818 replies to this topic

#801 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

Nothing is written in pen when you're 23.

They had Elway written in pen too for a while.

Anyone saying they want to give up on a 23 year old who's already won a unanimous MVP and made the playoffs every year, is extremely misinformed.

He needs to improve for sure. He needs to evolve as a passer, just like Allen did this season. If you think it's impossible for a player with Lamar's work ethic to improve, you're just flat dumb.

#802 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,366 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

I don't even think he needs to improve in the sense of gaining new skills. He threw the ball great most of last season. Took a step backwards this season, but we know the skills are there. Whether it's drilling for mehanics or whatever, I'm confident he can regain the high consistency of both the throws and the decision-making he's displayed in the past.

#803 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:37 AM

Anyone saying they want to give up on a 23 year old who's already won a unanimous MVP and made the playoffs every year, is extremely misinformed.

He needs to improve for sure. He needs to evolve as a passer, just like Allen did this season. If you think it's impossible for a player with Lamar's work ethic to improve, you're just flat dumb.

Apparently you're allowed to call him dumb no less than 5 times without anyone jumping down your throat but question his toughness when hes cramping and you invite the wrath of the world.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#804 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

I don't even think he needs to improve in the sense of gaining new skills. He threw the ball great most of last season. Took a step backwards this season, but we know the skills are there. Whether it's drilling for mehanics or whatever, I'm confident he can regain the high consistency of both the throws and the decision-making he's displayed in the past.

I dont disagree. I think Roman needs to evolve as much as Jackson. And DeCosta 100% needs to give Lamar some big time playmakers. As much as I love Andrews, hes not a difference maker. Brown is really good as your 2nd or 3rd option, but he's not a #1. Lamar needs his Anquan Boldin. That WR that shows up in the big moments. Whether its a vet who becomes available like Julio or AJ Green. Or a younger vet like Allen Robinson. We need to add a WR who can get open consistently underneath, and can win even when he's not actually open.

We also need a redo at RG and C. We have possibly the best bookends in the NFL. And I'm ok with Bozeman. Hes solid at worst. But C and RG have been a revolving door all season. Outside of those, I feel like the offense is on the cusp. Defensively, I really feel like its close to a superbowl caliber defense as well. We need to improve across the board at LB. Can't give up on Queen after one year. But he needs to bulk up and improve a lot. And Bowser and Ferguson were serviceable. We definitely need to try and find a pass rusher on the edge. Maybe an upgrade at FS. Its really hard to complain about the defense when they held Buffalo to 10 points. And Tennessee to 13.

#805 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

Everyone is crediting Allen for transforming himself, but don't overlook what it meant to him to have Diggs to throw to.

Lamar has nobody remotely close to a Diggs.
  • Mike in STL, Dupin, russsnyder and 1 other like this

#806 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,366 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:55 AM

I want Golladay. Would pay our 1st rounder if that's what it takes to get him.

I don't know anything about his blocking though. I'm assuming he's fine. Boykin isn't much of a receiving threat but he is an excellent blocker.

#807 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:08 PM

I want Golladay. Would pay our 1st rounder if that's what it takes to get him.

I don't know anything about his blocking though. I'm assuming he's fine. Boykin isn't much of a receiving threat but he is an excellent blocker.

Yup. My number 1 offseason target. I would also at least kick the tires on Michael Gallup.

#808 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:43 PM

Everyone is crediting Allen for transforming himself, but don't overlook what it meant to him to have Diggs to throw to.

Absolutely. Diggs gets open. Diggs makes tough catches. Diggs does something after he catches it. He's a true #1 WR. We don't have that. We don't have anything close to a big time WR.

I would love Golladay. Or Allen Robinson. Another young guy I think becomes available that I would love is Juju.

We HAVE to do something on the outside. Boykin/Bryant/Snead ain't it.

#809 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:53 PM

Man that sucked.

Wind was obviously a much bigger factor than I thought it'd be and effected way more than just passing. I'll place blame for the loss in order as O-Line, wind, and Lamar's pick 6 that ended the game. Shame to waste a great defensive effort, but I guess our defense benefitted from the wind just as the Bills defense did.

Don't think this loss revealed any truths we didn't already know. Just work on fixing the flaws and get better next year. I'd focus on interior OL as priority #1. Have to find a center who can snap the ball. I'd be intent on replacing Skura and Mekari.

Overall a very disappointing year. Getting a playoff win was nice, but still died in the divisional round and went backwards in terms of performance. Lots of areas to improve.

The Oline was horrific. However, I think the Bill's defense needs to be given more credit. They stacked the box and dared Jackson to beat them with the pass after they were shredded by the run on the first drive. They put a lot of pressure on Lamar despite not blitzing too much. I was impressed with their front seven. They were athletic enough to keep Lamar from really breaking some big plays.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#810 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:56 PM

Great post.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#811 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

I'd absolutely acquire more WR talent via trade or FA than in the draft. Another year, another year where the Ravens fail to develop a rookie(s) WR(s). I'm talking mainly Duvernay, but Proche too. They don't even try to develop these guys.

#812 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:41 PM

The Oline was horrific. However, I think the Bill's defense needs to be given more credit. They stacked the box and dared Jackson to beat them with the pass after they were shredded by the run on the first drive. They put a lot of pressure on Lamar despite not blitzing too much. I was impressed with their front seven. They were athletic enough to keep Lamar from really breaking some big plays.

With the wind, that was a great idea.  Lamar, Allen and Huntley all saw passes sail from them due to the wind. 

I'm kinda shocked with what happened on the first drive. Like...they ran with no trouble, and then, with that wind, decided to pass on first down? Huh?

#813 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

With the wind, that was a great idea. Lamar, Allen and Huntley all saw passes sail from them due to the wind.

I'm kinda shocked with what happened on the first drive. Like...they ran with no trouble, and then, with that wind, decided to pass on first down? Huh?

What annoyed me was they hit big on 3 or 4 counters. Then I dont remember seeing another counter run called the rest of the game. Roman is frustrating to watch. He'll string together a quarter of great plays. Then he'll go Matt Cavanaugh for a quarter.

#814 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:28 PM

Bills fans made 7,000 individual contributions for over $150,000 to Lamar's charity in the hours since the loss last night. https://www.espn.com...altimore-ravens

• kudzu likes this

#815 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

That’s great. Go Bills!
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#816 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

Bills fans made 7,000 individual contributions for over $150,000 to Lamar's charity in the hours since the loss last night. https://www.espn.com...altimore-ravens

Saw that earlier. Definitely rooting for the Bills after that. After the game Lamar was spotted signing autographs for Ravens and Bills fans while on his way to the team plane.

He got hurt. He lost. And he still took time to talk to, and make the night of a bunch of fans. Hes a good kid with a great head on his shoulders. A true team leader. With a huge work ethic, and a hunger to constantly get better....

We should just draft another QB. 🙄🤭
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#817 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:04 PM

I'd absolutely acquire more WR talent via trade or FA than in the draft. Another year, another year where the Ravens fail to develop a rookie(s) WR(s). I'm talking mainly Duvernay, but Proche too. They don't even try to develop these guys.

How many targets did Duvernay have after the deep ball int thrown to him during the first Titans game? Feel like that scared them off using him as a deep threat

she/her

#818 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:09 PM

How many targets did Duvernay have after the deep ball int thrown to him during the first Titans game? Feel like that scared them off using him as a deep threat

You've gotta allow space for errors when developing talent. They are extremely risk adverse on the offensive side. While letting Queen just completely fail repeatedly throughout the year. Which I didn't have a problem with. They need to force the issue more and do a significantly, exponentially better job developing WR's.

#819 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:58 PM

Duvernay and Brown should get the ball more often quickly, in my opinion. Sweeps, screens, quick outs, etc. Exploit their speed with higher percentage short stuff (which are handoffs or very much like handoffs).
  • Mike B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=