#61 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

It's not going to work like that anymore. This new CBA seems to have flipped the onus from the teams to the player to name their price. I'm sure Boras is all over the phone with MIN right now telling them he signs for $6.2 and getting the agreement to take back to HOU and tell them to beat that. Appel would love to play for HOU, he grew up a fan, BUT working this new CBA is going to be tricky, this is the only window they have to negotiate now.

Very true - however, it wouldn't be completely out of the question for an agent like Boras to get too aggressive and not realizing he no longer has the kind of leverage he used to, thus screwing up a good deal for a top potential top pick.

#62 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Gausman looks a lot taller than 6'4"

Physically impossible to get the same plane on your FB throwing from 5'8" versus 6'7"
@JeffLongBP

#63 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Can someone explain why Gammons is qualified to work the draft?
@JeffLongBP

#64 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Can someone explain why Gammons is qualified to work the draft?

I thought it was because he has worked in baseball since 1902..?

#65 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Watching the breakdown of the top pitchers, I've decided Stroman is the anti-Gausman. :)

If Stroman were 6'4 he would be no. 1, it's that plane he gets that separates Gausman, but Stroman's stuff is so much dirtier.
@JeremyMStrain

#66 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein
Exec w/ team not picking early: "Hopefully some of these dopes do something stupid up top."
@JeffLongBP

#67 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Watching the breakdown of the top pitchers, I've decided Stroman is the anti-Gausman. :)

If Stroman were 6'4 he would be no. 1, it's that plane he gets that separates Gausman, but Stroman's stuff is so much dirtier.

lol.

If Stroman were at least 5'11" he'd be considered for the top pick, or bare minimum top 5. Instead he'll likely fall between 10 and 15.

#68 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein
Exec w/ team not picking early: "Hopefully some of these dopes do something stupid up top."

Stupid meaning someone doesn't take Zunino or Stroman early enough on..

#69 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

It's not going to work like that anymore. This new CBA seems to have flipped the onus from the teams to the player to name their price. I'm sure Boras is all over the phone with MIN right now telling them he signs for $6.2 and getting the agreement to take back to HOU and tell them to beat that. Appel would love to play for HOU, he grew up a fan, BUT working this new CBA is going to be tricky, this is the only window they have to negotiate now.

Very true - however, it wouldn't be completely out of the question for an agent like Boras to get too aggressive and not realizing he no longer has the kind of leverage he used to, thus screwing up a good deal for a top potential top pick.

I doubt it. Appel is a senior, unless he's going to try the Aaron Crow route, there isn't much leverage, and the difference between #1 and #10 is HUGE, so I don't think it's going to go like that anymore.
@JeremyMStrain

#70 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

I have next to no knowledge on any of these guys, but I'll be following this thread to get some good insight.

#71 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

BTW I've decided I want Correa. Period.
@JeremyMStrain

#72 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Seriously the video that they showed of Stroman. Just nasty, nasty stuff.

#73 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

He's already being touted as the next A-Rod.

Machado had those comps as well though.

#74 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Yessssss. You've come around.
@JeffLongBP

#75 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

I've said it before...Correa is an extremely intriguing pick.

#76 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Seriously the video that they showed of Stroman. Just nasty, nasty stuff.

It's even dirtier in person. I've seen a LOT of baseball, and that kid might have some of the nastiest stuff I've ever seen. If he's a closer out of the gate, I think he's going to be the best when it's over. I'm still REALLY intrigued to see if he holds up as a SP though, gut feeling, but that stuff is nasty.
@JeremyMStrain

#77 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

I've said it before...Correa is an extremely intriguing pick.

Ps - Klaw said today that the A-Rod comps are a joke because he doesn't think Correa has a shot to stay at SS. Regardless, as a 3B Klaw says he'll crush.
@JeffLongBP

#78 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

I think Nick has a bug in my ear or something, I feel a little more warmly towards Almora today too, but I think it's just being close to decision time and having to actually pick guys instead of just looking at that clump of 7 players as even.
@JeremyMStrain

#79 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

It's even dirtier in person. I've seen a LOT of baseball, and that kid might have some of the nastiest stuff I've ever seen. If he's a closer out of the gate, I think he's going to be the best when it's over. I'm still REALLY intrigued to see if he holds up as a SP though, gut feeling, but that stuff is nasty.

Reminds me of Kimbrel in that way. Why is Kimbrel not a starter?
@JeffLongBP

#80 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

I doubt it. Appel is a senior, unless he's going to try the Aaron Crow route, there isn't much leverage, and the difference between #1 and #10 is HUGE, so I don't think it's going to go like that anymore.

I'm not suggesting that Appel wouldn't be smart enough to tell Boras to knock it off, or wouldn't sign if he knew he wasn't getting anything better, but what if?

Boras isn't used to having the upper hand in negotiations..new territory for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=