117 replies to this topic

#81 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 07:29 AM

A HBP, 3 strikeouts (all looking), a foul out, and an error.  Not a great start, although he made a couple of nice plays in the field, and some/all of those called third strikes were a result of the umpire's huge strike zone.

#82 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 07:56 AM

A HBP, 3 strikeouts (all looking), a foul out, and an error.  Not a great start, although he made a couple of nice plays in the field, and some/all of those called third strikes were a result of the umpire's huge strike zone.

Glad I didn't bother to watch beyond his first AB.

Not sure why they waited this long to call him up.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#83 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,746 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 07:58 AM

I think he's saying Jones' promotion is to throw the fans a bone about having another young player to watch when frustration seems to be reaching an apex.

Because otherwise...why not sooner? He's been ice cold lately (unless you look at only the 4-5 games immediately preceding the promotion), so it's not like he just forced their hand. He had MLB experience already before the season began, so it's not likely that he just couldn't handle the stress of a promotion 2 months ago. I don't think he's a guy you worry about potential Super-2 status with, but we've been beyond the time when you'd worry about him being a Super-2 for about 2 months as well. Defense? Did he really get that much better defensively in the past few weeks?

Yeah lets throw a bone to the 5 % of the fanbase that is both still watching and has heard of Jones before. He's barely a prospect. If it was a top 5 or even top 10 guy Id give it a passing thought of consideration
  • BobPhelan likes this

#84 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:04 AM

Franco apparently had a $200,000 incentive in his contract for 400 plate appearances or at bats, I'm not sure which.  He had just crossed over 400 plate appearances, and was just short of 400 at bats, so it could be that the O's were either waiting until he qualified for the bonus, or wanted to release him right before he qualified.

• makoman likes this

#85 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,746 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:09 AM

Franco apparently had a $200,000 incentive in his contract for 400 plate appearances or at bats, I'm not sure which. He had just crossed over 400 plate appearances, and was just short of 400 at bats, so it could be that the O's were either waiting until he qualified for the bonus, or wanted to release him right before he qualified.

What kind of odds would I have to give to get people to take the former.

#86 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:28 AM

Cot's says it was PAs, and my impression is these things are almost always PAs, but who knows?

• Nigel Tufnel likes this

#87 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:35 AM

Cot's says it was PAs, and my impression is these things are almost always PAs, but who knows?

Thanks.  So that actually might be the answer to dude's rhetorical question - the O's wanted Franco to qualify for his bonus before they released him.

#88 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:40 AM

Thanks.  So that actually might be the answer to dude's rhetorical question - the O's wanted Franco to qualify for his bonus before they released him.

Yeah, who knows if it played a part in their thought process. Maybe they did him a solid, maybe they screwed him over a little, but Franco was a negative WAR player this year with a 66 OPS+. He certainly couldn't complain about being DFAd at any time. 

FWIW, the Yankees DFAd Brian Roberts at 348 PAs in 2014, 2 away from a $250k bonus. This happens.

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 07:51 AM

#90 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 March 2022 - 08:02 AM

I think it is a good thing, that he got sent back.  He was the first call up of the new regime and he looked totally overmatched, not only at the plate but also at second base.

@mikeghg

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 16 April 2022 - 10:29 AM

5 xbh's in 30 ab's. Also 8 walks.

#92 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2022 - 02:44 PM

Tommy John surgery for Jones.   Another  40 man spot opens up.

@mikeghg

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 02:45 PM

Was not expecting that to be the news in this bump.

#94 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 May 2022 - 02:53 PM

Was not expecting that to be the news in this bump.

I think we are seeing signs everyday that players were not ready to play so soon after the lockout.  I also think some players shut down during the lockout.  Who knows if Jones was one of either category.

We were excited to bring him up last year, but things have gone wrong for him.  Tough break.

@mikeghg

#95 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 11:45 AM

DFA

#96 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,673 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 May 2022 - 02:59 PM

DFA

Understandable, but we also have to think back to last summer and his performance and the demand that he get time.  There was a lot of optimism surrounding him, the trade to get him, etc.  Now he's DFA. 

My only point is these things are assessed over YEARS.

#97 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,746 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:13 PM

Understandable, but we also have to think back to last summer and his performance and the demand that he get time. There was a lot of optimism surrounding him, the trade to get him, etc. Now he's DFA.

My only point is these things are assessed over YEARS.

Nobody had any real expectations of Jones
  • Mackus likes this

#98 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:29 PM

Nobody had any real expectations of Jones

Reasonable people at least. People elsewhere (twitter I guess) seemed to think he was a Mountcastle type prospect or something.

#99 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,548 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:06 PM

Also, nobody is going to claim him a day after going under the knife so he’ll stay in the organization.

#100 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 May 2022 - 07:38 PM

Also, nobody is going to claim him a day after going under the knife so he’ll stay in the organization.

I don’t think it is a big deal either way, but it is curious why DFA, when they could have put him on the 60 day DL and created a roster spot.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=