#21 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:00 AM

As I said earlier, I don't really agree with that appraisal of the risk and I doubt they do either, because if they did agree with what you're saying, Hyde would have likely left him in. And at this point, I give them the benefit of the doubt.

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:04 AM

Well he hasn’t left Britton in the pen in a must win situation. So he still earns the benefit of the doubt. I just don’t like the decision here.

Not a fireable offense or anything.
@BSLMikeRandall

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:00 PM

There's no evidence that pitch counts limit pitching injuries. That is my issue with this debate. But it is reasonable to make the decision he did.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

There's no evidence that pitch counts limit pitching injuries. That is my issue with this debate. But it is reasonable to make the decision he did.

That’s my thing. There is no crystal ball. Like the Lamar Jackson debate, people assume because he runs he’ll get hurt. Yet pocket passing Flacco is the one who suffered injury after injury for the last 5 years.

I know the retort is that you can limit a workload to limit the odds of injury. Sure. But everyone is built different and often injury’s are flukes. Nolan Ryan threw 98-100mph until he was well into his 40s, and finally blew his arm out. I think the last pitch he ever threw that his arm gave out was 98mph. Some guys blow their arm out in warmups of rookie ball.

I don’t know how invasive it is, but when the Astros (Elias) drafted Brady Aiken, they didn’t sign him because a physical found his UCL to be unusually small. Ripe to be torn basically. He went to IMG academy and tore it right away.

So do they take an MRI of every players body? When they say “pending physical” do they go this deep? But not tell the media because of HIPA laws and such? Tell me Hess has a small UCL, and I’ll say that he did the right thing last night. If his ligaments look no different than any other normal ones, then they basically wasted a chance to save the bullpen when “the opener” is around the corner.

Also limiting pitches is contradictory to what they did with Givens the other night. 52 pitches for him. And I like that they did that too.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

Hess was getting hit hard before he got pulled. Chances are he would have allowed a hit, whether in the 7th or 8th had he lasted that long.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

Hess was getting hit hard before he got pulled. Chances are he would have allowed a hit, whether in the 7th or 8th had he lasted that long.

One ball was hit squarely off him, I don't think that qualifies as getting hit hard.   The last out was a very hard hit liner, that was the only hard hit ball off him all night that I recall.  The 9 previous batters he faced before that were 6 Ks, two popouts, and a soft liner to 1B that ended the 6th.

Agreed that he likely gives up a hit in the 7th or 8th, or uses too many pitches to be given the chance to finish the job.  But I'd have given him that opportunity until he got way further into the danger zone than I think he was last night at barely over 80 pitches without any concerns or struggles.  I think they stuck with their plan of using an overabundance of caution when it was a prime opportunity to be more aggressive for the chance at something historic.

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:46 PM

Hyde did comment that it makes it harder to pull a guy the deeper he goes. if Hess got past the 8th at like 100 pitches, it becomes impossible to pull him in the 9th, like if it takes him 20 pitches to get 2 outs. Starts approaching 130ish.

But his pace wasn’t going to take him that high. Still coulda let him finish 7 at least and see where he was.
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:47 PM

Camden Chat: How should Brandon Hyde be evaluated in 2021?

PressBox: What Hyde seeks: Q&A with manager Brandon Hyde

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:11 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Elias coy on Brandon Hyde’s status as Orioles’ manager in 2022, but hopes ‘all of us are still here together’ when team returns to playoffs

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:30 AM

Balt SunBrandon Hyde to return as Orioles manager in 2022; contract was extended last offseason

#31 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:52 AM

I don't think baseball managers really make a huge difference.... they're only as good as the talent they're dealt.

When you're actively trying to lose games, who you have as manager is of least importance.

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 September 2021 - 12:03 PM

He has been here 3 years now, but we still have no idea, whether he can manage or not.  He has been handed some of the worst rosters in MLB history.  

My suspicion is he will manage differently, if we ever field a competitive team.  IMO, there is no reason to get rid of him, because subjecting someone else to this mess, would not change much.

@mikeghg

#33 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:41 AM

Win #1 for Hyde today. 

Re-visiting this...I have to be honest, I don't know too much about him. But from what I do know about him, he's the right man for the job right now. For all the rebuilding that has been taking place, it's nice to know they have a solid man in charge of the club.

@MikeFastNFL

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:50 AM

Re-visiting this...I have to be honest, I don't know too much about him. But from what I do know about him, he's the right man for the job right now. For all the rebuilding that has been taking place, it's nice to know they have a solid man in charge of the club.

I think you are right.  He has been given nothing to work with during his 3 years.  He has maintained his composure, and represented the club well.  I will think more of the organization if they give him a chance to manage the club when it actually fields a major league roster. 

@mikeghg

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 09:13 AM

Is calling someone "the right man for the job" a compliment when the job is to oversee what is by design one of the absolute worst teams in modern history of the sport?

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#36 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 March 2022 - 09:25 AM

I don't think any manager in recent history has survived a tank/rebuild once they became more serious about being a contender, Tony La Russa taking over the White Sox being the latest example 

she/her

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 March 2022 - 09:59 AM

Is calling someone "the right man for the job" a compliment when the job is to oversee what is by design one of the absolute worst teams in modern history of the sport?

Probably not but what Hyde is doing IMO, is far tougher than managing a contender.  He is managing a minor league caliber roster in the best division in baseball.  

@mikeghg

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:00 AM

I don't think any manager in recent history has survived a tank/rebuild once they became more serious about being a contender, Tony La Russa taking over the White Sox being the latest example 

True, and I think that is what happens here.  It does not make it fair though.

@mikeghg

#39 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 03:49 PM

Admittedly, I haven't watched enough O's baseball since 2019 to have any opinion of Hyde. Seems like a nice guy, though.

#40 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:27 AM

If he's good at making in-game decisions, that will help him find his next job. It seems like he has the respect of his peers and execs around the league. But he will need to show solid decision making while he's here. Win-Loss record won't even be factored in to his getting/not getting the next job he applies for. Because everyone knew he was taking on a job where he was expected to lose, and lose spectacularly.

I know these are coveted jobs. Especially for a guy whose professional career consisted of a handful of minor league seasons. But I'm still confused by his decision to take this job. Just like this conversation, he had to know he will be let go when/if things ever turn around. Given that the sport seems to respect him, patience may have been the better route. I'm sure a more desirable job would have come 'round   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=