341 replies to this topic

#201 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, the type of return you'd get for Santander won't be worth trading him for and if they non-tender him over 4 million or less then I think that would cause too much backlash.

#202 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 07:39 PM

Agreed.  The big range I'd use is 3.5-4.5M.  I've typically put him i nthe 3.8-4.2 range.  If he's less than 3.5M (performance) he's probably a non-tender.  A solid finish makes him a reasonable trade chip.  I doubt he's headed north with the Orioles next March.

There's a number of teams where he'd be a good fit for. CWS, CLE, KC, ATL, NYM, DC, MIL, STL, and all pretty reasonable need.

A pretty long way to go if we're going to trade or non tender all our players that are eligible for arbitration. Thats what you predicted yes?

#203 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 07:43 PM

Well except for Ruiz. He's tendered and returns.

#204 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:30 PM

A pretty long way to go if we're going to trade or non tender all our players that are eligible for arbitration. Thats what you predicted yes?

You think?  We started with 11.  We'll see.  I'm certainly wrong about them getting traded at this point.  

Well except for Ruiz. He's tendered and returns.

You keep getting this wrong.  I didn't say he'd get tendered.  My thought was he might be a guy that comes back for under 1M.

#205 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:40 AM

You think? We started with 11. We'll see. I'm certainly wrong about them getting traded at this point.

You keep getting this wrong. I didn't say he'd get tendered. My thought was he might be a guy that comes back for under 1M.

Still a chance!

#206 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:45 AM

He just barely missed the warehouse on the fly on a foul ball last night. Literally one hopped it about 10 feet shy. Dude's got massive power when he's healthy and dialed in.
  • DuffMan likes this

#207 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:48 AM

How many more years is he under team control?

#208 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:49 AM

They'll keep Santander. I think he's one of the players they actually like and still reasonably cheap.

I hope you are right, but they have given away or non tendered other players they liked.  

It will be a good sign if they tender Santander.

I still think he is playing hurt, but he is really locked in right now.  Trey got the rally started in the 8th, Santander''s blistering double got them believing.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#209 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:50 AM

How many more years is he under team control?

He's not a FA until after '24.

• DuffMan likes this

#210 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:51 AM

He just barely missed the warehouse on the fly on a foul ball last night. Literally one hopped it about 10 feet shy. Dude's got massive power when he's healthy and dialed in.

His homerun in the first left the park about as fast as any I have seen.  It was not very high, but it was tagged.

@mikeghg

#211 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:51 AM

I hope you are right, but they have given away or non tendered other players they liked.  

I still think he is playing hurt, but he is really locked in right now.  Trey got the rally started in the 8th, Santander''s blistering double got them believing.

Let's see how his hand is tonight after maybe injuring his fingers on the slide.

#212 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:52 AM

I was at the game, and sensed they felt they were going to win the game from the first pitch, even after falling behind. Just had that feel to it. Annoyed they couldn't harness that level of focus and intensity a little earlier. But the Angels bullpen certainly played a big role too. So bad.

#213 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2021 - 09:54 AM

Let's see how his hand is tonight after maybe injuring his fingers on the slide.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.  Some guys just seem to always operate under an injury cloud.

@mikeghg

#214 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 10:12 AM

The exit velos arent an issue when he squares it up. That no one can deny. Not much hope of the BB % improving. Defense, no matter where you think it is now, will not improve with age. If he can find the barrell more often .260 could become .275. Obp to .320 ish. Slug jumps over .500. Now you have a low to mid .800 OPS guy with just enough defense to be a reg on a contender. Not high hopes but not out of the question. Run it back next year. Its only going to be his 27 yr old season.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#215 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 03:46 PM

This guy drives me crazy. After a very good August(finally) he's ice cold to start September. To put his offense into perspective, he has 80 more PA than DJ Stewart and is relatively the same offensive player. DJ has a slightly better OPS.

#216 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:41 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles slugger Anthony Santander wants to be healthy and productive. He’s thinking about a diet change.

MASN: 
https://www.masnspor...g-gets-old.html

“(Anthony) Santander swung the bat really well today. He’s feeling better and you can tell in his swings. And Haysie, outstanding month. So, really excited about those four guys going forward and they have been a bright spot for a tough year.”

Santander was 1-for-4 yesterday and almost took the cover off a ball that hooked foul. Last year’s Most Valuable Oriole hasn’t been shut down in September, so he’s ahead of the past two seasons, but the ankle he sprained in April remains sore and never let him soar.

Never let him fully return to the player who had scouts watching him in spring training and executives checking on his availability.

Santander batted .309/.350/.617 with five doubles and eight homers in 26 games last month. He began yesterday slashing .241/.268/.426 in September, and he hit three homers in a four-game stretch.

“It’s been a tough year for him. Hasn’t been himself for the majority of the year,” Hyde said.

“Actually, the last month he’s moved around the best he’s moved all year long. The bat speed has been back, it looks like he’s in his legs a little bit more. You can see the finish of his swing that there’s some balanced finishes there. For a couple months it was kind of hard to watch a little bit, you could tell it was bothering him, the ankle.

“I really like Anthony a lot, I think he’s got a lot of upside. We saw what he could do in a short spring last year. Even two years ago, he really showed the tools he has and he had some really good moments where you thought this guy could be a middle-of-the-order bat, switch-hitter, play corner outfield defense. And then this year kind of that ankle just happened right away and just never got going. But I’ve been encouraged by the last month. His swings have been better and he’s shown more the kind of player that I think he’s going to be.”

#217 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:39 AM

That's a very timely setup.

#218 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:40 AM

That's a very timely setup.

Odds favor him being in the '22 O's Opening Day lineup.

#219 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:17 PM

I think, Hyde is tiring of the musical chairs approach to building a roster.  Like Buck before him, he has his guys.

It seems like Santander is one of them.

I still expect the Orioles (Elias) will DFA Santander or trade him for next to nothing, but good for Hyde, speaking out for what he considers one of his guys.

@mikeghg

#220 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:18 PM

I think, Hyde is tiring of the musical chairs approach to building a roster.  Like Buck before him, he has his guys.

It seems like Santander is one of them.

I still expect the Orioles (Elias) will DFA Santander or trade him for next to nothing, but good for Hyde, speaking out for what he considers one of his guys.

Elias had similar comments on Santander last month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=