent and teams will covet his services in the draft.

4. Termarr Johnson
Second Base, Mays High School 

Despite his size, Johnson has some of the best bat speed in the entire class. He has a chance to be a really special hitter when all is said and done. He's a thunderous hitter with quick, explosive actions at the plate. It's comfortably plus raw power, and he's getting into it in-game already. Johnson covers the zone extremely well and uses the whole field, displaying big opposite-field juice when he lets the ball travel. He's already a muscled up, thick middle infielder, so his ultimate home on the dirt will likely be dictated by what direction his body goes as he's works his way up the develomental ladder. Currently a shortstop, Johnson probably figures to end up at second base or third base long-term. This is an elite-level bat.

5. Carter Young
Shortstop, Vanderbilt

Bit of a do-it-all player in his prep days, Young has played catcher and middle infield over the course of his young career. Young started every game at shortstop for Vandy where he'd hit .328 in a shortened season in 2020. Young is revered for his actions on the dirt where he's comfortably an above average defender, though most believe his athleticism and twitch suggest a plus defender at the next level. The throwing arm also comfortably grades out above average, aided by his experience behind the plate as a prep. A switch-hitter, he’s beginning to tap into some power at the plate, especially from left side. Young was a little banged up toward the latter half of the 2021 season. Fully healthy again in 2022, he figures to be one of the more complete hitters in the SEC. 

10. Druw Jones (Andruw Jones' son)
Outfield, Wesleyan HS

Jones has some of the most explosive athletic ability in the 2022 class and the namesake to draw in fans. The bat-to-ball skills here are impressive. Primarily an opposite field slasher to date, Jones went through a swing change recently and is now generating more power and producing more pull-side pop. He’s really engaging his lower half well and driving the ball with authority. At 6-foot-3, Jones has a prototype frame that should stick in centerfield thanks to plus-plus speed and impressive on-field instincts. He produces big barrel velocity with violent hands and an aggressive, whippy swing plane. He gets fantastic extension at the plate. Jones may end up a plus defender in centerfield with terrific speed and a plus arm to go along with it. He’s a high-level defensive prospect with a budding bat that may end up matching his elite chops in the field.

27. Kumar Rocker
RHP/ Independent Ball

After being selected 10th overall in the 2021 MLB Draft, the New York Mets and Kumar Rocker could not come to an agreement on a pro contract. Because of this, Rocker will give it another go in 2022. The weaponry is well-chronicled. A fastball that has been up to 98 but more often sits 92-95. A wide breaking ball with tremendous depth has been graded as high as plus-plus by evaluators in the past. A cutter that flashes above average and a changeup that is below average more often than not. Rocker has the making of a big league starting pitcher with at least three pitches in his arsenal. There's some concern over his medicals after reports surfaced that he failed his physical with the Mets post-draft. Rocker's pitching elbow will be a point of emphasis for scouts as evaluators try to determine where he fits inside this years class.

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:30 AM

Could you imagine drafting a Brooks as your future SS or 3B, especially since he was named after Brooks Robinson? =) 
That'd be pretty cool. 

#16 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 September 2021 - 12:16 PM

LOL the pressure of being the #1 or #2 pick named Brooks seems like it'd be a lot  

• Greg Pappas likes this

she/her

#17 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 September 2021 - 12:39 PM

Added Andruw Jones' son Druw along with Kumar Rocker to the post above.

• sandiegosean likes this

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 September 2021 - 12:58 PM

You gotta leave Jung on the board for the Rangers.

• Greg Pappas and BobPhelan like this

#19 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:06 PM

I have no opinion, at all, about who the Orioles will take with their early pick.

JACOB BERRY

#20 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:39 PM

Seems like a good class at the top so far. It’s just so early.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=