135 replies to this topic

#81 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 07:48 AM

You have to bring him back next year.  I'm not sure what his contract status is, but he's at least under contract for 2023 - if that's it, they should extend him.  Let him spend the offseason back at Renovation Island, and see how things go next year.  The 2023 team should have a lot more depth, which would make the alternate lineups much better.

#82 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 October 2022 - 08:50 AM

I honestly am shocked that some want Hyde gone.  I think he managed a team for 3 years with a AAAA roster.  His team was put together to lose.  This year was supposed to be more of the same, but the Orioles improved 31 games.  I get people were disappointed with the finish, but IMO Hyde deserves to be MOY.  

@mikeghg

#83 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 10:13 AM

I honestly am shocked that some want Hyde gone.  I think he managed a team for 3 years with a AAAA roster.  His team was put together to lose.  This year was supposed to be more of the same, but the Orioles improved 31 games.  I get people were disappointed with the finish, but IMO Hyde deserves to be MOY.  

I don't know if he deserves it over Servais or Francona, but he's certainly deserving of strong consideration.

I also don't think I've seen anyone suggest they want him gone.  Do you mean elsewhere?

• Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#84 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 October 2022 - 11:26 AM

I don't know if he deserves it over Servais or Francona, but he's certainly deserving of strong consideration.

I also don't think I've seen anyone suggest they want him gone.  Do you mean elsewhere?

I have seen people saying they were done with Hyde and I have seen and heard people saying we should go after a better manager.

@mikeghg

#85 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 01:16 PM

He gets '23

#86 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 October 2022 - 01:38 PM

He gets '23

Agreed and he should and if things do not go right in 23, he probably is the one that pays the price.

@mikeghg

#87 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 01:40 PM

I think he's already shown how he would manage a team a playoff race. And I don't think we need to see that again. I think we got lucky and killed two birds with one stone this year (no pun intended).

If the team improved but wasn't in the playoff race, I give him '23. In 23' he would show what he showed already, and we'd be replacing him for 24'. 

We got lucky by seeing him mismanage a team in the race, so I replace him now. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#88 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 01:43 PM

Anybody know his contract situation?  All I've seen is that he's under contract 'beyond 2022.'

#89 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 01:44 PM

Anybody know his contract situation? All I've seen is that he's under contract 'beyond 2022.'

No, it's never been public.

#90 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 October 2022 - 02:19 PM

No, it's never been public.

It is the same with Elias.  The Orioles for some reason do not release that info.

@mikeghg

#91 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 October 2022 - 02:50 PM

It is the same with Elias.  The Orioles for some reason do not release that info.

And that's odd for the O's, historically speaking. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#92 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 02:55 PM

Hyde handled himself well during the losing years. Once the team started playing contender baseball, his decisions were more magnified. With that said, I'd like to hear the argument for replacing him this winter. I don't see an argument for it, but if anyone is passionate about that move, I'd be very curious what they're basing it on.  

#93 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 03:59 PM

According to Cot's, Hyde signed a three-year extension with the team after 2020. That would make the coming season the final year of the contract. No other terms or information is provided.

Is Hyde really going to want to go into 2023 as a lame duck manager?

#94 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 04:04 PM

According to Cot's, Hyde signed a three-year extension with the team after 2020. That would make the coming season the final year of the contract. No other terms or information is provided.

I think its possible he has already signed another extension or will soon. He deserves it and it wont be hard to get away from him if Elias wants to do that later

#95 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 07:48 AM

Given how low key and tight lipped they've been about Hyde, I would imagine they're working out an extension. Because you're right, no coach wants to work under those conditions. 

#96 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 October 2022 - 08:49 AM

Just a flyer here but perhaps Hyde is waiting to see what the O's do this offseason. Maybe he's thinking extension but only if the team ponies up some coin to bolster the team. He's not dumb. Clearly the expectation going into next year is for the team to be a playoff contender. He may think he's in a losing position with that mindset if they don't add some key pieces this winter.

Of course, a job is still a job so who knows. But it would certainly be on my mind.

#97 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 09:56 AM

Just a flyer here but perhaps Hyde is waiting to see what the O's do this offseason. Maybe he's thinking extension but only if the team ponies up some coin to bolster the team. He's not dumb. Clearly the expectation going into next year is for the team to be a playoff contender. He may think he's in a losing position with that mindset if they don't add some key pieces this winter.

Of course, a job is still a job so who knows. But it would certainly be on my mind.

No chance does Hyde walk away from the Orioles or have ultimatums for them, IMO.  Its all about whether Elias wants Hyde around once the team is supposed to win.

• BobPhelan, Mike B and DuffMan like this

#98 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 10:48 AM

Hyde named the Sporting News AL manager of the year (this is not the official MLB award).

313206930_10151956930754990_136006429462

• Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#99 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 November 2022 - 08:55 PM

Hyde loses manager of the year to Francona!? Come on

#100 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 09:03 PM

Anyone watching in September knows Hyde didn’t deserve manager of the year.

Buck wins in the NL. What a joke.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=