117 replies to this topic

#61 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 02:20 PM

Considering the pitching staff the Orioles are touting out on a nightly basis, I highly doubt they'd be too concerned with waiting for Jones to become a GG caliber 2B.

#62 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:19 PM

I'd guess his defense will be improved enough right around the 1st of September.  <<shocker>>

#63 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:31 AM

I'd guess his defense will be improved enough right around the 1st of September.  <<shocker>>

Or next May.

@mikeghg

#64 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:22 AM

Or next May.

Jones already has major league service time so I don’t think that’s the reason.

#65 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:33 AM

I thought they might be waiting for the super 2 date (which I wouldn't agree with doing, but whatever), but even with his 14 days of service time we should have been well past that for some time now. 

• Mackus likes this

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:35 AM

Jones already has major league service time so I don’t think that’s the reason.

14 days. Considering the 20 day rule, it wouldn't take any extra time (compared to if he had zero service) to manipulate him down to not completing next year with a full year of service. Possibly even short of Super 2 if you push to May or June.

I'm not on favor of either with him. Get him up here. They can teach him 2B up here as easily as at Norfolk.

#67 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:24 AM

14 days. Considering the 20 day rule, it wouldn't take any extra time (compared to if he had zero service) to manipulate him down to not completing next year with a full year of service. Possibly even short of Super 2 if you push to May or June.

I'm not on favor of either with him. Get him up here. They can teach him 2B up here as easily as at Norfolk.

Agreed, he should be up. And I think he will be in the next few weeks.

#68 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:56 AM

I honestly believe its just the defense with him.

#69 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

Where would he play?  Galvis will be back soon, and you have to assume that Urias will play 2B full time at that point.

#70 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:27 AM

Where would he play?  Galvis will be back soon, and you have to assume that Urias will play 2B full time at that point.

Urias is having a real nice stretch and good for him, however his long term role, if he has one, is more likely as a utility guy.

@mikeghg

#71 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:49 AM

I wouldn't feel obligated to continue to play Urias.  Jones plays 2B.  Urias to the bench.  Valaika sent out.

Also possible that Galvis is traded, in which case Urias can continue to get regular time at SS.  Urias also could take over 3B.  I'd definitely prioritize an extended look at Jones over Urias.

• Mike B likes this

#72 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:03 AM

I wouldn't feel obligated to continue to play Urias.  Jones plays 2B.  Urias to the bench.  Valaika sent out.

Also possible that Galvis is traded, in which case Urias can continue to get regular time at SS.  Urias also could take over 3B.  I'd definitely prioritize an extended look at Jones over Urias.

Don't forget Domingo Leyba.  The good part, about having a team as bad as the Orioles, is that there are plenty of roster options, when you want to promote a young, talented player

@mikeghg

#73 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:31 AM

I dunno.  It's not a video game - these are real people.  I don't see how you can bench a guy who's been raking for an unproven guy who can't even play the position competently.  The rest of the team is going to notice.  If you really want Jones in the lineup, I agree that the move is probably to get rid of Galvis (or maybe Urias goes 1 for his next 37 and makes the decision easier).

#74 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:05 PM

Promoted!

she/her

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:11 PM

Nice of them to wait until he's absolutely ice cold!  Hopefully the excitement snaps him out of his funk.  Warmed up a little bit over the last few games after an absolutely dreadful start to August.  So that's good.  Hope he can take over the job.

#76 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:21 PM

Cool. I guess. Hes def slowed down of late

#77 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:46 PM

I kind of expected Bannon.  I am a fan of promoting the hot player.  That said, glad to see Jones.

@mikeghg

#78 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 August 2021 - 10:42 PM

Promoted!

I think this is funny...I mean...why now? Why not 4 weeks ago. Why not wait until next week?

Fan distraction.

#79 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 12:38 AM

I think this is funny...I mean...why now? Why not 4 weeks ago. Why not wait until next week?

Fan distraction.

To steal from Ricker. What are you on about?

#80 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 07:10 AM

To steal from Ricker. What are you on about?

I think he's saying Jones' promotion is to throw the fans a bone about having another young player to watch when frustration seems to be reaching an apex.  

Because otherwise...why not sooner?  He's been ice cold lately (unless you look at only the 4-5 games immediately preceding the promotion), so it's not like he just forced their hand.  He had MLB experience already before the season began, so it's not likely that he just couldn't handle the stress of a promotion 2 months ago.  I don't think he's a guy you worry about potential Super-2 status with, but we've been beyond the time when you'd worry about him being a Super-2 for about 2 months as well.  Defense?  Did he really get that much better defensively in the past few weeks?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=