#41 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:43 AM

If he's good at making in-game decisions, that will help him find his next job. It seems like he has the respect of his peers and execs around the league. But he will need to show solid decision making while he's here. Win-Loss record won't even be factored in to his getting/not getting the next job he applies for. Because everyone knew he was taking on a job where he was expected to lose, and lose spectacularly.

I know these are coveted jobs. Especially for a guy whose professional career consisted of a handful of minor league seasons. But I'm still confused by his decision to take this job. Just like this conversation, he had to know he will be let go when/if things ever turn around. Given that the sport seems to respect him, patience may have been the better route. I'm sure a more desirable job would have come 'round   

I think he took the job, because it was 1 of 30.  If I recall correctly, he interviewed at a number of places, but came up short.  Team disaster offered him an opportunity.

@mikeghg

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:47 AM

I think Hyde may have underestimated how long this organization was going to tank, and just how cheap the Orioles under the Angelos family is.

@mikeghg

#43 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:57 AM

I think Hyde may have underestimated how long this organization was going to tank, and just how cheap the Orioles under the Angelos family is.

Maybe he thought things were different here, after Peter disappeared and the sons took over. Judging from their spending habits, they make dear old Dad look like a drunken sailor on shore leave

• Mike B likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#44 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 09:57 AM

I don't know, if managers hired to tank are always let go when it's time to compete then what better place than a 5 year tank job? Bo Porter got less than 2 years.

You can do a lot worse than being a major league manager for 4 years.

#45 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2022 - 10:23 AM

I don't know, if managers hired to tank are always let go when it's time to compete then what better place than a 5 year tank job? Bo Porter got less than 2 years.

You can do a lot worse than being a major league manager for 4 years.

It would be interesting to know what he's earned throughout his contract. As far as I can see, it's been totally kept out of the public's eye. Given that it's his first managerial job, and that job is with Baltimore, it probably isn't enough to retire on. So his professional decorum will be a big part of whether he's considered for another job. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#46 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 10:53 PM

Casey Stengel had a losing record before he was hired to manage the Yankees.

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 08:30 AM

Balt Sun: Under contract beyond 2022, Orioles manager Brandon Hyde to get chance to manage prospect-laden club: ‘He deserves that’

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 April 2022 - 10:57 AM

Hyde is now in his 4th year, and if for nothing else he should get as long of a rope as Elias has. 

We do not know if he can manage a good team, we do know that no one can manage the Oriole teams of the last 3 Plus years.

• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this
@mikeghg

#49 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 03:53 PM

I don't know anything about Brandon Hyde's managerial skills except he seems to be a very patient man.

#50 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 April 2022 - 07:25 PM

I don't know anything about Brandon Hyde's managerial skills except he seems to be a very patient man.

And that is a very good thing.  If he weren’t, he would probably have knocked the general manager out by now.

@mikeghg

#51 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 04:05 PM

Seems to me that he's doing a good job and has these guys ready to play. I'm definitely seeing improvement as this year goes along

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 July 2022 - 09:30 AM

He deserves a chance to manage the team when it actually is trying to compete, and  that should be next year or the whole regime should be on double secret probation.

@mikeghg

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 07:55 AM

MASN: Hyde managing life on the other side of the rebuild

https://www.masnspor...-of-the-rebuild

#54 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:24 AM

MASN: Hyde managing life on the other side of the rebuild

https://www.masnspor...-of-the-rebuild

Is he the manager of the year?

Hyde's been great and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next year with a roster that should have some upgrades.   One small nitpick  my neighbor and I have been grumbling about is it's felt like he's stuck with the veterans a little too much at times at  the expense of pt for the young guys, Varva and Stowers immediately come to mind.

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:30 AM

I think we have seen why riding the vets over the likes of Stowers and Vavra can be justified.

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:36 AM

Is he the manager of the year?

Hyde's been great and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next year with a roster that should have some upgrades.   One small nitpick  my neighbor and I have been grumbling about is it's felt like he's stuck with the veterans a little too much at times at  the expense of pt for the young guys, Varva and Stowers immediately come to mind.

I think he's definitely the manager of the year.  Only other possible candidate is Scott Servais.

• DuffMan likes this

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:43 AM

I think he has done a great job getting these guys to buy in and play good baseball every night. I think he's done a relatively poor job managing the pressure once we got to late August/September. Understandable, given there's been zero pressure up until that point. Send him to a seminar in the off-season on how to manage a winning club vs. a rebuilding one, and see what we have next year. It's easy with no expectations. As TwentyThirtyFive and I have been talking about in the game threads lately, next year is the real test for him. 

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:44 AM

Dusty could get it too

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:46 AM

Exceeding expectations is the name of the game for MOY.  Meeting them, even if the expectations are lofty, only gets you the prize if you're a new manager or if nobody else has exceeded expectations.  I think Hyde should be the heavy favorite with Servais the next most likely.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#60 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:46 AM

I think he has done a great job getting these guys to buy in and play good baseball every night. I think he's done a relatively poor job managing the pressure once we got to late August/September. Understandable, given there's been zero pressure up until that point. Send him to a seminar in the off-season on how to manage a winning club vs. a rebuilding one, and see what we have next year. It's easy with no expectations. As TwentyThirtyFive and I have been talking about in the game threads lately, next year is the real test for him. 

You can see that he wears everything. Which I love that he cares so much. But yeah, we will see next year. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=