#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:09 AM

Elias didn't have anything to do with getting the #1 pick (although I imagine having the #1 pick was an appealing part of him taking the job) but he had everything to do with making the selection. And it wasn't a 100% scenario, there were intelligent people who wanted Witt. Consensus was strongly in Rutschman's favor, but not unanimous.

Furthermore, drafting is only part of the equation. Development is another part of it. So not just Rutschman and the rest of the 2019 class, but anyone who had yet to graduate to the majors will have been at least partially under Elias and his staff's tutelage.

This feels very similar to the conversation about MacPhail acquiring most of the past core but Duquette being necessary to augment it to deliver a winning team. Credit can be split or shared. But if you're talking about the people Elias has brought in since taking over, you have to mention Rutschman. It's disingenuous not to do so, IMO. Elias didn't create the opportunity to select Rutschman, but he is the guy who selected him.

It's also Elias player development system that is developing him. Top pick or not, that should be mentioned.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:37 AM

Elias didn't have anything to do with getting the #1 pick (although I imagine having the #1 pick was an appealing part of him taking the job) but he had everything to do with making the selection. And it wasn't a 100% scenario, there were intelligent people who wanted Witt. Consensus was strongly in Rutschman's favor, but not unanimous.

Furthermore, drafting is only part of the equation. Development is another part of it. So not just Rutschman and the rest of the 2019 class, but anyone who had yet to graduate to the majors will have been at least partially under Elias and his staff's tutelage.

This feels very similar to the conversation about MacPhail acquiring most of the past core but Duquette being necessary to augment it to deliver a winning team. Credit can be split or shared. But if you're talking about the people Elias has brought in since taking over, you have to mention Rutschman. It's disingenuous not to do so, IMO. Elias didn't create the opportunity to select Rutschman, but he is the guy who selected him.

Yes, you mention it, but it would be disingenuous to not also mention that he was delivered to Elias on a silver platter.

#43 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:56 AM

Yes, you mention it, but it would be disingenuous to not also mention that he was delivered to Elias on a silver platter.

And he could have chosen someone else without the baseball world questioning it too much. Unless it was very much under slot.
@BSLMikeRandall

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:59 AM

By the way, no one is getting credit for a damn thing until there are results in the W/L column as far as I'm concerned. But you guys have fun with this.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#45 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:00 AM

Yeah you could do the same argument with how the Astros rebuild went. Springer was drafted and Altuve was already in the organization before the Luhnow group took over. 

she/her

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 June 2021 - 10:21 PM

And he could have chosen someone else without the baseball world questioning it too much. Unless it was very much under slot.

Eh. He was very much in a position where if that first pick looked really bad now, that'd largely be on him unless it was some fluke thing. In other words, he was put in a position to succeed with that pick. If you're the type of person that likes to praise the person that was born on third and think they hit a homer, this is up your ally. To me it's more of not screwing up a great opportunity.

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:08 AM

MASN: Jahmai Jones: “I’m definitely happy to have a fan base in Baltimore”

https://www.masnspor...-baltimore.html

#48 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:51 AM

MASN: Jahmai Jones: “I’m definitely happy to have a fan base in Baltimore”

https://www.masnspor...-baltimore.html

Great attitude from this kid.  I'm definitely rooting for him.  

#49 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 04:47 PM

Jones, is very quietly have an excellent offensive season.   Considering his level (AAA) and age, he is possibly having the best all around season, offensively, in the system.   Some power, some speed, excellent plate discipline numbers, and an excellent OPS.   There seems to be concern about him staying at 2B but considering his athleticism, I'm hopeful that he can stick.

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 03:12 AM

Im concerned that his defense doesnt play at 2b. I dont watch AAA games so I have nothing to base that on other than he hasn't been promoted and the team has alluded to him needing to be better at 2b.

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:42 AM

He played OF exclusively his first 3 years in the Angels org, then got moved in to 2B exclusively in 2018 and 90% on 2019. If the O's decide he doesn't have the glove for 2B, maybe he could move back to LF but I'm not sure he's a candidate for anywhere else besides 1B/DH where his bat is unlikely to be good enough and we're already kind of set with Mancini (for now?) and Mountcastle.

#52 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 07:03 AM

They should keep forcing the issue for now which is what it seems they are doing. Makes me wonder how good his OF defense was if they tried to make him a 2b. Or maybe LAA is just loaded in the OF organizationally . Either way it seems he may have real issues with the leather. Still, if the bat plays you can probably find some PT for him even if its as a uti OFer/ emergency 2b/ DH.
  • Mackus likes this

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 07:14 AM

It seems to be a new desire in baseball to have guys capable of standing at multiple positions. Defensive excellence rewarded and still desired, but adequacy and position versatility also highly regarded.

#54 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:00 AM

He makes some real eye-opening plays and shows off great range at 2B one night but then shows limited range and fumbles what should be fairly easy plays the next night. The discussions about his defense are honest and accurate assessments. But he looks very comfortable at the plate and gets on base at a fantastic rate. The only frustrating thing about watching him is the defensive inconsistency because it's very clear when you watch him that he has all the athletic ability to be a major league regular.

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan and Mackus like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:39 AM

It seems to be a new desire in baseball to have guys capable of standing at multiple positions. Defensive excellence rewarded and still desired, but adequacy and position versatility also highly regarded.

With all the shifts, that teams are playing today, I guess versatility is important for numerous reasons.

That said, Jones is still relatively new to second base, so there are going to be lapses.

@mikeghg

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 July 2021 - 12:36 PM

Norfolk is terrible and there does not seem to be much there.

One of the few positives is Jahmai Jones.

154 AB

.299 BA

7 HR

.404 OBP

.930 OPS

I am surprised, he is not up, instead of Leyba, Guitierez or even Pat the Bat.

I wonder if they have made the decision not to promote any of what they consider real prospects until May of next year.

I wonder if the possible work stoppage is playing a part in this?

@mikeghg

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 01:45 PM

Norfolk is terrible and there does not seem to be much there.

One of the few positives is Jahmai Jones.

154 AB

.299 BA

7 HR

.404 OBP

.930 OPS

I am surprised, he is not up, instead of Leyba, Guitierez or even Pat the Bat.

I wonder if they have made the decision not to promote any of what they consider real prospects until May of next year.

I wonder if the possible work stoppage is playing a part in this?

Jones would be up... but he's raw / inexperienced at 2nd.  When he's more comfortable with the position (can be counted on for making the routine), he will be up.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 01:50 PM

Jones would be up... but he's raw / inexperienced at 2nd.  When he's more comfortable with the position (can be counted on for making the routine), he will be up.

He was exclusively a 2B in 2018 and nearly exclusively (9 starts in OF) in 2019.  Don't know what he was doing last year at camp but he started at 2B in both of his MLB appearances.  Defense might be the only plausible excuse left for the Orioles keeping him down, but if he's not comfortable yet after 2 and possibly 3 full years plus all of this year so far (6 starts in LF, rest at 2B)...will he ever be?

#59 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 01:50 PM

He makes some real eye-opening plays and shows off great range at 2B one night but then shows limited range and fumbles what should be fairly easy plays the next night. 

Any chance it's a Prestige situation where his twin brother is secretly playing half the games?

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 01:55 PM

He was exclusively a 2B in 2018 and nearly exclusively (9 starts in OF) in 2019.  Don't know what he was doing last year at camp but he started at 2B in both of his MLB appearances.  Defense might be the only plausible excuse left for the Orioles keeping him down, but if he's not comfortable yet after 2 and possibly 3 full years plus all of this year so far (6 starts in LF, rest at 2B)...will he ever be?

IDK.  I'd have him up now, because I don't think he's the type of prospect you need to place service time games with.  But there has been enough talk about the questions / concerns with his defense, I can buy that being a real issue they have in-terms of promoting him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=