117 replies to this topic

#101 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 08:05 PM

I don’t think it is a big deal either way, but it is curious why DFA, when they could have put him on the 60 day DL and created a roster spot.

Yeah I dont think they care if he gets claimed. Either way they open a spot on the 40 man and the chances he gets back on here is extremely slim

#102 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 May 2022 - 08:16 PM

I don’t think it is a big deal either way, but it is curious why DFA, when they could have put him on the 60 day DL and created a roster spot.

Because they were going to have to over the offseason anyway with the guys that need to be added and better chance he is claimed then versus now.

Also he would have to be on the major league roster to go on the 60 day IL so they would’ve had to send someone down for a couple weeks and bring someone else up after the move was official.
  • Mike B likes this

#103 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 May 2022 - 12:41 PM

Because they were going to have to over the offseason anyway with the guys that need to be added and better chance he is claimed then versus now.

Also he would have to be on the major league roster to go on the 60 day IL so they would’ve had to send someone down for a couple weeks and bring someone else up after the move was official.

Thanks Bob.  I did not realize you had to be on the ML roster to go on the 60 day IL.  

I think by the time Jones gets back he will be too far behind the next wave of young infielders to catch up.  At least I hope so.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#104 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 02:30 PM

Jahmai Jones has also been placed on unconditional release waivers, the team said. He's currently recovering from Tommy John.

#105 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 02:48 PM

The Orioles gave the Angels a year of Alex Cobb and $10 million for 72 plate appearances from Jahmai Jones.

#106 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,565 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 02:55 PM

Chalk that deal up as a L.

#107 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 02:57 PM

Not really an L. Cobb is a solid SP when healthy but he meant nothing to the Os for the '21 season. Cut some salary and take a flyer on a former Top 100 guy. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#108 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 03:06 PM

BTW the drama some caused over this guy last year is an example of why some Os fans are programmed to be overly critical. Not being up here had nothing to do with S2 or service time. WHen he was finally called up it had nothing to do with throwing 5% of the fanbase a bone . The team had real concerns the guy was a ML caliber player both offensively and defensively. Or maybe he has other  clubhouseissues too that we dont know about. Ether way, the Os not only chose to DFA him but they outright released him. 

#109 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 June 2022 - 03:50 PM

Not really an L. Cobb is a solid SP when healthy but he meant nothing to the Os for the '21 season. Cut some salary and take a flyer on a former Top 100 guy. 

No, it certainly borders on a L, but it is not the end of the world.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@mikeghg

#110 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 June 2022 - 03:51 PM

BTW the drama some caused over this guy last year is an example of why some Os fans are programmed to be overly critical. Not being up here had nothing to do with S2 or service time. WHen he was finally called up it had nothing to do with throwing 5% of the fanbase a bone . The team had real concerns the guy was a ML caliber player both offensively and defensively. Or maybe he has other  clubhouseissues too that we dont know about. Ether way, the Os not only chose to DFA him but they outright released him. 

I just think, that they feel that by the time he is ready to play again, there will not be room.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#111 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,565 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 05:03 PM

I'd agree if we hadn't also thrown 10 million their way.....

#112 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2022 - 06:09 PM

That’s what it cost to unload that contract and still get a flier in return.

#113 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,565 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 06:47 PM

That’s what it cost to unload that contract and still get a flier in return.

Would have rather kept Cobb than watch Harvey or whatever below replacement level pitcher we had start games last year than a prospect who never had a chance anyways.

#114 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 07:03 PM

Easy to say he had no chance now in hindsight

#115 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:14 PM

I had forgotten that we gave them 10 M.  Yea, that trade is a loss.

@mikeghg

#116 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,565 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:14 PM

Easy to say he had no chance now in hindsight

The track record leading up to his acquisition wasn't very impressive...

#117 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:29 PM

Cobb was a toxic asset. Had to send a ton of money just to get someone to take him for nothing.

I would've guessed closer to $7M, so maybe they liked Jones enough to buy him for a couple million. But also that guess just could've been light.

It certainly wasn't $10M for Jones. It was paying $10M so they didn't have to pay $14M elsewise.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#118 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,565 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:32 PM

Cobb was a toxic asset. Had to send a ton of money just to get someone to take him for nothing.

I would've guessed closer to $7M, so maybe they liked Jones enough to buy him for a couple million. But also that guess just could've been light.

It certainly wasn't $10M for Jones. It was paying $10M so they didn't have to pay $14M elsewise.

Don't you always complain about them being so cheap? I'd take Cobb for $14 million over whatever they wasted on Harvey or whoever else started games in 2021.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=