So what happened to Hyde those other years?
Just to make sure people don't misinterpret the point, I'm not blaming him for those other years.
Hyde didn't overachieve from 2019-2021, so what do y'all think he drastically improved on this past season?
It's a good question. We don't know how much influence a ML Manager has.
I suspect in-game for any individual game, it's very minimal.
Over the course of 162 games, what do we think is the difference between the worst Manager and the best Manager?
Obviously would be tough to evaluate regardless, and that much harder given the variance of talent and circumstance.
What I do think Managers can really impact is the overall culture.... how they deal with players, the media, the front office.
Poor culture I definitely believe can negatively impact performance.
Positive culture - with the requisite talent - can lead to quality results.
Basically what I'd want from a Manger is:
- Someone with plus communication skills.
- Someone who understands not throwing his players under the bus in the press.
- Someone who holds players accountable behind closed doors.
- Someone who treats these men as men.
- Someone who focuses on preparation, and has the ability to look ahead.
I doubt Hyde did anything drastically different this year than past years... obviously the difference is the talent improved.