• Please log in to reply
571 replies to this topic

#81 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

If we don't keep Manny, this guy is Plan B. 

#82 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

If we don't keep Manny, this guy is Plan B. 

I think you meant to say since we won't keep Manny this guy is plan A.....lol

#83 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

I think you meant to say since we won't keep Manny this guy is plan A.....lol

I honestly think that the O's will try and extend him. Maybe that's just my positive thinking. 

#84 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

I honestly think that the O's will try and extend him. Maybe that's just my positive thinking. 

...or weed.

• MDtransplant757 likes this

#85 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:13 AM

...or weed.

I can't afford that

#86 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

2 hits, including an RBI and a double in the AFL AS game last night.

#87 ZachSpedden

ZachSpedden

HOF

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Following his performance in 2017, it is safe to say that Ryan Mountcastle’s prospect stock is on the rise. 

http://baltimorespor...yer-watch-2018/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#88 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

Two big issues with Mountcastle.   It's very iffy if he can even stay at 3B and the next step after that is either LF or 1B. 

Secondly, he had 17 walks on the year in 127 games.   His strikeouts (96) weren't awful but all in all, his plate discipline is below average. 

You might be looking at an Adam Jones type offensive player without the premium position and defense.

If Mountcastle is a LF or 1B, his bat would need to be really special and the 17 walks lead me to believe that it won't be.

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

His future should probably be 2nd.

#90 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

If he has strong value on the open market, I would trade him.

#91 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

His future should probably be 2nd.

I don't think he has the range to be a middle infielder and the arm might be suited for 2B but it hurts you there too.

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

I don't think he has the range to be a middle infielder and the arm might be suited for 2B but it hurts you there too.

I guess you'd hope he could be Jeff Kent.   Not expecting that level of offense. 

Do like having Schoop's arm there, and as Buck says Schoop is excellent around the bag.  Would be surprised if Schoop's range is significantly any better than Mountcastle though.   (I think Schoop is below average to average around range... so even if Mountcastle is below average, I think it's probably close.)

In a world where Manny is extended, I like the idea of Schoop to 3rd, and Manny to SS, and Mountcastle at 2nd.

#93 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

I know minor league range factor is an imperfect statistic but when you look at these numbers tell me what you think.

Ryan Mountcastle,   186 games at SS  --    RF   3.83

Jon Schoop   224 games at SS -   RF   4.91

Ryan Flaherty -   114 games at SS-    RF   4.67

Adrian Marin  -   536 games at SS  -   RF   4.50

By all accounts, Mountcastle is still filling out and will get bigger.   

Compare almost any SS or 2B in baseball and check out their RF numbers in the minors.     Mountcastle is significantly at the low end of the scale.

#94 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:47 PM

Two big issues with Mountcastle.   It's very iffy if he can even stay at 3B and the next step after that is either LF or 1B. 

Secondly, he had 17 walks on the year in 127 games.   His strikeouts (96) weren't awful but all in all, his plate discipline is below average. 

You might be looking at an Adam Jones type offensive player without the premium position and defense.

If Mountcastle is a LF or 1B, his bat would need to be really special and the 17 walks lead me to believe that it won't be.

Why can't he play second base?

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

I know minor league range factor is an imperfect statistic but when you look at these numbers tell me what you think.

Ryan Mountcastle,   186 games at SS  --    RF   3.83

Jon Schoop   224 games at SS -   RF   4.91

Ryan Flaherty -   114 games at SS-    RF   4.67

Adrian Marin  -   536 games at SS  -   RF   4.50

By all accounts, Mountcastle is still filling out and will get bigger.   

Compare almost any SS or 2B in baseball and check out their RF numbers in the minors.     Mountcastle is significantly at the low end of the scale.

I appreciate the numbers and what they are saying...   I personally won't have much of an opinion either way until I see him myself.

Based on everything I've heard to date... I currently feel 2nd is his best position going forward... but I understand what you are saying here.

#96 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

I appreciate the numbers and what they are saying...   I personally won't have much of an opinion either way until I see him myself.

Based on everything I've heard to date... I currently feel 2nd is his best position going forward... but I understand what you are saying here.

I guess I'm not sure what he's saying either. He's going too big to play second base? Hard to believe he wouldn't have the arm for second base. 

#97 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

This is going to be our version of what Tim Beckham went through in Tampa. 

#98 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

Why can't he play second base?

There isn't anyone outside the Orioles organization (and maybe even in the Orioles  organization) who mentions that as a possibility.   The BA Handbook for 2017 said his most likely destinations are LF or 1B.    An interesting thing to say about a player who was currently a SS.  The reasons are obvious.   Yes, you can hide a weak arm at 2B but it is still a minus.   Without his bazooka, Schoop would be a below average 2B.     Mountcastle, most likely, would have even less range than Schoop and an arm on the other end of the scale.

#99 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

I guess I'm not sure what he's saying either. He's going too big to play second base? Hard to believe he wouldn't have the arm for second base. 

A weak arm is a weak arm.  Yes, you can play him at 2B but a weak arm hurts you there as well.   Schoop is evidence of how a great arm can help to turn the DP and make the plays in the holes, which helps mitigate his below average range.

There is no one who projects Mountcastle at 2b.    Find me one scouting report that mentions it.    I haven't seen it.   

Most likely, he just doesn't have the range for middle infield.   I'm saying that Schoop is athletic with infield actions and even he has limited range because he's a big kid.   Mountcastle doesn't have the same natural infield actions, has a well below average arm, and will be as big, if not bigger than Schoop.

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

#100 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

This is going to be our version of what Tim Beckham went through in Tampa. 

I'm not sure what you mean but I suspect you are in a different hemisphere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=