341 replies to this topic

#241 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 03:14 PM

Just because this year is crazy and I enjoy seeing it expressed statistically.

Trey:

2021   758 OPS   105 OPS+

2022   745 OPS   121 OPS+

He also had a 120 OPS+ in 2017.  That was an 826 OPS.

I fully buy into the statcast data too and it tells an even better story on Trey's season so far.

#242 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 04:56 PM

Its known Ive never been a big fan so not surprising Ill say that I dont want him as a DH. I just think he's a 2nd tier every day player and Im looking to upgrade. Trey can swing the stick and I dont think thats changing for awhile. If we can get him on a 2 or 3 yr deal lets do it

Trey is the better player, no doubt.

#243 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:02 PM

TWO Home runs for Santander Tonight

@mikeghg

#244 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:16 PM

TWO Home runs for Santander Tonight

Good to see. He needs to be decisive and aggressive. Hes not going to hit for a great avg. If he can be .250/310/450-470 Ill take it. Dont know if its enough to bring him back in '23 but he becomes an option. His biggest problem is his defense. I think the profile of being a decent bat but poor glove isnt going to play well on the trade market.

#245 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 04:44 AM

He's not a butcher imo. But if he's on the team in 23, most of his abs will be at DH.

#246 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:56 AM

Good to see. He needs to be decisive and aggressive. Hes not going to hit for a great avg. If he can be .250/310/450-470 Ill take it. Dont know if its enough to bring him back in '23 but he becomes an option. His biggest problem is his defense. I think the profile of being a decent bat but poor glove isnt going to play well on the trade market.

I think Santander is fine in RF.  His issues are in LF.  He just does not seem to read the ball in LF.  

@mikeghg

#247 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:01 AM

He's not a butcher imo. But if he's on the team in 23, most of his abs will be at DH.

I will be very surprised if Santander and Mancini are on next years team.  I think both may be dealt in July.

@mikeghg

#248 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:05 AM

I will be very surprised if Santander and Mancini are on next years team.  I think both may be dealt in July.

As they should be.

I'll be rooting for whoever Mancini gets traded to for the remainder of the season.

• BobPhelan and Mike B like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#249 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:09 AM

Per statcast Santander is -7 outs above average in his career, but also was -7 all of last year. He was playing hurt a lot of last year so that had to hurt the numbers. Other than last year he has been a little above average in RF and a little below in LF. Defense tends to peak early so I imagine he will be a little below average going forward. Which is doable, but if he's on the team next year I hope we will have better options. For example Stowers would certainly be better at RF, he just has to hit enough to be a regular. He's had a slow start but his Ks are down and BABIP is poor, you just never know how guys will make the jump to MLB.

• BobPhelan and Mike B like this

#250 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2022 - 11:48 AM

Per statcast Santander is -7 outs above average in his career, but also was -7 all of last year. He was playing hurt a lot of last year so that had to hurt the numbers. Other than last year he has been a little above average in RF and a little below in LF. Defense tends to peak early so I imagine he will be a little below average going forward. Which is doable, but if he's on the team next year I hope we will have better options. For example Stowers would certainly be better at RF, he just has to hit enough to be a regular. He's had a slow start but his Ks are down and BABIP is poor, you just never know how guys will make the jump to MLB.

Good post.

I wonder how Stowers, or Neustrom are defensively.

@mikeghg

#251 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:05 PM

Good post.
I wonder how Stowers, or Neustrom are defensively.

Stowers is solid. Arm is average, range a little above average for a corner outfielder.

Neustrom can make the routine plays but probably a little below average, arm is ok.
  • Mike B likes this

#252 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:10 PM

Stowers is solid. Arm is average, range a little above average for a corner outfielder.

Neustrom can make the routine plays but probably a little below average, arm is ok.

Thanks Bob!

Your description of Stowers, also describes Santander IMO.  Hopefully Stowers will be in a better place offensively by July.  

@mikeghg

#253 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:12 PM

As they should be.

I'll be rooting for whoever Mancini gets traded to for the remainder of the season.

Agreed, but the return is what will be interesting.  Our young outfielders seem to be struggling some in the minors, so if we trade Trey and Santander for more A Ball players, it will be more kicking the can down the road.

@mikeghg

#254 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:19 PM

Santander is just a guy. He might be traded, He might not. Either way he wont return much or he's not looked at as part of a contending team here. Mancini is going to be interesting. His standard numbers are starting to look better and his statcast data is really good. Think he could net us a decent return. That said, the Os system is at a point where they dont need more say Vavra  type players. They have depth. So I wont be surprised if Trey plays out the year here. 

#255 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 02:49 PM

Trade him for an AA-level pitcher.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#256 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 08:35 AM

Balt Sun: Anthony Santander almost gave up right-handed hitting. After a walk-off homer, he and the Orioles are glad he didn’t.

#257 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 May 2022 - 09:58 AM

Trade him for an AA-level pitcher.

IMO,  the organization needs to stop trading for just AA players.  The return for any trade of guys like Santander and Mancini needs to be for major league ready talent.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@mikeghg

#258 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 10:02 AM

IMO,  the organization needs to stop trading for just AA players.  The return for any trade of guys like Santander and Mancini needs to be for major league ready talent.

They could get someone "major league ready" for these guys, but then that player wouldn't be much good.  Would be a utility guy or platoon outfielder or maybe a middle reliever.  You aren't getting a good, young, fully baked player for 1/2 year of Mancini or even 2.5 years of Santander.  

So either take a cheap but low upside major leaguer or go for a minor league guy(s) with more upside but more risk or just don't trade them.  There aren't really any other options.

#259 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 11:10 AM

They could get someone "major league ready" for these guys, but then that player wouldn't be much good.  Would be a utility guy or platoon outfielder or maybe a middle reliever.  You aren't getting a good, young, fully baked player for 1/2 year of Mancini or even 2.5 years of Santander.  

So either take a cheap but low upside major leaguer or go for a minor league guy(s) with more upside but more risk or just don't trade them.  There aren't really any other options.

Right. I mentioned that in another post. Mancini and Santander can certainly net you a return but where we are as an organization the return isn;t ideally what we are looking for. Now, maybe Elias says" we can always use young cheap potential" and takes on more DSL type guys or low A guys. Nothing wrong with that. But he doent need more Terrian Vavra's or Kyle Stowers type position player and you aren't going to get more than that in return for Trey or Santander. Maybe you could get a Bradish, Zimmermann, Drew Rom type player and maybe he does that considering the upper minors could still use pitching depth.

#260 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 09:53 AM

'22: .749 OPS  .226 / .340 / .409  

'22 Current Projected:  28 homers, 81 bb's

Career:  .745 OPS  .245 / .297 / .448

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)