Main MLB Draft Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
391 replies to this topic

#21 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

FYI, klaw updated his mock for the O's. "Max Fried has emerged as a strong possibility for this pick." http://insider.espn.... ... mock-draft
@BSLLukeJackson

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Blech. Not a Fried fan at all.
@JeremyMStrain

#23 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

FYI, klaw updated his mock for the O's. "Max Fried has emerged as a strong possibility for this pick." http://insider.espn.... ... mock-draft

With the Pirates & O's picks in the air (not to mention the Mariners) the whole middle of the draft is in flux big time.
@JeffLongBP

#24 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

This time last year, O's fans were in Code 10 Freakout Mode when the rumors started to swirl about the O's passing on Dylan Bundy. I'd still be crying if they had passed on him.
@BSLLukeJackson

#25 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

If they draft Giolito I demand full credit for my conspiracy theory about them using Fried as cover for Giolito

FWIW - Klaw mentions (albeit subtly) that Giolito is the only guy with "Ace potential". Gausman and Appel could be #1s, more likely #2s
@JeffLongBP

#26 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

With the Pirates & O's picks in the air (not to mention the Mariners) the whole middle of the draft is in flux big time.

The Mariners are typically pretty secretive about their drafts, and this year is no different ... they may hold the keys to how the top ten plays out now that it seems that Appel/Buxton are going 1-2 in some order.
@BSLLukeJackson

#27 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

If they draft Giolito I demand full credit for my conspiracy theory about them using Fried as cover for Giolito

FWIW - Klaw mentions (albeit subtly) that Giolito is the only guy with "Ace potential". Gausman and Appel could be #1s, more likely #2s

I will give you credit if it happens, but I think he's either more hurt than he has let on, or could be a serious injury risk in the next year or so. That much velo with sharp breaking stuff usually ends in TJ at some point.

I do agree with law though, it's why I've had him at #1 until this week. Just wish he was further along in recovery.
@JeremyMStrain

#28 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

I will give you credit if it happens, but I think he's either more hurt than he has let on, or could be a serious injury risk in the next year or so. That much velo with sharp breaking stuff usually ends in TJ at some point.

I do agree with law though, it's why I've had him at #1 until this week. Just wish he was further along in recovery.

True - though he is throwing, even long toss. I'd imagine he could throw off a mound if necessary.
I mean, he has until July to sign so if you knew, for a fact, that he could go 100% in 3 weeks, would you take him tonight?
@JeffLongBP

#29 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

klaw now says "hearing Correa strongly with this pick" with regards to Seattle's pick. For the O's, it may come down to Gausman vs. Fried, and money could potentially be the deciding factor...
@BSLLukeJackson

#30 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

My feeling on the top four picks has been, and remains like this...

1. Astros=Appel
2. Twins=Buxton
3. Mariners=Correa
4. Orioles=Gausman

So, I agree that the M's are in on Correa. I hope not, as I hope he's at #4 when we're up.

#31 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

True - though he is throwing, even long toss. I'd imagine he could throw off a mound if necessary.
I mean, he has until July to sign so if you knew, for a fact, that he could go 100% in 3 weeks, would you take him tonight?

I think if he was CLOSE to throwing off a mound he'd have done it already. I think he's either going to miss this whole season, or he's just not going to sign for $2m or less. I think he'd sign if we took him at 4, but I don't think im confident enough that he could go somewhere and throw this season to take him at 4. Just cause if you don't sign him, you still lose that 4.2m from the budget.
@JeremyMStrain

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

I understand Fried has some projection but why pass on the college guys who you have much more info on and have a similar or greater ceiling?

Just doesn't make much sense.

Fried would probably be the pick that would upset me the most.

#33 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

I understand Fried has some projection but why pass on the college guys who you have much more info on and have a similar or greater ceiling?

Just doesn't make much sense.

Fried would probably be the pick that would upset me the most.

Fried is being used... :)

#34 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

I have him at #7 on my personal board, but who knows where the O's value Fried? He's a heck of a prospect, but I like the other guys I have rated above him -naturally- and would prefer the O's to stick with my personal board. ;)

#35 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Probably good time to note that scouts have seen all these guys for years now and have a good understanding of how these kids have developed over time (is it an upward trend or is it more inconsistent?), how they look when all their stuff is working, how they look when they have no stuff working during an outing, makeup, their financial demands, etc. etc. etc. We're basically just reading Keith Law, Kevin Goldstein and Jim Callis. Those three have crazy great information and provide fantastic perspective, but their big board isn't the gospel. It's fine to disagree with a certain pick, but I think too often people disagree with picks Because Keith Law Had This Guy Two Slots Lower Than This Other Guy I Liked Better.

Also, rumors this time last year had the Orioles taking Archie Bradley and even Jed Bradley, so take all the rumors flying around with a grain of salt . . .
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLLukeJackson

#36 RVAbird

RVAbird
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

I have him at #7 on my personal board, but who knows where the O's value Fried? He's a heck of a prospect, but I like the other guys I have rated above him -naturally- and would prefer the O's to stick with my personal board. ;)

I'll say this of Fried: he has a lot of things going for him. He's a tall lefty with lots of arms and legs and a ton of physical projection. He can flash mid-90s now with the fastball and might be able to sustain that once he fills in completely and learns to use his legs properly. He has the kind of curve you rarely see in the prep ranks and, with further mechanical development and increased feel, it could be a plus-plus pitch down the road. So, to me, that reads #2 starter upside. He's basically what you look for in a prep pitcher.

But, prep pitchers don't typically go top 5 unless they have some unusual, stand-out quality. I love Fried as a prospect, and I'm sure he's the type of arm Peterson would love to develop, but he carries too much risk at 1:4. If you're set on a tall, physical, lefty with above average velocity and plus breaking stuff, why not go with the more developed Zimmer? I know Zimmer has to prove that he can maintain stuff over a long season as a pro, but when you look at the projection on the screen for Fried you see Zimmer in terms of physicality and stuff.

Or, you could just take Gausman, who I think carries less risk and similar upside :)
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@TenthInning

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Probably good time to note that scouts have seen all these guys for years now and have a good understanding of how these kids have developed over time (is it an upward trend or is it more inconsistent?), how they look when all their stuff is working, how they look when they have no stuff working during an outing, makeup, their financial demands, etc. etc. etc. We're basically just reading Keith Law, Kevin Goldstein and Jim Callis. Those three have crazy great information and provide fantastic perspective, but their big board isn't the gospel. It's fine to disagree with a certain pick, but I think too often people disagree with picks Because Keith Law Had This Guy Two Slots Lower Than This Other Guy I Liked Better.

Also, rumors this time last year had the Orioles taking Archie Bradley and even Jed Bradley, so take all the rumors flying around with a grain of salt . . .

I care more about the local guys to be honest and a few of them are saying Fried is a real possibility but it also sounds like Appel, Buxton and Gausmann would have to be gone for that to happen.

#38 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Klaw (4:00 PM)

This is my day in a nutshell: I get a text saying "Correa to Seattle. Book it." and then within an hour get a text saying "I was told Correa wasn't their (Seattle's) pick."
@JeffLongBP

#39 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Also this.

Donald (North Carolina)

How quickly will Stroman get to the majors once he signs?
Klaw (4:01 PM)

I think you could put him in the majors tomorrow and he'd be fine. Realistically, I'd say by August 1st, because I can't imagine any team having the stones to do this.
@JeffLongBP

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Also this.

Donald (North Carolina)

How quickly will Stroman get to the majors once he signs?
Klaw (4:01 PM)

I think you could put him in the majors tomorrow and he'd be fine. Realistically, I'd say by August 1st, because I can't imagine any team having the stones to do this.

But can he get to the majors this quickly as a starter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=