723 replies to this topic

#461 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 09:27 AM

Patiently waiting for Adley to do something.

Not worried but this isn't a good stat. At this point he has more errors (2) than rbis (0)!!!!

Ah yes, errors and RBI.  The two most important stats in baseball.

#462 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 09:30 AM

Only if its GWRBI, for clutchiness. 

#463 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 June 2022 - 11:12 AM

Actually they are pretty important stats

#464 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,093 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 11:13 AM

Not really.

But having more errors than RBI for any reasonable time would certainly be concerning. Probably disqualifying for at least one of the glove or bat.

#465 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 June 2022 - 11:14 AM

Not really.

But having more errors than for any reasonable time RBI would certainly be concerning. Probably disqualifying for at least one of the glove or bat.

So you are saying errors for a catcher are not an important stat. Ok then.

#466 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,093 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 11:16 AM

So you are saying errors for a catcher are not an important stat. Ok then.

Not an important stat, no. Not for any defender.

30 years ago when there were no better stats to look at, they were the best indicator we had for defense (as a function of chances). But now they simply aren't.

#467 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 June 2022 - 11:19 AM

Ok we'll just disagree a bit.

#468 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 11:46 AM

Let’s say Mateo has 5 more errors than any other SS but gets to 20 balls that no other SS gets to. What if 11 of his errors are on those 20 balls?

Catcher is a lot harder to judge I admit. Framing might be anything from marginally important to the most important thing, I think people don’t know yet. Adley is supposed to be good at that I think, we’ll see.

Maybe they tell us a little at the margins, but RBIs mostly tell us how good your teammates are at getting on base.
  • BobPhelan and Mashed Potatoes like this

#469 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,969 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2022 - 12:01 PM

Despite the results, I think he looks really good at the plate. He sees a lot of pitches and he has that controlled, violent stroke.

If you’re looking at the box score it could be a concerning start. If you’re watching the games, it’s not.

#470 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,922 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 June 2022 - 12:03 PM

Concerning is wrong word. I’m not even remotely concerned. I’m a tad disappointed though to be honest. But I’m just being greedy. When you look at some of the peripherals, there’s little to no reason to worry. He has a lower % of soft contact than Trey Mancini and Ryan Mountcastle for example. BABIP is very low, particularly for him. Of course, incredibly SSS here. No reason to be worried though.

Didn’t he have an adjustment period at some of the minor league levels too?
  • BSLSteveBirrer and russsnyder like this

#471 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 June 2022 - 12:03 PM

I get there are lots more to errors that pure numbers. Range for a ss is a great example. Still 2 errors at this point isn't a good thing.

Yes rbis indicate how well your teammates are getting on base. But in general you don't get many rbis if you don't get hits.

I understand all your points. I merely tried to point out its not the best way to start out.

• russsnyder likes this

#472 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 12:18 PM

I didn't see his error last night, but I saw tweets saying that it was Owings's fault.

#473 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 June 2022 - 01:35 PM

I didn't see his error last night, but I saw tweets saying that it was Owings's fault.

No, he left it short.  Owings could have helped but IMO, it was Adley.

My issue with all the tag plays  is the Orioles are always in front of the bag.  I really thought the way Buck had the middle infielders straddling the bag and then dropping the tag was better than fronting and swiping the tag.

• 1970 likes this
@mikeghg

#474 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 06:38 AM

I get there are lots more to errors that pure numbers. Range for a ss is a great example. Still 2 errors at this point isn't a good thing.

Yes rbis indicate how well your teammates are getting on base. But in general you don't get many rbis if you don't get hits.

I understand all your points. I merely tried to point out its not the best way to start out.

I'm with you on these points.

An error is an important stat.

It's pretty straightforward.

While I understand that RBI's are dependent on other players, they also speak to a players production.

No one can tell me that Eddie Murray didn't bear down at the plate in an RBI situation.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#475 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,093 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:08 AM

No one can tell me that Eddie Murray didn't bear down at the plate in an RBI situation.

Nobody is trying to tell you that.

They are telling you that there are far better stats for accurately describing Eddie Murray's greatness than his RBI total. Haven't looked, but I imagine there were many times where some much lesser player had more RBI that Eddie in a given season or month. Don't sell him short.

#476 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 10:35 AM

Nobody is trying to tell you that.

They are telling you that there are far better stats for accurately describing Eddie Murray's greatness than his RBI total. Haven't looked, but I imagine there were many times where some much lesser player had more RBI that Eddie in a given season or month. Don't sell him short.

I'm not selling anyone short.

I believe the RBI stat helps measure a hitter's production over a season. Period.

#477 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 11:12 AM

Concerning is wrong word. I’m not even remotely concerned. I’m a tad disappointed though to be honest. But I’m just being greedy. When you look at some of the peripherals, there’s little to no reason to worry. He has a lower % of soft contact than Trey Mancini and Ryan Mountcastle for example. BABIP is very low, particularly for him. Of course, incredibly SSS here. No reason to be worried though.

Didn’t he have an adjustment period at some of the minor league levels too?

I was hoping that Rutschman would have have hit the ground running at the plate. I'm a bit disappointed as well. I'm not worried at this point. Some other top rookies have struggled initially as well (Bobby Witt Jr) . So I am not surprised.

IIRC, Rutschman struggled some at Aberdeen.

#478 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 June 2022 - 01:32 PM

He will be fine. He’s had some really hard hit balls. I’m not an advanced stats guy but I’d guess he’s on the unluckier side of the fence right now?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#479 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:04 PM

He will be fine. He’s had some really hard hit balls. I’m not an advanced stats guy but I’d guess he’s on the unluckier side of the fence right now?

His BABIP is a whopping .212 so don't think he's just getting unlucky.

#480 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:29 PM

His BABIP is a whopping .212 so don't think he's just getting unlucky.

League average is .287 and around .300 is normally average I think, so it does indicate he is unlucky. Especially since his line drive rate is above average.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=