#81 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:19 PM

Can we run the flea flicker from the Browns game on the first play again? Or an end-around to Duvernay?

Seems like the Ravens have run the most predictable, least effective trick plays for years now.

A play with Lamar lined up at WR and Huntley at QB would be worth a shot 

(Roll Tide would love it too)

she/her

#82 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

Alright guys, if you want a play by play breakdown on Twitter of me breaking down the run game, check it out here: https://twitter.com/...837235986681857

I missed like 3 runs (I didn't include the Hines direct sanp) but there were others apparently, lol. But There are some big holes and some obvious places the Ravens can attack this week. I'm feeling good about this week for JK and Lamar. 

#83 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:06 PM

But don't you think their DC is thinking the same thing?  That Roman has studied the Colt game thoroughly and will try to mimic what they did.  He'd be pretty stupid not to cover that base.  I say just do what you do best, stick to it, don't panic if you fall behind and everything will take care of itself.  Barring turnovers and excessive penalties of course. 

Deep shot for me doesn't mean 9 route, I guess. 

It just means a route that gets at least 15 yards up the field, ideally prefer it breaks in than out. Is a play action play. And is a look targeted at a one on one, that's not Tredavious White. If the conditions aren't there for that check out of it. 

But if the Bills are preparing for Ravens deep threats more than their run game, that's a huge advantage to the Ravens. And based on what they did against the Colts, they were looking to stuff a run on the first play. Hard stop. (And they did). 

#84 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

Deep shot for me doesn't mean 9 route, I guess. 

It just means a route that gets at least 15 yards up the field, ideally prefer it breaks in than out. Is a play action play. And is a look targeted at a one on one, that's not Tredavious White. If the conditions aren't there for that check out of it. 

But if the Bills are preparing for Ravens deep threats more than their run game, that's a huge advantage to the Ravens. And based on what they did against the Colts, they were looking to stuff a run on the first play. Hard stop. (And they did). 

I would love nothing more and so would the Ravens but it would border on insanity for the Bills to approach the game plan like that. Sure, you should always be careful to cover every possible strategy but there's no mystery to what the Ravens want to do.  Unless they were to fall behind quickly by three touchdowns or something crazy like in the Browns/Steelers game, Buffalo can expect a heavy dose of runs and it will not abate until the final whistle. Oh, they'll mix in some passes to keep the Bills honest but they know what's in store for them.  It's just a matter of whether they can stop it or not.  In all likelihood, they won't.  Weather permitting, I think this might be the high scoring affair everyone thought the Titans game was going to be. 

#85 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:14 PM

I would love nothing more and so would the Ravens but it would border on insanity for the Bills to approach the game plan like that. Sure, you should always be careful to cover every possible strategy but there's no mystery to what the Ravens want to do. Unless they were to fall behind quickly by three touchdowns or something crazy like in the Browns/Steelers game, Buffalo can expect a heavy dose of runs and it will not abate until the final whistle. Oh, they'll mix in some passes to keep the Bills honest but they know what's in store for them. It's just a matter of whether they can stop it or not. In all likelihood, they won't. Weather permitting, I think this might be the high scoring affair everyone thought the Titans game was going to be.

I think its a little arrogant to believe they can't stop our running game. Buffalo is 100% going to stack the box. And they're going to aim to make Lamar pass the ball. The things they have that Tennessee didn’t, are Jordan Poyer and Edmunds. Both have great speed for their positions. And I really think Ravens fans are underestimating Edmunds ability to go sideline to sideline. Lamar is going to be the best athlete on the field again. But Edmunds has the athletic ability to run sideline to sideline with him.

If the Ravens are going to win, they're going to have to be able to take advantage of a stacked box. If Lamar can hit outside the numbers again, and Brown and Andrews can consistently win one on ones, I think the Ravens should be able to move the ball and score pretty easily.

But I think its a little naive to think we're just going to go into Buffalo and roll out with 200+ rushing yards. How we attacked Henry, is exactly what they're going to aim to do to our running game. No one though Henry could be stifled for a whole game prior to last week. And Tennessee paid for their arrogance in thinking Henry would just eventually take over again. Ravens cannot fall into that same trap.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#86 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:34 PM

Buffalo held Jackson to 40 yards rushing last year.  Except for the first game in Miami, where there was little need to run, that was his lowest total of the season.  His average was 3.6 yds per carry and his longest run was 16 yards.  I'm sure whatever they did that day, they will try to duplicate Saturday night.  

#87 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,094 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

Cant believe we are less than 48 hours now

#88 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:04 PM

I think its a little arrogant to believe they can't stop our running game. Buffalo is 100% going to stack the box. And they're going to aim to make Lamar pass the ball. The things they have that Tennessee didn’t, are Jordan Poyer and Edmunds. Both have great speed for their positions. And I really think Ravens fans are underestimating Edmunds ability to go sideline to sideline. Lamar is going to be the best athlete on the field again. But Edmunds has the athletic ability to run sideline to sideline with him.

If the Ravens are going to win, they're going to have to be able to take advantage of a stacked box. If Lamar can hit outside the numbers again, and Brown and Andrews can consistently win one on ones, I think the Ravens should be able to move the ball and score pretty easily.

But I think its a little naive to think we're just going to go into Buffalo and roll out with 200+ rushing yards. How we attacked Henry, is exactly what they're going to aim to do to our running game. No one though Henry could be stifled for a whole game prior to last week. And Tennessee paid for their arrogance in thinking Henry would just eventually take over again. Ravens cannot fall into that same trap.

Solid post but I really do have some arrogance when it come to the Ravens ground attack.  We shall see soon. 

#89 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:23 PM

Amazing how time flies when you're much less stressed for this than the prior week's game

she/her

#90 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:23 PM

Cant believe we're still two days away :)

#91 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

4 of these 5 runs are against a stacked box. 

https://twitter.com/...497151789916161

Murray and Drake ripped Buffalo in this game in the process. I think there is a little room for arrogance. 

That being said, I'm still throwing 15+ yards down the field on the first play, I want it in Buffalo's head. 

#92 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:29 AM

As they should, if they limit the running game to under 150 yards we probably have no shot at winnng.

Roll Tide

#93 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:02 AM

4 of these 5 runs are against a stacked box.

https://twitter.com/...497151789916161

Murray and Drake ripped Buffalo in this game in the process. I think there is a little room for arrogance.

That being said, I'm still throwing 15+ yards down the field on the first play, I want it in Buffalo's head.

For the record, I'm not saying we can't. I'm saying Buffalo has some players on defense. And their sole focus is to take away the run. To think a team with some decent players can't design a defensive front for a one-off playoff game, is a bit arrogant. Ravens have to be prepared to adjust again to take what they're giving. Just like last week when we started hitting the quick flat pass and that hitch route to Brown where he picked up some big yards.

I'm reminded of the Colts one year when they came in with a very average to below average defense. And in the playoffs they killed everyone on that side of the ball. Bob Sanders played out of his mind, Marlin Jackson turned into Dieon Sanders, and Dwight Freeney and Mathis played like Reggie White and Bruce Smith. If I remember right, they had one of the worst run defenses in the league that year. But in the playoffs, everyone tried to run on them and couldn't.

#94 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:25 AM

For the record, I'm not saying we can't. I'm saying Buffalo has some players on defense. And their sole focus is to take away the run. To think a team with some decent players can't design a defensive front for a one-off playoff game, is a bit arrogant. Ravens have to be prepared to adjust again to take what they're giving. Just like last week when we started hitting the quick flat pass and that hitch route to Brown where he picked up some big yards.

I'm reminded of the Colts one year when they came in with a very average to below average defense. And in the playoffs they killed everyone on that side of the ball. Bob Sanders played out of his mind, Marlin Jackson turned into Dieon Sanders, and Dwight Freeney and Mathis played like Reggie White and Bruce Smith. If I remember right, they had one of the worst run defenses in the league that year. But in the playoffs, everyone tried to run on them and couldn't.

I heard a TV analyst say that Buffalo is small up the middle. It seems like a good opportunity for Edwards to play a key role. Especially if we have a lead.

Roll Tide

#95 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:34 AM

Your not wrong. But the Ravens showed the ability to adjust last week. They didn’t get much going on the ground except the long TD run, and they came out at halftime in a west coast style of offense. They threw swing passes to Ricard three times on the drive. The backwards pass to Brown to get him a head of steam on the edge. Short passes the Andrews. Some of that opened up the actual run game again.
@BSLMikeRandall

#96 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:45 AM

Your not wrong. But the Ravens showed the ability to adjust last week. They didn’t get much going on the ground except the long TD run, and they came out at halftime in a west coast style of offense. They threw swing passes to Ricard three times on the drive. The backwards pass to Brown to get him a head of steam on the edge. Short passes the Andrews. Some of that opened up the actual run game again.

Are you talking about the backwards pass near the end zone? Even though it worked it was a terrible play call by Roman and could’ve been disastrous.

Roll Tide

#97 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:25 AM

Are you talking about the backwards pass near the end zone? Even though it worked it was a terrible play call by Roman and could’ve been disastrous.

Yeah, that play in that location was just atrocious.

#98 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:28 AM

My point exactly. People just assume we'll just run right through them. Roman has to be ready to adjust. Throw on first down, Spread the field and not let them condense the middle.

Be prepared for AJ Klien as well. He is their unsung hero. Guy just gets to the QB whenever he's on the field. If I'm Buffalo, I'm not blitzing either. I'm running inverted cover 2's, and I'm flooding the middle of the field. And I'm spying Jackson vs. blitzing him.

#99 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:09 AM

My point exactly. People just assume we'll just run right through them. Roman has to be ready to adjust. Throw on first down, Spread the field and not let them condense the middle.

Be prepared for AJ Klien as well. He is their unsung hero. Guy just gets to the QB whenever he's on the field. If I'm Buffalo, I'm not blitzing either. I'm running inverted cover 2's, and I'm flooding the middle of the field. And I'm spying Jackson vs. blitzing him.

I hear what you're saying and obviously, Buffalo is going to do everything they can to stop us. However, even in a game where we "struggled" last week in Tennessee, we had over 400 yards of total offense and over 200 yards on the ground. If we don't try to get too cute, we'll be effective.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#100 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:57 AM

Watched the Bills / Colts game myself too. To my eyes, the Bills did not do a great job of tackling from start to finish last week. If Lamar, JK, and Gus encounter the same, I can see some big chunks gained that the IND backs didn't get (e.g. 15 extra instead of 3 or 4 extra). Colts left at least 7 points on the field, with the 4th and goal incomplete, Taylor dropping an open check down that would've given IND a first down in FG range, and the two point conversion fail.

We know Wink is going to blitz a lot, and Allen handles the blitz well, so hopefully he leaves two deep and send LBs instead of DBs. Limit the damage when the blitz doesn't get home fast enough.

Win or split on the turnover battle, I kind of like the matchups better overall for BAL. Put the ball on the ground or let an INT or two slip thru their hands, and all bets are off. And don't let points slip away. I thought the Ravens mismanaged the last 50 seconds of the first half last week really badly. Got away with it in the end, but that can be a difference maker any day...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=