572 replies to this topic

#101 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

I appreciate the numbers and what they are saying...   I personally won't have much of an opinion either way until I see him myself.

Based on everything I've heard to date... I currently feel 2nd is his best position going forward... but I understand what you are saying here.

I don't believe you'll ever have the chance to evaluate Mountcastle as a 2B.    I  believe, if 3B doesn't work out, that you'll see him next in LF or 1B.

#102 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

If there is a lot of internal doubt about his ability to play defense, you should look to package him in a trade this offseason.

#103 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

If there is a lot of internal doubt about his ability to play defense, you should look to package him in a trade this offseason.

Well, if there really is that much consensus by everyone else but us that he can't play the IF who the hell would give up much of anything for him? If there is any light that he can play IF then I thin you have to do what the Orioles are doing imo and exhaust all the valuable IF options until he proves he can't do it. I don't think we're there yet. I'm sure RZ knows his stuff, but it's just amazing to me that a guy drafted as a SS, now has too "weak" of an arm for second base. 

Like Chris, I'd really like to see this guy myself. 

#104 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

I'm not sure what you mean but I suspect you are in a different hemisphere.

Tim Beckham was a good bat that the Rays couldn't stick in the field because they either had better options or Beckham didn't react well to playing there. 

#105 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

Well, if there really is that much consensus by everyone else but us that he can't play the IF who the hell would give up much of anything for him? If there is any light that he can play IF then I thin you have to do what the Orioles are doing imo and exhaust all the valuable IF options until he proves he can't do it. I don't think we're there yet. I'm sure RZ knows his stuff, but it's just amazing to me that a guy drafted as a SS, now has too "weak" of an arm for second base. 

That's not exactly what I said.   You can play a guy with a weak arm at 2B.   Of course, you would hope that he might have plus range or something else going for him.   With Mountcastle, you have both a player with limited range and a weak arm.    That combination would make him a liability at 2B.   I don't know if the Orioles would consider trying him at 2B.    From the reports I've read, I would guess not.   Obviously, the only way we'll find out is if he fails at 3B and we'd see where they try him next.    Obviously 2B is a more preferable and important position than LF or 1B, so you'd think they'd try him there if they thought he might be able to handle it.   In fact, most shortstops who don't quite make it there, go from SS to 2B  (Brian Roberts/Jerry Hairston/Jon Schoop) so it's curious that Mountcastle went from SS to 3B instead.   Some will argue that it's because of Manny leaving but I think it has just as much to do with what I've been talking about.  

#106 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:07 PM

Well first of all, just because the Orioles May believe something doesn’t mean other teams will agree.

Other teams may be happy with him in the OF...not sure that best suits the Os.

#107 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

OK, so I gathering RZ is saying his arm isn't weak for second but it isn't strong enough to compensate for his lack of range there. Anecdotally I did fin a picture of him in a Bowie uniform and he does look pretty chunky. Makes sense why they might look at him at third base base before second base. 

As far as trading him, just makes no sense to me with all the questions surrounding him defensively and offensively a this point. Might as well let things play out in Bowie this year, offensively and defensively. 

#108 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

OK, so I gathering RZ is saying his arm isn't weak for second but it isn't strong enough to compensate for his lack of range there. Anecdotally I did fin a picture of him in a Bowie uniform and he does look pretty chunky. Makes sense why they might look at him at third base base before second base.

As far as trading him, just makes no sense to me with all the questions surrounding him defensively and offensively a this point. Might as well let things play out in Bowie this year, offensively and defensively.

It only makes no sense if the value isn’t there. He was still a midseason top 50 prospect by Bp. BA will have him in the top 100 this year.

#109 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

There isn't anyone outside the Orioles organization (and maybe even in the Orioles  organization) who mentions that as a possibility.   The BA Handbook for 2017 said his most likely destinations are LF or 1B.    An interesting thing to say about a player who was currently a SS.  The reasons are obvious.   Yes, you can hide a weak arm at 2B but it is still a minus.   Without his bazooka, Schoop would be a below average 2B.     Mountcastle, most likely, would have even less range than Schoop and an arm on the other end of the scale.

FWIW all 3 of our guys.... Zach, Reggie, and Greg have each mentioned 2nd base for Mountcastle.

#110 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Orioles.com: O's pleased with Mountcastle's transition to 3B

#111 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

MASN: Notes on Trumbo, Rule 5s, Mountcastle, and more

#112 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

Wow...I absolutely love what Buck told Mountcastle.

It surprised me to hear he said it but it was great that he did.

#113 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,019 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

God dammit.  Mountcastle and Hays are gonna have to be MVP level guys now or else we'll hear all about how Buck ruined them, too, from certain crazy corners of the Orioles world.

#114 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

Wow...I absolutely love what Buck told Mountcastle.

It surprised me to hear he said it but it was great that he did.

What is the organization going to do to support/ reinforce this? Otherwise it's just a few nice quotes and a little ass chewing. I want to see the player development focus on plate discipline. Not just talk about it in Oct-Mar every year.

#115 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

What is the organization going to do to support/ reinforce this? Otherwise it's just a few nice quotes and a little ass chewing. I want to see the player development focus on plate discipline. Not just talk about it in Oct-Mar every year.

And this is also a great point.

They need to do their part, that’s for sure.

Still, I love what Buck said to him.

#116 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

Apparently he broke his hand today.

#117 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

Melewski:

To further clarify on Mountcastle inj - is hairline fracture in his right hand. Out 4-6 weeks.

#118 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

Hope it’s not the hamate

#119 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

Dave
2:41
What position do you think Mountcastle ends up at for Baltimore?

Keith Law
2:41
Most likely left field, but I'd keep trying to work on the throwing motion and see if he can stay at third. Dude's gonna hit, though.

#120 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

Balt Baseball: Mountcastle’s big season debut
http://www.baltimore...-w-wells-walks/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=