341 replies to this topic

#281 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 05:54 PM

There's certainly a consistency in opinion that doesn't age well.

Hey I bet he finally hit 1 WAR for the season after 100 games. Good for ole Tony

#282 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:21 PM

Hey I bet he finally hit 1 WAR for the season after 100 games. Good for ole Tony

Keep banging that WAR drum.  Hell you don't even need to watch the games, because good Ole Tony keeps stepping up at the right times, but hey WAR makes watching optional.

@mikeghg

#283 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:26 PM

Keep banging that WAR drum. Hell you don't even need to watch the games, because good Ole Tony keeps stepping up at the right times, but hey WAR makes watching optional.

He'd be fine as a DH. Too bad he has stated he doesnt want to do it. His insistence that he plays defense kills his value. Its just facts. Now, despite facts and logic always being an issue for dude, I have to use them when he brings some weak s**t into the paint.

#284 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:27 AM

He'd be fine as a DH. Too bad he has stated he doesnt want to do it. His insistence that he plays defense kills his value. Its just facts. Now, despite facts and logic always being an issue for dude, I have to use them when he brings some weak s**t into the paint.

Who said this:  "Santander is my fav to be moved. The guy has the best OPS and OPS+ on the team as of today. He plays an adequate RF(not LF). He is team controlled for 2.5 years. He has to have the most value" and "Being a switch hitter that can hit above avg from both sides doesnt hurt either."

#285 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:32 AM

I have no issues with Santander.  He's a good ML player with the opportunity to be more than that.  If he's one of your OFers, you're doing OK.  I want someone like him hitting 6th or 7th in my lineup.

He is not a good player and no he does not have the opportunity to be more than that. Again, dude shows that his player evaluation skills are suspect.

JAG is far from "good with the potential for more". The potential for more part is the bigger problem with his statement. We can quite confidently say no there isn't a chance for more at this point. His defense will only get worse as he ages and the bat is what it is within the boundaries of luck and sample size

Good work.

#286 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:57 AM

He's at 1.7 bWAR and 1.3 fWAR.  On pace for 2.7 and 2.1, respectively.

His offense has been really good this season, 125 for both OPS+ and wRC+.  He gets dinged a bit for his defensive position and I would argue dinged too much for his defensive abilities (or lack thereof).  I don't know how much we should trust the public grades in terms of granularity, but he's getting killed for his contributions in LF (which I think is fair) by both BB-ref and FG.  But they grade him much more kindly in RF, from slightly below average (-6 runs/year) at FG to slightly above average (+8 runs/year) at BB-ref, and somewhere in that range seems right to me.  He's fine in RF.  Not good but not remotely close to unplayable.  I would imagine that if he played LF regularly he'd be fine, there isn't really a huge difference the amount of range you need to play LF vice RF.  But certainly he's looked quite bad when out there, so he isn't comfortable at the least and maybe there is some actual limitation for him.

#287 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 11:59 AM

Who said this: "Santander is my fav to be moved. The guy has the best OPS and OPS+ on the team as of today. He plays an adequate RF(not LF). He is team controlled for 2.5 years. He has to have the most value" and "Being a switch hitter that can hit above avg from both sides doesnt hurt either."

Again Im using facts. The numbers say he is a terrible defender. But yeah a team could overpay for him and Im going to sell the crap out of him to anyone interested.

#288 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:01 PM

Good work.

Stand by everything. Hes just a guy. No potential for more than what he has been.

#289 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:07 PM

Stand by everything. Hes just a guy. No potential for more than what he has been.

He's replaceable.  He's not a cornerstone piece.  But he's a decent player.  A usable player on a good team.  
Stowers has a good chance to provide similar production.  I'm a little skeptical of Stowers in '23 being as good as Santander in '22 though.

#290 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:09 PM

He's at 1.7 bWAR and 1.3 fWAR. On pace for 2.7 and 2.1, respectively.

His offense has been really good this season, 125 for both OPS+ and wRC+. He gets dinged a bit for his defensive position and I would argue dinged too much for his defensive abilities (or lack thereof). I don't know how much we should trust the public grades in terms of granularity, but he's getting killed for his contributions in LF (which I think is fair) by both BB-ref and FG. But they grade him much more kindly in RF, from slightly below average (-6 runs/year) at FG to slightly above average (+8 runs/year) at BB-ref, and somewhere in that range seems right to me. He's fine in RF. Not good but not remotely close to unplayable. I would imagine that if he played LF regularly he'd be fine, there isn't really a huge difference the amount of range you need to play LF vice RF. But certainly he's looked quite bad when out there, so he isn't comfortable at the least and maybe there is some actual limitation for him.

He was just under 1 this time last week. 0.8 or 0.9. As I said it took him 100 games to get to 1. Hes in the middle of a hot streak. Hes streaky. Sell him. OPS is currently .790 something. Ill bet it finishes under .770. Again, hed be a fine DH to pencil in for next year but hes made it known he hates DHing and wants to play the field. That kills his value and hurts his team.

#291 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:15 PM

He's replaceable. He's not a cornerstone piece. But he's a decent player. A usable player on a good team.
Stowers has a good chance to provide similar production. I'm a little skeptical of Stowers in '23 being as good as Santander in '22 though.

Oh offensively he likely wont be as good. Especially if Santander can maintain being a 125 OPS+ guy. Its how much difference does his speed and defense make up and then of course what are his offensive numbers as a rookie. Lets assume Santander is a 2 WAR guy. Stowers getting to that number his rookie year. I think thats 50/50 maybe just below.

#292 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 08:19 AM

MASN: Santander learning more about Bonilla as they find common ground through the air

https://www.masnspor...und-through-air

#293 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 September 2022 - 08:55 AM

I would appreciate Santander a lot more if he leaned into his power even more and really learned first base over the offseason, abandoning the outfield.

#294 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:12 AM

I would appreciate Santander a lot more if he leaned into his power even more and really learned first base over the offseason, abandoning the outfield.

Intriguing. He has that 1B mold for sure.

#295 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:13 AM

Just make him the regular DH.  He can still rotate to the OF when necessary. 

#296 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:25 AM

I thought he didn't want to be a full-time DH?  Also, you figure Adley will be DH'ing probably 40 games a year, so that kind of rules out having a full-time DH.

#297 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:27 AM

I thought he didn't want to be a full-time DH?  Also, you figure Adley will be DH'ing probably 40-50 games a year, so that kind of rules out having a full-time DH.

He doesn't make the lineup.  Put him at DH. 

And you can rotate him to the OF on days you don't want Adley behind the plate. 

• Mackus and Mike B like this

#298 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:53 AM

I thought he didn't want to be a full-time DH?  Also, you figure Adley will be DH'ing probably 40 games a year, so that kind of rules out having a full-time DH.

Have Santander play RF for 20 of those games and sit the other 20.  This isn't a problem.

#299 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 10:02 AM

Have Santander play RF for 20 of those games and sit the other 20.  This isn't a problem.

It's a problem if Santander doesn't want to DH 120 games a year (which he apparently doesn't).  Maybe they can convince him, I don't know.

#300 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 10:05 AM

It's a problem if Santander doesn't want to DH 120 games a year (which he apparently doesn't).  Maybe they can convince him, I don't know.

He doesn't get to choose.  He's DH'd a lot lately without it affecting anything.  I'm not worried about him being a malcontent and his performance dropping or the locker room suffering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=