Win #1 for Hyde today. 

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

Players showered him with beer afterwards.

https://twitter.com/...115136339300352

@BSLMikeRandall

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:41 AM

Glad they're having fun. Hyde seems like a great one. Hope he's around when the talent arrives.
  • FFH likes this

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,704 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:15 PM

Hyde on with Gary post-game. He confirms Hess was on a pitch count, took it as long as he could, and felt awful about taking Hess out. Hopes for another one later in the year when Hess is more built up.

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:26 AM

Eh. I’m sure Hess could have handled another 20 pitches. If ever there was a time to throw out the pitch count it was then.
  • Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:42 AM

Eh. I’m sure Hess could have handled another 20 pitches. If ever there was a time to throw out the pitch count it was then.

He was on pace to need over 30 more pitches.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

It was the right move since he had just thrown a bunch of pitches a few days before.  

The well being of his arm is more important.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,383 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

He was on pace to need over 30 more pitches.

Sure, but you could let him see if he can move quicker.  It's entirely possible, even if unlikely, he could've gotten the last 8 outs on <30 pitches.  Going to 110 to get a no hitter shouldn't be off limits, IMO, even this early in the year.  Hess was stretched out pretty well in ST, and while he had only 3 days rest, he didn't throw a ton of pitches that game so it's not like a starter making another start on 3 days rest.

I think he should've given him a shot to continue it and see if he could get lucky enough pitchwise to have a chance to complete it.  If it took him another 15+ pitches to finish the 7th and he's sitting near 100 before the 8th, I've got fewer complaints if you pull him then.  But if he gets two quick outs and is at 88 pitches heading into the 8th, he's got a shot.

I guess you could argue you'd rather have him remain with 0 hits than try to push it and give up a hit leading off the 8th or something and then get pulled.  

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:40 AM

I don't really have a problem with it. I think having him pitch over 100 pitches at this stage would be irresponsible. I also don't think a presumably well thought out plan should be completely thrown out the window for what still amounted to a long shot chance at a no hitter.

I guess a counter I would consider is that you could have seen how the 7th would have progressed because there's a decent chance that he would have either given up a hit or thrown enough pitches where the case to take him out became much stronger.

Another would be if you basically just admit that you don't think he's part of the next winning O's team, so his health going forward isn't all that important.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,383 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:48 AM

100+ pitches is not irresponsible unless he was clearly tiring or you had some other indication that he was at the edge physically.  The last guy he faced hit the ball hard, but I didn't see any loss of velocity or command in the last few batters leading up to that.  He had been cruising the entire game, as far as outings go, he had a relatively stress free one aside from the fact that he hadn't given up a hit.

I don't think pushing the pitch count slightly above 100 is extremely high risk on it's own.  Factored with other things it can be, but it's not inherently irresponsible.  Avoid it when you can, but when there is the opportunity for something historic, both for the team and for the player, I'm willing to push into the edges of the limits a bit.  I think pitch count limits have come down in general more due to effectiveness (both in the current game and in the subsequent outing) than due to injury risk.  I'd have let him push further.  Not into Dusty Baker territory, but I'd give him a chance to finish the game if he can manage to be pitch-effective. 

A no-hitter is a big deal, it's worth bending the guidelines quite a bit, IMO.  Especially when the short-term negatives, like if he would be ineffective his next time out, don't really matter.

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:55 AM

I don't really agree regarding if it would have been irresponsible given the circumstances of him pitching some the other day and it being his first start of the year.

I also assume that Hyde and management don't agree with that based on the agreed upon pitch count going into the game and the following through with it despite the circumstances. At this point, this management has my benefit of the doubt.

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

Imagine how uplifting a no hitter would have been for a young team everyone in the world wrote off. For a pitcher everyone is writing off.

Instead they go to a guy with a ERA near 8.

Wonder if the game had been 1-0, 2-0, if they stick with Hess. But with a 6 run lead you feel confident the game is in hand. Best thing you can do for the other teams confidence is pull out your pitcher who is dominating.
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

I also don't care that much about the no hitter part. I care enough to slightly bend the agreed upon limitations, but not to significantly do so.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:17 AM

Hyde had his reasons.  The Orioles clearly are doing things differently.  I did not think Hess, pitching on 3 days rest was going to be able to finish any way, so if as a manager you feel that way, it becomes less important when you make the move.  Hess still had 8 outs to get so probably another 35 to 40 pitches minimum was needed.  He was not going to throw 120 pitches on short rest.  They clearly have a development plan for every one and I think they stuck to it yesterday.

The staff knows more than we do.

@mikeghg

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,383 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:23 AM

I think it was unlikely Hess was going to be able to finish and remain at an acceptable pitch count.  But I do think there was still a non-trivial chance.  I'd have let him go until the chances of completion became remote.  Getting 8 more outs on under 30 pitches was not unreasonable,  he had already had a 9, 7, 12, 11, and 13-pitch inning on the game.

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

Imagine how uplifting a no hitter would have been for a young team everyone in the world wrote off. For a pitcher everyone is writing off.

Instead they go to a guy with a ERA near 8.

Wonder if the game had been 1-0, 2-0, if they stick with Hess. But with a 6 run lead you feel confident the game is in hand. Best thing you can do for the other teams confidence is pull out your pitcher who is dominating.

Here's the thing. If you have a pitcher you're only really confident using when you have a big lead, he probably shouldn't be on the team. I haven't watched enough of Arujo to know if he's good or not but the small bit I saw of him yesterday reminded me of all those pitchers we had in the 00's who could throw hard but had no clue where it was going. Arujo was also bailed out by a double play yesterday or else that 7th inning would have been much worse and we likely lose the game.

That said, I just checked out his MiL stats and they look great. Exactly the kind of pitcher we should be giving chances to. Hope he figures it out at some point.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,383 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:28 AM

Araujo wouldn't be on the team if not for the Rule 5 requirements.  I don't think he'd be on the team if he was a fresh Rule 5 pick, the upside isn't there given the cost of carrying him for a year.  But to only carry him for 2 weeks, it makes sense.  Bite the bullet, avoid him as much as possible, and then send him down as soon as you can.  You can 5 years of control, and 3 option years, for your pain.  

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:43 AM

I think it was unlikely Hess was going to be able to finish and remain at an acceptable pitch count. But I do think there was still a non-trivial chance. I'd have let him go until the chances of completion became remote. Getting 8 more outs on under 30 pitches was not unreasonable, he had already had a 9, 7, 12, 11, and 13-pitch inning on the game.

He would have had to get 8 outs in like 10 pitches for it to be close to the guideline that was established before the start.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,383 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:53 AM

Did they say his limit was 80?  I didn't see that.

I'd have let him go up to 110 to get a no-hitter unless/until he appeared to be dramatically laboring or tiring (which was certainly not the case by the time they pulled him yesterday).  And I don't think that would be remotely irresponsible or dangerous to his long-term health.  I think it'd probably hurt his effectiveness his next time out, but I don't think he or the team would care if it comes after he pitches a no-hitter.  I wouldn't let him go that deep just to accomplish a shutout or complete game, but a no-hitter is historically significant, and worthy of pushing beyond the proscribed limits.

• Mike in STL likes this

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

No hitters are once in a lifetime. Bend the self imposed rules.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=