#61 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:48 AM

You can see that he wears everything. Which I love that he cares so much. But yeah, we will see next year. 

Yep, I love that too. He cares. Wonder how he felt about the deadline and all the that stuff - don't want to rehash it, but just curious if that took a toll at all. I am rooting for Hyde to be the answer here with a winning team. Poor guy has to go on a hell of a run these next several years just to get his managerial career to a .500 record though, pretty brutal what he's had to endure here. I hope it works out for him.

#62 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 September 2022 - 09:00 AM

Really mixed on him as our manager. Certainly he gets a ton of kudos for taking this team from a 70 win (or less) projected team to one still in the playoff hunt in mid September and certainly a team that is going to finish over .500.

But the decisions he has made the last couple of weeks have simply been mind boggling and hard to fathom for a team fighting for a playoff spot. Weird as hell.

#63 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 September 2022 - 01:31 PM

Really mixed on him as our manager. Certainly he gets a ton of kudos for taking this team from a 70 win (or less) projected team to one still in the playoff hunt in mid September and certainly a team that is going to finish over .500.

But the decisions he has made the last couple of weeks have simply been mind boggling and hard to fathom for a team fighting for a playoff spot. Weird as hell.

I think over the course of every season a manager is going to make strange decisions and Hyde at times looks stressed but IMO he has done a damn good job filling the role the organization wanted him to do and I also think for the most part he has managed this season well.  He would get my vote for MOY.

@mikeghg

#64 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 September 2022 - 03:50 PM

I think over the course of every season a manager is going to make strange decisions and Hyde at times looks stressed but IMO he has done a damn good job filling the role the organization wanted him to do and I also think for the most part he has managed this season well.  He would get my vote for MOY.

Dont disagree. The MOY is based on the season's body of work and he has done a terrific job. But perhaps he has failed to look at the standings. These last two weeks he's been not good. Take a look at tonights lineup.....sheesh....

#65 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:18 PM

Dont disagree. The MOY is based on the season's body of work and he has done a terrific job. But perhaps he has failed to look at the standings. These last two weeks he's been not good. Take a look at tonights lineup.....sheesh....

Does he have total control of the lineup?

@mikeghg

#66 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:34 PM

Like I said in the game thread I think it all depends on how much control. All GMs will and should have input IMO. General instructions may be ok, but I wouldn’t like micromanaging.

For example, if Elias says “I’m bringing up Gunner, you need to find a way for him to play 6 times a week.” I’m fine with that. If he’s sending Hyde lineup cards every morning I don’t like that.

We’ll likely never know the specifics though.

#67 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 September 2022 - 09:11 PM

Given the lineups he has trotted out there I don't think he is being dictated to even a little bit.

#68 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 14 September 2022 - 09:27 PM

Given the lineups he has trotted out there I don't think he is being dictated to even a little bit.

Well, he's gotten Urias out of the cleanup spot.  Thankfully.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 08:47 AM

Balt Sun: The Orioles are nearing a record turnaround. Brandon Hyde’s players believe he should be AL Manager of the Year.

#70 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 September 2022 - 11:46 AM

Balt Sun: The Orioles are nearing a record turnaround. Brandon Hyde’s players believe he should be AL Manager of the Year.

He should get the award.  I am guessing he will not.

@mikeghg

#71 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 12:31 PM

Hes deserving. So is Servais. So is Baker. So is Schneider for that matter.

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:30 AM

I care less about in game decisions than many.    

I care more about things such as...   how effective is a guy at communicating with his players, the media, the Front Office?

Does he take blame, and not put players under a bus with the press?

Does he hold guys accountable? 

Is he a steady influence?  Does the clubhouse like and respect him?

Do players develop? 

Given how the O's had horrible rosters the last few years, obviously there wasn't a lot to evaluate with Hyde.
Just as a person, you wanted to see him get a chance to Manage a good team, and see what that looks like. 

If the team feels good about the questions above, okay. 

But even as someone who doesn't think being an in-game tactician means all that much...  I'm a little skeptical of him going forward.

#73 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 10:15 AM

Hes deserving. So is Servais. So is Baker. So is Schneider for that matter.

It was sort of a clown move to give Baker a MOY award for the Astros last year. He’s arguably the most overrated manager in the past 50 years. Servais is a possibility, but their ‘feel good story’ was last year. He deserved the award then.

Hyde should win it, but I suppose Servais may get the nod this year. 

#74 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 10:23 AM

It was sort of a clown move to give Baker a MOY award for the Astros last year. He’s arguably the most overrated manager in the past 50 years. Servais is a possibility, but their ‘feel good story’ was last year. He deserved the award then.

Cash won the BBWAA award last year. We will see. Francona in the mix. That Indians team had a worse record than us just a few weeks ago. Now they have run away with the division and are tied with Tor at 85 wins.

#75 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:30 AM

I care less about in game decisions than many.    

I care more about things such as...   how effective is a guy at communicating with his players, the media, the Front Office?

Does he take blame, and not put players under a bus with the press?

Does he hold guys accountable? 

Is he a steady influence?  Does the clubhouse like and respect him?

Do players develop? 

Given how the O's had horrible rosters the last few years, obviously there wasn't a lot to evaluate with Hyde.
Just as a person, you wanted to see him get a chance to Manage a good team, and see what that looks like. 

If the team feels good about the questions above, okay. 

But even as someone who doesn't think being an in-game tactician means all that much...  I'm a little skeptical of him going forward.

Chris, I mostly agree. I think the state of a team makes a big difference. This year I think he was perfect for the team for the things you said are important. However, I do think when a team gets on the brink of something then in game decisions become a bigger factor. Y'all know I think Buck was terrible at this. I think Hyde may be a bit better but I see some of the same types of potential mistakes. Time will tell.

#76 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:56 AM

Cash won the BBWAA award last year. We will see. Francona in the mix. That Indians team had a worse record than us just a few weeks ago. Now they have run away with the division and are tied with Tor at 85 wins.

Apologies. Baseball America crowned Dusty Baker last year. Still, stupid. Baker almost cost the Astros last night considering how long he left his SP in the game. But that's always been his M.O. 

I see what you're saying, but the ALC (and the ALW, for that matter) is primarily garbage. That team is 30-32 vs the ALW and ALE. It will not bode well for Cleveland when MLB balances out the schedule the way it'll help Baltimore. 

#77 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:23 AM

Agreed. With all the stacked teams he's managed over the decades, he still doesn't have a ring.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#78 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 October 2022 - 07:20 AM

Where we at with Hyde?  I'm glad he was here and clearly was a big part of the reason of why we improved so much and he's my pick manager for the year.   Having said that several of his lineups and in game decisions have me a bit unsure of if I want him around moving forward.

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 07:39 AM

I share your feeling of being perplexed (perplexion?) with many of his late-season managerial choices. But its an easy choice to bring him back for 2023 and see how things go.  If we again see a lot of bizarre choices that feel like they lead to more losses than wins, then I'd strongly consider a move for the following year (or possibly an in-season move but unlikely).

• DuffMan likes this

#80 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 October 2022 - 07:39 AM

I also had issues with lineups and in game decisions, but I'm not sure how much of the lineup was his call.
  • Mike B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=