JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Also this.

Donald (North Carolina)

How quickly will Stroman get to the majors once he signs?
Klaw (4:01 PM)

I think you could put him in the majors tomorrow and he'd be fine. Realistically, I'd say by August 1st, because I can't imagine any team having the stones to do this.

But can he get to the majors this quickly as a starter?

Oh absolutely not. I guess you could let him pitch out of the 'pen this summer then stretch him out in ST though
@JeffLongBP

#44 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Oh absolutely not. I guess you could let him pitch out of the 'pen this summer then stretch him out in ST though

The better question would be how many teams would be smart enough to let him have a go at being a starter in the big leagues?

Too much is being made of his height, 5'9", and scouts are using it as a knock against him. That means that some talent evaluators are looking at him primarily as a set-up or closer type once drafted.

So yeah - how many GM's and Coaches would be willing to let him have his crack at starting in the big leagues once he gets through the minors (as a starter if they let him)?

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hmmmm...interesting buzz to follow. Gausman #1 to HOU. Rumor has it that his agent has offered to sign for $5m if taken #1, which would give HOU an extra $2m to spend later. Unexpected wrinkle and benefit with this new CBA stuff.
@JeremyMStrain

#46 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hmmmm...interesting buzz to follow. Gausman #1 to HOU. Rumor has it that his agent has offered to sign for $5m if taken #1, which would give HOU an extra $2m to spend later. Unexpected wrinkle and benefit with this new CBA stuff.

If Gausman goes 1, Appel or Buxton @ 2? I assume whoever gets by MIN goes 3...
@JeffLongBP

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

What would Gausman have to gain by offering less to sign? Texas tax breaks an advantage? What's the deal here?

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

What would Gausman have to gain by offering less to sign? Texas tax breaks an advantage? What's the deal here?

If he goes 4 like projected he gets 4.2m. If he cuts a deal with HOU to give them some extra money, he picks up an extra $1m. HOU is apparently haggling with Appel over $$$ which opened the door for this.
@JeremyMStrain

#49 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

If he goes 4 like projected he gets 4.2m. If he cuts a deal with HOU to give them some extra money, he picks up an extra $1m. HOU is apparently haggling with Appel over $$$ which opened the door for this.

Sounds plausible. Interesting that things are so up in the air for the #1 pick this late.
@JeffLongBP

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

I see. Sorry, I really need to read up on this CBA stuff and wrap my head around how this impacts the early rounds.

#51 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Interesting development. I think the new CBA will certainly play a role like this in the upcoming drafts - especially when it comes to haggling over the (little) money teams can spend.

So say Gausman goes 1, do the next two picks play out Buxton/Appel..or does Appel end up dropping to the O's?

#52 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Interesting development. I think the new CBA will certainly play a role like this in the upcoming drafts - especially when it comes to haggling over the (little) money teams can spend.

So say Gausman goes 1, do the next two picks play out Buxton/Appel..or does Appel end up dropping to the O's?

If he does what does he sign for?

Everyone seems to have a good idea of how to take advantage of the new CBA but I'm not sure anyone knows how it will actually play out until it does
@JeffLongBP

#53 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

If he does what does he sign for?

Everyone seems to have a good idea of how to take advantage of the new CBA but I'm not sure anyone knows how it will actually play out until it does

Exactly.

#54 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Boras and Appel probably expect to be paid like a 1:1 guy, so if he dropped to 1:4, those would be some really interesting negotiations given the new rules.
@BSLLukeJackson

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Boras and Appel probably expect to be paid like a 1:1 guy, so if he dropped to 1:4, those would be some really interesting negotiations given the new rules.

If he drops, he can't expect to get paid like that anymore. It's on the agents to sell their players higher now so that they can get that extra money. Power play by Gausman is genius I think.
@JeremyMStrain

#56 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

That's smart on Gausman's part to make that extra bit of money - sucks for the O's though.

Even worse for Appel if the Astro's are serious about taking Gausman instead. What other team would want to risk drafting Appel if Boras and him become a nuisance to the negotiations when teams have a set amount they can spend now (without penalty)? Could get nasty and would make for a great example in next year's draft if this in fact does happen.

Appel will only be hurting himself $$$ wise if he's not willing to negotiate a reasonable contract with the Astros.

#57 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

Damnit. Stupid mlb.com thing isn't working in Chrome. Looks like I'll have this and the video on separate browsers. Sweet.
@JeffLongBP

#58 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

Damnit. Stupid mlb.com thing isn't working in Chrome. Looks like I'll have this and the video on separate browsers. Sweet.

Working on Chrome over here.

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

It's not going to work like that anymore. This new CBA seems to have flipped the onus from the teams to the player to name their price. I'm sure Boras is all over the phone with MIN right now telling them he signs for $6.2 and getting the agreement to take back to HOU and tell them to beat that. Appel would love to play for HOU, he grew up a fan, BUT working this new CBA is going to be tricky, this is the only window they have to negotiate now.
@JeremyMStrain

#60 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Gausman looks a lot taller than 6'4"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors