135 replies to this topic

#101 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 09:13 PM

Anyone watching in September knows Hyde didn’t deserve manager of the year.

Buck wins in the NL. What a joke.

The Mets improved by 24 games and won 101 games, who else should it have been? These are normally voted before the playoffs IIRC. And fair or not, the Dodgers will get less credit because they are always good, this seems like usually a "who helped improve from last year" award.

#102 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 09:24 PM

The Mets improved by 24 games and won 101 games, who else should it have been? These are normally voted before the playoffs IIRC. And fair or not, the Dodgers will get less credit because they are always good, this seems like usually a "who helped improve from last year" award.

Great article in a recent SI with the Mets to a man talking about the difference Buck made.

#103 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 10:06 PM

They are like 2nd in payroll. 100 wins should have been expected.

If they have the award out the end of August, ok, maybe Hyde. Not after Sept.
@BSLMikeRandall

#104 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 November 2022 - 03:27 PM

I don't pay much attention to awards, especially those where the baseball writers decide, so I need to ask why we are arguing Buck and Hyde.  

My issue, if I cared enough would be how Hyde lost to Francona?  Hyde won 83 games against the power of the AL East.  Francona won 92 while playing against a mediocre White Sox team, and bad to terrible Twins, Tiger and Royal teams.  Hyde should have won the Al award.  The Indians payroll was about 27 M more than the Orioles.

The Mets, spent about 287 M. about twice what Cleveland and Baltimore spent combined.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#105 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 November 2022 - 06:16 PM

So what happened to Hyde those other years?

Just to make sure people don't misinterpret the point, I'm not blaming him for those other years.

#106 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:36 AM

They are like 2nd in payroll. 100 wins should have been expected.

If they have the award out the end of August, ok, maybe Hyde. Not after Sept.

I don't understand how Dave Roberts was even in consideration. With that level of payroll and talent, and the light division they play in, winning their division should be an automatic lock. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#107 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:05 AM

I don't understand how Dave Roberts was even in consideration. With that level of payroll and talent, and the light division they play in, winning their division should be an automatic lock. 

I think at least for me, it is about expectations.  The Dodgers like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets etc. have very high payroll and star studded lineups, and high priced pitching. Their managers should do well and win.  Hyde managed to get the Orioles to 83 wins when I believe the over-under was 61.  I have seen the argument that the Orioles had a losing record in September and that cost him, but to me it should be about the whole body of work.

Awards really do not matter that much so congrats to Buck and Tito.  Clear a space on the mantle.  

@mikeghg

#108 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:29 AM

I don't agree that 100 wins is easy and simply expected for a manager who has high payroll. The Yankees have 3 100 win years in the past 18. Red Sox have 1 100 win year since 1946, 4 in their entire history. This was the Mets 4th in their history, 1st since 1988. Yeah the Dodgers and Astros seem to do it close to yearly, but 111 wins is a lot, which kind of shows why Roberts got a lot more votes than Dusty.

But whatever, I agree with Mike that it doesn't matter much.

#109 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,305 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:32 AM

I don't agree that 100 wins is easy and simply expected for a manager who has high payroll. The Yankees have 3 100 win years in the past 18. Red Sox have 1 100 win year since 1946, 4 in their entire history. This was the Mets 4th in their history, 1st since 1988. Yeah the Dodgers and Astros seem to do it close to yearly, but 111 wins is a lot, which kind of shows why Roberts got a lot more votes than Dusty.

It doesnt matter much but its  not easy managing huge money players in big cities either. I dont think the manger of the year should simply be an award for the team that overachieves the most. Hyde did a good job last year but Francona was deserving too. 

#110 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:54 AM

Hyde didn't overachieve from 2019-2021, so what do y'all think he drastically improved on this past season?

#111 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 11:37 AM

Hyde didn't overachieve from 2019-2021, so what do y'all think he drastically improved on this past season?

With the talent he was given the first three years, he didn't underachieve either.

@mikeghg

#112 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 11:44 AM

100 is a big number, even for 300 M teams, because so much can go wrong in a season and having a below average manager can really hurt.

I did not think Girardi was that good, and  Boone is not much better, so that could be the reason the Yankees seemingly underachieve more times than not.

@mikeghg

#113 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 01:46 PM

With the talent he was given the first three years, he didn't underachieve either.

I don't disagree. The question remains though.

#114 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 02:03 PM

So what happened to Hyde those other years?

Just to make sure people don't misinterpret the point, I'm not blaming him for those other years.

It's a good question.  We don't know how much influence a ML Manager has. 

I suspect in-game for any individual game, it's very minimal. 
Over the course of 162 games, what do we think is the difference between the worst Manager and the best Manager?

Obviously would be tough to evaluate regardless, and that much harder given the variance of talent and circumstance. 

What I do think Managers can really impact is the overall culture....   how they deal with players, the media, the front office. 
Poor culture I definitely believe can negatively impact performance. 
Positive culture - with the requisite talent - can lead to quality results. 

Basically what I'd want from a Manger is: 

- Someone with plus communication skills.

- Someone who understands not throwing his players under the bus in the press. 
- Someone who holds players accountable behind closed doors. 

- Someone who treats these men as men. 

- Someone who focuses on preparation, and has the ability to look ahead. 

I doubt Hyde did anything drastically different this year than past years... obviously the difference is the talent improved. 

#115 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 02:05 PM

I generally agree Chris with your entire post and your conclusion is what I was getting at with my questioning.

#116 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 10:21 AM

#117 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,305 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 04:05 PM

Id like to see Buck Britton get the job

#118 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 08:35 AM

He needs to get it through his skull that Adam Frazier should not be taking at bats away from Jordan Westburg. 

#119 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 08:48 AM

He needs to get it through his skull that Adam Frazier should not be taking at bats away from Jordan Westburg.

That could be a decision from above. How long was Chris Davis’ leash when he had clearly lost it? Probably for the reason that he was paid a ton to play, not sit, though it was detrimental to the team.
@BSLMikeRandall

#120 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 09:08 AM

That could be a decision from above. How long was Chris Davis’ leash when he had clearly lost it? Probably for the reason that he was paid a ton to play, not sit, though it was detrimental to the team.

Davis was being paid $23m to figure out what the hell happened to his swing in actual games. Frazier’s being paid a third of that to be a below average ball player who happens to bring a veteran presence. That presence can be felt from the bench. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=